Author Topic: 94-02 Dodge Dana 60 front (adapt to leaf springs)?  (Read 9091 times)

Offline BigHemi353

• Registered Users
  • Diesel Enthusiast
94-02 Dodge Dana 60 front (adapt to leaf springs)?
« on: December 07, 2011, 06:47:15 PM »
Looking to get a set of 3/4 or 1 ton Dana axles from a 94-02 dodge ram due to the fact that I can get them much cheaper than a older style Ford or Chevy and I can have a 3.55 gear ratio.  Is it possible to weld leaf perches on the Dodge axle after cutting the coil perches off? Dont think I want to go through the hassle of coil overs just yet. Any ideas on this? Steering problems? Possibility of death wobble? Good points or bad points I would like to hear them all! Thank you!
-1986 Silverado K-20 6bt Cummins / NV4500/ np205- under construction

Offline BigHemi353

• Registered Users
  • Diesel Enthusiast
Re: 94-02 Dodge Dana 60 front (adapt to leaf springs)?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2011, 06:50:49 PM »
Forgot to add that I'm putting a 6bt Cummins in  this truck and have already planned for the driver side drop transfer case. Thanks!

Offline Jason S

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2011, 07:43:24 PM »
I haven't heard of this swap, but here's my take:

You could put perches on the Dodge axle, but you'd want to ensure you had the correct caster when finished.  Then you'd have to fabricate a steering linkage setup, crossover steering would be lots better than the original push-pull.  At that point you could include some sort of track bar to keep the axle in check. 

What is the width of the Dodge front axle compared to the current? If it's narrower, you may have issues with turning especially with tall tires. 

Then you have to deal with the center disconnect of the Dodge axle.  You can alleviate that with a locking hub conversion kit, but they're not cheap ($1,600). 

I can't answer about death wobble.  I've had it before and it stopped after I replaced the front wheel bearings. 

Good points:  Dana 60 strength
Bad points:  Lots of conversion to perform on the Dodge axle
1973 GMC K2500, Super Custom, Camper Special, 350, TH350, NP203, 4.10's
1974 Chevrolet K10, Custom Deluxe, 350, SM465, NP203, 3.73's

"1) Peace through strength; 2) Trust but verify; 3) Beware of evil in the modern world"

Offline bake74

• Build Thread
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2011, 08:34:16 PM »
     Jason made a good point about caster.  But this would not be that hard if you had the right tools and a jig.  I have swapped many a axle under jeeps (dana 44, 44 high pinions, 60's, 70's, a couple of moog's and even 5 ton rockwells )
     In all those axles, if you do your homework first, they all worked.
     1: You need to know where the center section goes ( L or R side ), the length of each side tube ( distance from center to either backing plate or steering knuckle ).
     2: The angle of said center section compared to outer pieces.
     3: The angle of the spring perches ( so you do not need to use shims later )
     And 4 which is most important, the tubes need to be in straight so your truck will track down the street straight and not drift to one side. ( that is what the jig is for )
     Granted, this might seem complicated to most, but if you break it down into sections it is easier.  ( just make sure you do your homework first, I can not stress that enough ).     
     Good luck and keep us informed of your decision and or progress.
#1: The easiest and most obvious solution to any problem is 99% of the time correct.
#2: There is no such thing as impossible, it just takes longer.
  74 k10, 77k10    Tom

Offline BigHemi353

• Registered Users
  • Diesel Enthusiast
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2011, 07:32:57 AM »
Well, with what you guys are saying I probably shouldnt deal with this idea then. I havent really seen it done before so there must be a reason for it. I probably should just buy a old 1 ton chevy/gmc just for the axles and then have the gears swapped to the gear ratio that I want. I currently have 3.42's(which I would think would be ideal for one the road driving and a little bit of towing here and there) in my 3/4 ton axles but I know my 10bolt front will not handle the power and weight of the Cummins for too long. I appreciate the insight guys!