Author Topic: Driveline Vibration  (Read 46210 times)

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
Re: Should this do this?
« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2016, 07:06:24 AM »
philo, dont give up buddy. wheres the other post to show what youve covered already?
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2016, 08:08:29 AM »
When I'm done with my construction, if you want to stop by we can go for a ride so I can see what you're talking about.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠¯¯¯¯¯'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline philo_beddoe

• 77 C-10
Should this do this?
« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2016, 07:16:02 PM »
Ok Vile, let me know when your available. And thanks!

Irish, i noticed a few posts where i mentiond "the vibe". I have a habit of doing that.

Anyway, the other posts were stuff i did to the old dshaft, ujoints, etc. but now i have a brand new driveline. Its not anything in engine, of course. Not ps pump or alt or anything up there. If its in the rear-end vile will figure that out. If its a wheel, i'll soil myself. Lol,,,but its not a wheel, then it would shimmy and always be present.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 07:56:05 PM by philo_beddoe »
Behold, the day of the LORD cometh, and thy spoil shall be divided in the midst of thee.  Zechariah 14:1

Offline philo_beddoe

• 77 C-10
Should this do this?
« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2016, 07:45:01 AM »
Wonder if its IN the tranny, i did not notice vibe in 2nd gear. Driving at 40 in L2. Thats probably not good, but i had to know.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 09:37:27 AM by philo_beddoe »
Behold, the day of the LORD cometh, and thy spoil shall be divided in the midst of thee.  Zechariah 14:1

Offline philo_beddoe

• 77 C-10
Re: Driveline Vibration
« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2016, 12:18:56 PM »
Whats the tail end of the tranny called where the out-put shaft is? Is that replaceable? I wonder if thats where the vibe is coming from?
« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 12:41:55 PM by Irish_Alley »

Offline MrFiveOh

• Registered Users
  • The Local Po-Po
« Reply #35 on: September 26, 2016, 01:40:39 PM »
Philo, this vibration you feel, Is it in the seat or the steering wheel? What your describing is dead on what i had, i even swapped the same new parts you have. It turned out my Trans-mount was shot. falling apart due to it being old and a bunch of fluid ate it up. I was told by Firestone "it was good" after an inspection. I looked myself and noticed chunks of the mount were missing and falling off.     Check your mount.
1974 C-10 AKA "Smurf"
350/700R4 Hooker Headers 134-A A/C
4/5 Drop - Ridler 650 rims 20x8.5/20x10
Kenwood single din radio 2 IB-Flat Pioneer Subwoofers Rockford Fosgate Power 1000-bdcp amp

Offline philo_beddoe

• 77 C-10
Driveline Vibration
« Reply #36 on: September 26, 2016, 02:04:04 PM »
Through the seat. The tranny mount was the first thing i replaced. I wonder if its the pitch or angle of the dshaft? Anyone know how to check? Whats normal? I wonder if adding 200 lbs in the rear of the bed will do anything...

Offline MrFiveOh

• Registered Users
  • The Local Po-Po
« Reply #37 on: September 26, 2016, 06:47:24 PM »
Through the seat. The tranny mount was the first thing i replaced. I wonder if its the pitch or angle of the dshaft? Anyone know how to check? Whats normal? I wonder if adding 200 lbs in the rear of the bed will do anything...

If its in the seat your vibration is coming from the rear. I noticed your truck is lifted or stock height(?) check your pinion angle possibly? When i had the vibration i changed

rims/tire
u-joints
new wheel bearings and differential bearings
balanced driveshaft
and finally transmount which fixed it. 
1974 C-10 AKA "Smurf"
350/700R4 Hooker Headers 134-A A/C
4/5 Drop - Ridler 650 rims 20x8.5/20x10
Kenwood single din radio 2 IB-Flat Pioneer Subwoofers Rockford Fosgate Power 1000-bdcp amp

Offline philo_beddoe

• 77 C-10
« Reply #38 on: September 26, 2016, 07:16:39 PM »
Could be somewhere in the rear-end. Or in the tranny, has to be one of the two. I'll get it up to 75 and drop in neutral. Will that eliminate tranny?

Offline philo_beddoe

• 77 C-10
« Reply #39 on: September 27, 2016, 08:36:30 PM »
Ahhh, nothing like newness. Bet this 2017 dont vibrate! Just sayin...
Saw at the Big E, got a free Chevy T-shirt.

Offline Rattler12

• Registered Users
  • Old Geezer
« Reply #40 on: September 27, 2016, 09:35:58 PM »
Pinion bearing-ings, carrier bearing-ings, axle bearing
83 C-10 shorty 454, 5spd, 3:73 posi

Offline philo_beddoe

• 77 C-10
« Reply #41 on: September 28, 2016, 08:16:12 AM »
No carrier bearing (one piece shaft), probably not pinion bearing (no movement up/down, side to side), have not checked axle bearing. I'll let Vile Z. determine that when he looks at it.

I really wonder if it's inside the tailshaft housing somewhere, imo the tailshaft had too much movement. I know the the front slip yoke hold in place, but still seemed like a lot of movement. We did change bushing though.

I would love to try a powerglide just to see. I have a deep gut feeling this problem is due to the tranny. Not necessarily the tranny itself, but DUE to the tranny if this makes sense. I have a TH400 with a 350 output. It shifts great up and down. I know its not the engine area and it just doesn't "feel" like its in the rearend area, not the wheels, not the exhaust and not the driveline. Now what?? I'm getting tired of thinking.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2016, 08:20:01 AM by philo_beddoe »

Offline philo_beddoe

• 77 C-10
« Reply #42 on: September 28, 2016, 08:23:41 AM »
When I'm done with my construction, if you want to stop by we can go for a ride so I can see what you're talking about.

Vile, it seem to lighten up or change a little half way to work. But once I get on 84 and up above 55, there it is. So we may have to go on I-84, maybe stop at the new DD in Tolland. I'll buy.

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #43 on: September 28, 2016, 06:06:02 PM »
I am boycotting DD. I can't believe how much weight that crap put on me. I just started a diet again, low carb low sugar. That's all DD is is sugar galore. You can bring a bottle of Gin instead.  8)
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠¯¯¯¯¯'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #44 on: September 28, 2016, 06:16:10 PM »
i cut sugar out of my diet where i could. even got to the point of weening myself off of sugar by using honey. have you ever had coffee with honey in it??? needles to say, im happy with just no sugar lol. but tea with honey isnt too bad even when cold.
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes