Author Topic: No Acceleration  (Read 15534 times)

Offline nativetexan

• Registered Users
Re: No Acceleration
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2007, 10:17:42 PM »
Here is the rig job. You can see the terminal is on the cable but loosely and it causes the throttle to rev before it even tugs on the tv.

Here is a pic that shows how loose it is. I pushed down until it tensed up.

I thought if I set the terminal further down the cable and crimped it, it would improve the shifting. But no such luck. after a test drive, it still had the same symptoms. accelerates like normal and then right when it should shift it just bogs. The acceleration goes away and it is just costing.

What to do?
I couldn't find anything that resembled an adjust tab. real life pics of the instructions would help. I guess a new tv cable would help too huh.

Offline nativetexan

• Registered Users
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2007, 10:20:17 PM »
spelling correction. costing should be coasting.

would a transmission flush and a filter change help any?? I heard mixed opinions.
Vile, any words of wisdom would be great.

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2007, 09:35:25 AM »
The length of that cable is important to the operation.  The plastic piece hanging there is what normally would have connected to the throttle.

The pic you have corresponds to the instructions, but you need to push in the piece at the white arrow after pressing the release tab on the back of the bracket where it connects.  Once you have it pushed all the way in (truck not running) open the throttle up to WOT and it should click for adjustment.

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2007, 02:49:59 PM »
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠¯¯¯¯¯'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline nativetexan

• Registered Users
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2007, 09:48:06 PM »
so the release tab is behind the mount. point it out in the pic if you can. meanwhile I will get the repair kit. Will the 79 work on a 87??

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2007, 10:58:03 AM »
yeah the ends will all work... look at the gold tab in this picture. Press it in hard and push the plunger towards the firewall....

/  _ _ _\_
              ⌠¯¯¯¯¯'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

Offline DnStClr

« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2007, 11:43:53 AM »
Wow. what happened to stevieray's thread? It's been hijacked..
 I know this is basic, but after checking the tv cable like Vilezambonie says did you check to see if the emergency brake is engaged?
Don
87 Chevy Silverado

Offline nativetexan

• Registered Users
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2007, 12:25:47 PM »
Yeah, I feel bad about crashing his forum. Hopefully he got what he needed.

Anyway, Finaly found the tab. But, the plunger is already in all the way, and i can't pull it out. Also, there aren't any clicks. Does this mean it is time for a new cable? I pulled the tranny end out to verify connection and what not and it seems good. I think it is seriously jacked under the hood though. Whatever caused the connector to break might have done more damage to the cable and plunger. ??? ???

StevieRay, If you need more help chime back in I think Im gonna replace the cable and check back in.
Thanks again guys for helpin this green-horn out.

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2007, 01:33:17 PM »
In your pic the plunger is NOT all the way in. Look at the pic with the arrow. You need to push that towards the firewall while depressing the tab.
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠¯¯¯¯¯'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2007, 03:04:24 PM »
As Vile said, you don't want to pull it out, you want to push the release and push it IN.  Then move the throttle to WOT.

Offline stevieray36

« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2007, 11:01:09 AM »
No problem, glad my email maybe got answers for others. I purchased a new TV Cable "Detent Cable" from local parts store for $15. I am going to install and adjust tonight. I will let you know if it fixed my problems.

Offline nativetexan

• Registered Users
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2007, 08:59:17 PM »
okay, I finally got it pushed in. But when I cranked to WOT. no clicks nada. It didn't do anything that looked like a self adjustment. it just stayed right where I pushed it. Is that it?
I can say that it did feel a little better but, only when little acceleration is given. If I floor the pedal it still doesn't do anything. the engine stops reving, the transmission doesn't shift. it just feels like somethings holding everything in a freeze. it just stops. But, the hayne's book has that sympton described the exact same way in the troobleshooting section. And the only thing they refer to is, you guessed it, the tv cable.

So, I got one on   and will update also. when I replace it.

Offline stevieray36

« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2007, 07:43:00 AM »
Installed the new TV cable and adjusted as described. The truck now shifts as it should, when floored it down shifts as it should. Thanks to VileZambonie for his knowledge and interest in our troubles.

Know the catch, it’s my son-in-laws truck and he still feels the engine is not as strong as it should be. He feels it is under powered as compared to it before the engine rebuild.

Should I check the compression on each cylinder?

It runs fine, idles smoothly. It does run a little rough when you first start it, once it warms up it runs fine. I feel the Quadrajet needs a rebuild.

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2007, 01:08:15 PM »
What's your total timing at with the the vacuum advance hooked up and at say 2800 RPMS?
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠¯¯¯¯¯'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

Offline nativetexan

• Registered Users
« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2007, 02:53:19 PM »
another dumb question:

Huh?