Author Topic: Steering Issues, from body lift?  (Read 17228 times)

Offline Jason S

Re: Steering Issues, from body lift?
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2012, 10:39:08 PM »
Definitely loose the blocks (but you've already heard that).  A good quality lift kit will get you the lift you want safely.

On a lighter note...
If it comes to it, every time you buy a part for the 1985 get a quote ticket for the same part from the 2008 (i.e., 1985 water pump vs. 2008 duramax waterpump; 1985 fuel pump vs. 2008 duramax fuel pump;1985 transmission versus 2008 duramax transmission, windshields, radiators, bearings, etc.).  :P
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 10:40:56 PM by Jason S »
1973 GMC K2500, Super Custom, Camper Special, 350, TH350, NP203, 4.10's
1974 Chevrolet K10, Custom Deluxe, 350, SM465, NP203, 3.73's

"1) Peace through strength; 2) Trust but verify; 3) Beware of evil in the modern world"

Offline winky

« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2012, 10:37:32 PM »
I have the EXACT same problem with my truck... Blocks in the rear not sure about front.. If there are they are small. Someone told me it was the 2" body lift I had.. I may post pics tomorrow if I can

Offline firefighter

• Frequent Member
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2012, 04:56:53 AM »
I have the EXACT same problem with my truck... Blocks in the rear not sure about front.. If there are they are small. Someone told me it was the 2" body lift I had.. I may post pics tomorrow if I can

There are two different ways to lift a truck. Suspension lift or Body lift.
On a suspension lift, on the rear you either use higher arched springs or spacer blocks between the axle and stock springs. On the front you use higher arched springs only. Never use spacer blocks in the front.
On a body lift, the suspension and springs are untouched and all the lift is achieved by simply adding spacers under the box, cab and radiator support. You're simply lifting all the sheet metal further off of the frame.

Pics would be great.

Offline bake74

• Build Thread
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2012, 07:44:08 AM »

There are two different ways to lift a truck. Suspension lift or Body lift.
On a suspension lift, on the rear you either use higher arched springs or spacer blocks between the axle and stock springs. On the front you use higher arched springs only. Never use spacer blocks in the front.
On a body lift, the suspension and springs are untouched and all the lift is achieved by simply adding spacers under the box, cab and radiator support. You're simply lifting all the sheet metal further off of the frame.

Pics would be great.

The only exception to that rule is the use of a small "wedge" in front to correct steering geometry on bigger lifts.  The best way is too cut off the spring perches on the front axle and build in the angle when you weld them back on.  But most shops just use a wedge, they work and are pretty common.
#1: The easiest and most obvious solution to any problem is 99% of the time correct.
#2: There is no such thing as impossible, it just takes longer.
  74 k10, 77k10    Tom

Offline winky

« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2012, 08:27:10 AM »
well mine has blocks only in back and a 2" body lift and its having the same symptoms as his. thanks for the replys when i get off work today ill try to get some pics if it isn't raining

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2012, 04:11:10 AM »
unless you put the it in yourself i would bet the front has newer springs or the rear would be about 4" higher than the front, but whats your truck doing
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline winky

« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2012, 09:02:10 AM »
just like his i can turn to the right only half as much as i can turn to the left.. guessing i need to get an adapter for steering? i have pics now just gotta upload em

« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 09:08:54 AM by winky »

Offline bake74

• Build Thread
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2012, 08:52:36 AM »
     I know on some vehicles, that the steering box can only turn so many turns to the left and right, and there is a "center" for them.  I am not sure about these trucks, I have never rebuilt one for these trucks yet, I have to when I get to that part of my build, so I will know then.
    Maybe someone else can pipe in and say wether these boxes are like that.
#1: The easiest and most obvious solution to any problem is 99% of the time correct.
#2: There is no such thing as impossible, it just takes longer.
  74 k10, 77k10    Tom

Offline chevyjoe_99

« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2012, 08:59:50 PM »
I think it it also worth noting that when coupled with larger tires and the stress that comes with them, these trucks have a tendency to crack the frame at the steering box. I would definately check that as well.
'80 K25 High Sierra, 7" lift, 36x14.50R16.5 Swampers, mildly built 400 small block, sm465 4spd

Offline winky

« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2012, 10:05:36 AM »
I think it it also worth noting that when coupled with larger tires and the stress that comes with them, these trucks have a tendency to crack the frame at the steering box. I would definately check that as well.

already welded that and patched it up ;)