Author Topic: A little bench racing.  (Read 16806 times)

Offline team39763

A little bench racing.
« on: March 07, 2008, 07:03:44 PM »
Click Click Boom
« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 04:27:37 PM by team39763 »

Offline Toolmaster

• Administrator
  • Frequent Member
Re: A little bench racing.
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2008, 07:20:09 PM »
Stay away from street racing !!  Too many people are killed street racing. (not just the drivers)

Go to your local track and make some runs. Pick-up your time slips and ask him if he can beat your time and prove it with his own time slips. The driver can make a big difference also.
Hang him !!!    (Judge Roy Bean)  Looters will be shot on site !!!

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2008, 07:24:05 PM »
put Nitrous in there and give him a little surprise lol

I agree though, keep it off the street unless you have a known good straight away that you can get away with it.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2008, 07:32:25 PM »
I would go to the track get your best average run and tell him  (if say you are in the 9's on an 1/8th mile track)  I don't race anyone that is slower than low 9s.  If you can provide me with proof that you can beat this, I will consider racing..... at the track.

Sounds like he isn't sure and doesn't want to get spanked in front of a lot of people.

The track makes everything even, If he leaves early he didn't win (and vise versa)

BTW, if he has a spool, I would NEVER be around his truck if he was racing it or driving it for that matter...
I think it would be a good race.

Offline smitty77

• Registered Users
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2008, 07:38:15 PM »
Stay away from street racing !!  Too many people are killed street racing. (not just the drivers)

Go to your local track and make some runs. Pick-up your time slips and ask him if he can beat your time and prove it with his own time slips. The driver can make a big difference also.
I agree, as an EMT I've cut too many kids out of cars from street racing.  Save it for the track.

You can tell him what an old friend told me:  "You can't brag unless you can back it up with a slip!  It's all talk until you can do it against a clock."
God rest his soul, he used to race at Epping Dragway in NH every now and again, and had a couple of 100 mph patches to his name.  Too bad a heart attack took it all away.

Offline red4wd

• Registered Users
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2008, 07:48:51 PM »
Yeah I have to echo the sentiments of the other guys...I wouldn't street race take it to the strip.

Offline team39763

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2008, 07:50:55 PM »
I already got a time slip, but that's not good enough for them.  They all think I'm scared to race him(eventhough I've raced him 6 times already).
  I thought about hooking up my nitrous kit, but my motor ain't built for it, and he's not worth it.  I'm completely happy with my truck and the way it runs.  I think they just want to race me to hurt my pride since they know they can beat me on the street...then they can say they beat a truck that ran 12.8.  Everybody got a good laugh when he beat me with that crappy 350.  That truck probably ran 15+ in the 1/4.    And ofcourse it was embarassing. We raced on that same crappy backroad, but my truck wasn't lowered and didn't have the chin spoiler.
 Definately.  I've seen the street racing wrecks.  I was involved in a highspeed crash(that's where I got the motor from) and I'm lucky to be alive.  I hit a pole at 140+ in my other truck...and it wasn't fun.  But the knuckleheads around here call you a sissy if you don't streetrace.  Several times a week, somebody comes to my house to talk trash to me about racing.  Yes, I did streetrace a few months back, but I'm convinced that it's a bad idea and I'm not doing it anymore.

Offline Toolmaster

• Administrator
  • Frequent Member
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2008, 08:12:15 PM »
I would much rather be called sissy than DEAD any day! 
Hang him !!!    (Judge Roy Bean)  Looters will be shot on site !!!

Offline choptop

• Extended cab fanatic
    • conversiontrucks
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2008, 09:14:09 PM »
Street raning is idiotic. If he can't take it to the strip and race then tell him to shut-up. I used to do the street race thing years ago in my 68 Elcamino. Everytime I won, there was some excuse, " my foot slipped, I couldn't get traction, my motor isn't runnig right etc." I am sure alot of the guys here have heard similar excuses, but at the track, the slip tells the tale. I think you would have an excellent chance on the 1/8 mile track against him rather than the 1/4 mile track due to you gearing. If he is complaining about the track tearing up trucks, then that backs up the reason I like 1/4 mile racing versus 1/8 mile racing. Here they say 1/4 mile racing tears up the vehicles more than  the 1/8 mile. Ok, I'll give you that, but if your ride holds together a full season on a 1/4 mile track, then you know how to built a race car, not just bolt on parts. I have a Honda VTX 1800 that dynoed 96 hp and 115 ft/pds torque at the rear tire. When someone wants to race, I tell them to bring me a dyno slip. If they beat me in the hp to weight ratio, I shake their hand and tell them they won. It is not worth it and I am tired of seeing young kids killed by this bull..Sorry, I get a little wired when it comes to our youth. If he wont take it to the track, then who's the chicken, plus if you get caught, it could mean your drivers liscense and who would be driving your ride then. In some areas, if you are caught street racing, your truck or whatever, will belong to the state, as well as your right to drive. So please, to anyone who is street racing or considering it, don't ..we loose to many young kids as is.
76 C10 Choptop,76 C10 Swb
85 C10, 85 K10, 85 K20,86 C10,86 K10 (all extended cabs)
86 C30 extended crewcab

Offline red4wd

• Registered Users
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2008, 09:26:56 PM »
team39763 what does you truck run some where in the 11.80 range? 

Offline team39763

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2008, 10:07:55 PM »
I ran 12.8 with no posi and no tuning.  Since then, I've worked the suspension for much better traction and the posi is working now .  The carb still needs some tweaking, but it's working good.  So, yeah, I think 11.8 is within reach the next time I go to the track. My 60ft was crap....I've seen better 60's from guys on 20's with much less power.  This motor put down 380 to the wheels in my wife's ECSB, now it has better intake, headers, less parasitic loss, and tuning, so I think the HP calculator is pretty close(as far as FWHP).
« Last Edit: March 07, 2008, 10:17:28 PM by team39763 »

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2008, 10:27:29 PM »
Did you race him previously when the truck wasn't running well?

I wouldn't let them get to you, just say I only race on the track now and let it go.

Offline team39763

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2008, 10:54:15 PM »
Yeah, they convinced me to race when my truck was backfiring and the posi wasn't working.  I know I shouldn't have been racing with the truck running like that, but I guess I just wanted them to leave me alone so we could get back to doing whatever[partying, talking, drinking(not me)].  I'm no longer in that circle of "friends"....I'm a one-man-team now.  I've been an outcast in this town since I moved here 6 years ago...I guess some things never change.  But oh well.  I should have some new numbers to report soon...my wife and I are planning to go to the track next week.  Thanks for the input/feedback guys.

Offline smitty77

• Registered Users
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2008, 08:48:37 AM »
But the knuckleheads around here call you a sissy if you don't streetrace.  Several times a week, somebody comes to my house to talk trash to me about racing.  Yes, I did streetrace a few months back, but I'm convinced that it's a bad idea and I'm not doing it anymore.
Smart move.  Worse than killing yourself, you'll wish you were dead if you kill someone else.  Just take the higher ground, offer to pay his entrance feel to the strip, and tell him to shut his mouth if he's afraid of the time slip.  People like him are always full of piss and vinegar, have all kinds of excuses when they lose a street race, and can't face the truth that their ride sucks against the clock.

Offline joesgarage71

• Wrench
Must be bench racing.
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2008, 10:49:57 AM »
  Your friend must have alot of money to spend on racing fuel to run that high of compression 14.3:1?? 93 gas isn't going to cut it. You would get better times and MPH if you put a smaller carb on there. Just bet him $50. you can beat him at the track on test and tune night, and maybe he will shut his mouth about racing you. If not put a 150 shot of spray on it and RIP HIS DOORS OFF! Then He'll shut up.
 Your getting that much HP from a stock long block 6.0?

Must be bench racing.
78' K-20 355/SM465/twin stick 205 6" on 36's
14 bolt FF/big bearing Dana 44 4.56 gears

92' GMC C-1500 454/4L80E/14 bolt