Author Topic: Frame change will it work?  (Read 2784 times)

Offline 76cad

• New Users
Frame change will it work?
« on: April 24, 2004, 09:04:00 PM »
I have the 84 K-10 my Dad gave me, it has the 454, 4 speed and limited slip differentials front and rear and the 8' box. The frame is in rough shape from rust. I'd like to re-build this truck. I have an 86 suburban that had a diesel with a turbo 400 auto and 4wd, the frame is decent under this. Will this frame interchange with the K-10?. The other option I have is an 82 c-20 frame that I can cut the rear section out of and even use the 3/4 ton rear springs. Can you folks offer some wisdom?

Offline roundedline

• Administrator
Re: Frame change will it work?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2004, 10:51:00 PM »
Suburban frames are not the same as a Pickup.  In addition to the fact that a Burb's wheelbase is 2" shorter.  Is the frame rusting into, or it is just surface rust?

Chris Lucas
www.73-87chevytrucks.com
www.captkaoscustoms.com
Project Su
Jimmy 2WD Project

Offline 76cad

• New Users
Frame change
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2004, 07:17:00 AM »
The truck frame is pretty rough, with heavy flaking off rust. I don't beat on my trucks but that isn't to say that I'm not going to hook on a trailer or drag the occasional "other brand" out of a ditch. The frame is deteriorated to the point that I feel any hard twist on that old BB would have less than desireable consequenses somewhere behind the cab.

Offline roundedline

• Administrator
Re: Frame change
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2004, 11:18:00 PM »
To make it the most painless option, you really want a 4x4 frame to start with.  Spring perches on the rear of a 4x2 are different, and you would have to position and connect the fronts.  Not to mention other things I am not thinking of.

Chris Lucas
www.73-87chevytrucks.com
www.captkaoscustoms.com
Project Su
Jimmy 2WD Project