Author Topic: No Acceleration  (Read 15526 times)

Offline stevieray36

No Acceleration
« on: September 25, 2007, 08:30:19 AM »
1982 Chevy C10 w/350 autotrans was recently rebuilt, but used the old quadrajet. Engine idles fine and revs fine when setting. Take it for a drive and it just has no acceleration. We replaced the fuel pump, thought it might be a fuel supply issue. The gas pedal when depressed utilizes the full travel of the carb linkage. Any thoughts?

Offline 1973c20

Re: No Acceleration
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2007, 11:59:55 AM »
well since you say the transmission was previously rebuilt, and its not due to fuel issues, then most likely something in the transmission isn't working correct. since i don't know much about rebuilding transmissions, i can't say exactly the problem. who rebuilt the transmission for you?

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2007, 03:59:31 PM »
Is the TV cable hooked up and adjusted properly?
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline 1973c20

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2007, 05:52:36 PM »
it must not be VilleZambonie since he can't seem to get the Acceleration channel  ;D haha but yah that could also be the problem.

Offline stevieray36

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2007, 07:48:58 AM »
Was my question a joke? We just rebuilt the engine not the transmisson. I took the truck to a transmission shop and they found no problem with the transmission. The thought was fuel supply so I replaced the fuel pump. I guess I should get the carb rebuilt thats all thats left.

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2007, 08:40:50 AM »
No you question wasn't a joke.  I was confusing as to what got rebuilt with this statement:
1982 Chevy C10 w/350 autotrans was recently rebuilt. 
I read that as you have a 82 C10 with 350 auto trans recently rebuilt.
It is clear now that the engine was rebuilt.  Did you check the TV cable?  Have you checked for vacuum leaks?

Offline stevieray36

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2007, 09:39:40 AM »
I took the truck to a transmission shop and they checked everything out. They fixed leak at spedo cable and adjusted the modulator to make it shift quicker.  Still no acceleration, when you floor it it does not drop down a gear like it did before the engine rebuild.

Offline Lt.Del

• Andy aka:SgtDel
  • DelbridgePhotography.com
    • www.delbridge.net
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2007, 11:07:50 AM »
Check:
qjet filter (in front of carb where fuel line joins it)
do as Chris stated, check for leaks in vacuum--does it idle smoothly?
Check ignition timing and components (dist.cap, rotor, etc)

When you say no acceleration....when driving, are the rpm's reving high under acceleration and the truck just isn't going anywhere, or are the rpm's lower than what it should be?  Ir rpm's go up and truck doesn't go anywhere=transmission problems.
You said there was a leak found, was the fluid refilled to normal--must check level when engine is running and warm.

just throwing a few things out there

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2007, 01:44:46 PM »
Was my question a joke?
::)

DID YOU CHECK THE TV CABLE?
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

Offline stevieray36

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2007, 02:39:45 PM »
All new vacuum lines, new fuel filter, removed to verify orientation. New distributor, cap, rotor, plug wires, and plugs. The timing is correct, engine starts easy and idles good and revs up and down while setting still. When driving the rpm's do not increase as expected and acceleration is slow. It is like the throttle peddle has a govener on it. Again I verified that when throttle pedal is floored it is moving carb linkage fully. The transmission shop "family friend" verified fluid level.

Vile don't want to appear stupid but what is the TV cable?

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2007, 02:45:35 PM »
You don't appear stupid if you don't know what it is, just ask. The TV cable is a cable that connects to your throttle linkage at the carburetor and goes down behind the engine and into the transmission. It stands for Throttle Valve Cable. Without TV cable pressure you will have high governor pressure and essentially be taking off in high gear and have no detent. So Check that the cable is hooked up and in and properly adjusted.
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

Offline nativetexan

• Registered Users
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2007, 08:17:02 AM »
Hey vile, you think this might be what is goin on with my R4? It has a detent cable is that the same thing as the TV cable. If so it's been jerry rigged with an electrical terminal and I thought this might be why my truck takes forever to shift when starting out. What do you think??

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2007, 09:59:09 AM »
Nativetexan, if your TV cable isn't adjusted right you can burn up the trans and it will cause the same issues.  Did someone add some kind of connector to it or something?

Here is a link for adjusting it:
http://tciauto.com/Products/Instructions/instructions/gm_tv_cable_adjust.htm
« Last Edit: September 27, 2007, 10:02:39 AM by Captkaos »

Offline nativetexan

• Registered Users
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2007, 03:00:55 PM »
My uncle (the one who sold me the truck) said it broke and showed me where he rigged it. I cant realy remember it enough to discribe it, I'll check it out tonight and take pics and post. I will also try to adjust.

Offline 123 pugsy

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2007, 08:00:54 PM »
. When driving the rpm's do not increase as expected and acceleration is slow. It is like the throttle peddle has a govener on it.

De ja vu. That's exactly how my truck is running, and I know its not the tranny.
Pugsy
76 C10 LWB
TPI 350