Author Topic: 78 chevy holley 600cfm flooding??  (Read 7341 times)

Offline chadt256

78 chevy holley 600cfm flooding??
« on: March 29, 2010, 07:29:23 PM »
ok i put my new holley 600cfm on and adjusted it a little just to run right for now, and it has been running pretty good for about 4 days.. well i dropped it off at the driveshaft shop to get some work done. Well about 5 days later...i went to get in it and it took forevor to get started, and also when it finnally did it would barely run so i let idle about 10 minutes and gave it some gas and all i wants to do is sputter and wanna cut out.. little bit blue smoke and some black?

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
Re: 78 chevy holley 600cfm flooding??
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2010, 05:28:19 AM »
take one of the sight screws out of the front and see if gas comes out
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline chadt256

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2010, 04:15:06 PM »
ok should gas come out?

Offline Prong

• Registered Users
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2010, 05:31:30 PM »
just a slight trickle is all you want to see.
79 K10 SB 4x4 383/Th350
79 K10 LB 4x4 350/SM465

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2010, 04:12:39 AM »
just a slight trickle is all you want to see.
yup thats all

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline PRattenbury

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2010, 01:10:13 PM »
Check the back bowl. They're notorious for hanging the float and flooding after getting romped on. Junk carbs, really, sorry to say.

Offline lucki17

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2010, 05:36:00 PM »
from what ive heard hollys have to be rebuilt every 1-2 years, makes me glad i have an edelbrock  ;D

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2010, 10:07:16 AM »
They ain't crap just the power valve from one good backfire can break and need to be replaced

Offline chadt256

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2010, 08:57:29 PM »
ok.. i dont have a cable ran to my choke so how do i need to keep it set like i can rig it with something but does it need to be fully closed or what do you think? And somebody said these new hollys dont have a power valve its sometnhing else? whats up with that?

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2010, 12:07:33 AM »
part stores do sell a kit for a little under 10 bucks if i can remember right. if its closes that means the choke is on open is off. not to sure about the hollys now not having a power valve.

Offline Longshot379

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2010, 09:29:23 AM »
Main thing with  a Holley is to keep it clean. They do not like trash or dirt. The least little bit of trash or dirt will cause the floats to hang up or clog a jet or passage. The best thing to do is get a good cleanable fuel filter and check it quite often.

Offline chadt256

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2010, 05:05:14 PM »
alright i got a good fuel filter on it.. ill keep check.. also the flooding deal was i guess my choke had been closed because the plate was shut.. and i opended it and it runs better but still floodin a little guessing it just needs to be ran until it clears up its been flooded so much

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2010, 04:16:05 AM »
i was once working on a cub cadetand it had a little "flooding" problem so i just ignored it to tried to get it running i knew it was getting fuel lol. so i went to crank it over and it back fired out of the carb and the gas that was dripping out caught on fire i ripped the gas tank off of it it was rigged up just to give it gas and had to use a fire extinguisher, i was at school and that did go over to well with the teacher cause he was out on lunch break and he would let us work on things if it was dangerous, who would of thought just a little flooding problem could be so dangerous ??? hint hint

Offline 78silver

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2010, 09:07:08 PM »
smokin smiley - lmao  :o
78 Silverado LB

Offline chadt256

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2010, 01:56:57 PM »
haha wow.. well i had one to do the same on a dodge ..i poured to much in the carb to get it fired up and it just went up in flames and fried everything under the hood i was wandering why it only started when i poured gas in the carb... well come to find out my fuel tank was empty.. it had evaporated after sitting so long..