Author Topic: Windshield locking strips  (Read 1574 times)

Offline newbie17

Windshield locking strips
« on: October 03, 2018, 03:14:15 PM »
I am going to replace the windshield on my 1987 R30. It does not have a locking strip on the gasket.
My 1985 C10 windshield does have a locking strip on the gasket.
Is the locking strip better?, an optional item? Why have both methods????
Should I use the locking strip method on the new install?
1987 R-30 Standard cab. Owned for 30yrs.

Offline Henry

• Frequent Member
Re: Windshield locking strips
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2018, 11:42:57 AM »
Hi Newbie17:
Are you saying your 87's gasket does not have a groove for the locking strip (trim piece)?

I personally have never seen a squarebody without the gasket groove in the gasket.  If nobody chimes in, then you can go to the parts books(on this forum tech section) and see what the situation is.

If you do need to get the trim piece, be aware that I think the trim piece design changed after 1986. For my pre-86 truck they were available in black or silver.

My opinion: the trim piece is a good thing as it applies pressure to the outside of the gasket to seal water and dirt from getting between the gasket and windshield/body.

Regards,
Henry

Offline Henry

• Frequent Member
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2018, 01:47:29 PM »
Hi Newbie17:
I just took a look at my 76 service manual and it says that the windshield weatherstrip gasket came in two designs: base and optional. The optional had a separate trim piece that fit in the groove and they call this trim piece the "reveal molding"...this is what you call the locking strip. The base weatherstip gasket did not have the reveal molding but still had a locking strip that was integral to the gasket...it looks like a flap of rubber that is folded into the groove of the gasket. The groove in the base and optional gasket do look different and you cannot put the reveal molding in the groove of the base gasket.

You should still check out your year service manual or parts book as to what you should use as things may have changed over the years...I do know that an issue came up later in the production run where windshields were advised to be bonded in where early windshields were not...I believe on this website there is a tech bulletin that addresses this issue and you should take a look at it before you replace your windshield.
Regards,
Henry

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2018, 12:18:51 AM »
There is self locking gaskets and ones with a lock strip.  As to which is better, I think they are equal, just one doesn't require the strip.

This is a self locking gasket.
http://forum.73-87chevytrucks.com/smforum/index.php?topic=11948.msg193327#msg193327

Offline newbie17

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2018, 08:03:27 AM »
Thanks very much Henry and Captkaos. My '87 is the very basic Custom Deluxe
so that is why it has the integral lock strip. My '85 has the optional separate
locking strip. I'm ordering a new gasket and lock strip for the '85, and a new windshield will be obtained locally.
Again, thanks for the quick reply.

1987 R-30 Standard cab. Owned for 30yrs.

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2018, 10:43:51 PM »