Author Topic: Vent window issue  (Read 3543 times)

Offline Bobbyh83

Vent window issue
« on: March 24, 2018, 10:26:15 AM »
I reinstalled the vent windows this morning. New glass frame, old vent window frame and glass. Bottom of the window seals but the top doesn’t. I can flex everything and it seals up but nothing to hold it in place. What am I doing wrong? Pic is with me holding the bottom shut. Hard to capture in a pic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online Rapid Roy

• Euless, Texas
Re: Vent window issue
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2018, 10:48:36 AM »
I just rebuilt mine in the past week. One thing I see is the rubber around frame goes inside door frame all way around vent frame. Yours looks like it is on the outside. That may be the problem.

« Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 10:53:40 AM by Rapid Roy »
1974 Cheyenne 10 LWB STOCK 350 W HEI /TH350/AC/4 BBL Quadrajet
Mopar by Birth
Chevy by Choice

Offline Bobbyh83

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2018, 10:50:00 AM »
Fixed my screwup but issues are still the same. Now the windows fit. Want to roll up- seems like the get in a bind 3/4 if the way up. Is the metal tab on the vent window supposed to contact the door? I’m thinking this is the issue for the windows

Online Rapid Roy

• Euless, Texas
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2018, 11:17:22 AM »
If you are talking about the chrome piece about 1" square, then no it is only for the latch to slide on when closing. Maybe these pics will help.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2018, 11:19:44 AM by Rapid Roy »
1974 Cheyenne 10 LWB STOCK 350 W HEI /TH350/AC/4 BBL Quadrajet
Mopar by Birth
Chevy by Choice

Offline Henry

• Frequent Member
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2018, 11:55:40 AM »
Hi Bobby:
Did you install the screw for the top of the vent window frame? it holds the vertical track in the correct orientation for the side window to roll up and down. This screw installs from the outside of the door on top of where the vent window is in the area where the door gasket seals to the body...this screw is easily overlooked and keeps everything lined up.
Regards,
Henry

Offline Bobbyh83

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2018, 11:55:50 AM »
No there is a part of the frame that bubbles out. It isn't clearing the door lip and I feel it's putting everything in a bind

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Bobbyh83

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2018, 06:14:40 AM »
I did have all the screws installed but I see how that one could be missed. I certainly appreciate any help. I’m at my wits end with these windows and doors. Ready to work on something else

Offline Bobbyh83

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2018, 07:44:47 AM »
Also, is it possible the motors are just weak? I can get the glass all the way up if I assist. Does take a decent amount of force but I know the run channel is new. Silicone spray on everything though

Offline Henry

• Frequent Member
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2018, 10:35:54 AM »
Hi Bobby:
My truck does not have electric windows but I suspect the attachment of the vent window post is the same. In addition to the top and middle screws on the outside of the door frame there is the lowest screw for the post inside the door frame. I recall mine having a slotted hole for adjustment...is yours like this?...if so, tighten the two upper screws and leave the lower one loose and see if the window can travel properly...then tighten it up.
Regards,
Henry

Offline Bobbyh83

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2018, 02:29:59 PM »
I do have an adjustment slot. I’ll play with that. I bought the truck as an already started project so I’m not sure what was working to begin with.

Offline Bobbyh83

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2018, 10:11:02 AM »
Windows roll up better with a bit of adjustment and some time stretching the run channel.  Vent window issue persists.

Offline Henry

• Frequent Member
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2018, 11:57:39 AM »
Hi Bobby:
I am not clear on what is not fitting on the vent window....could you post a couple of pictures showing exactly what is not fitting or sealing on the vent window? Is this problem on both doors?

I also remember on my truck there is a little metal door frame bracket where the vent window vertical post just slides down inside the window opening...the vent window post can get aligned just ahead or behind this bracket which will affect the fit of both the vent and side window.

Regards,
Henry

Offline Bobbyh83

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2018, 07:24:26 AM »
Thanks for everyone's help. It seems the pivot point rivet is a bit crooked. I may have to drill it out and replace. Buy the right tools kids, a hammer and a buddy isn't the right tool to set a rivet even with the "tool" that comes with the kit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Henry

• Frequent Member
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2018, 12:41:32 PM »
Hi Bobby:
If that little hinged bracket is crooked it will also affect the fit of the vent window...maybe somebody used the plier squeezing or hammer method to set the rivet in the past and bent it. Yup, if you are going to fix everything on an old truck yourself you need a riveter...wont use it often, but you need it when you need it. If you dont have one yet I recommend the Marson Model 39000/HP-2...not the cheapest but it has all the nosepieces you will ever need for pop riveting.
Regards,
Henry

Offline Bobbyh83

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2018, 12:32:14 PM »
Sorry for the lack of updates, haven’t had much time to work. Door windows work well. Passenger vent window still won’t seal. Window is tilted toward the windshield about 3/16” at the top compared to bottom when closed. Enough the top isn’t sealing at all. Gap to the frame and toward the windshield. At a bit of a loss and it’s holding up the project. So frustrating