Author Topic: performance parts  (Read 4307 times)

Offline ammmotroop

performance parts
« on: December 14, 2003, 02:29:00 AM »
I am thinking about some performance mods to do to my 1985 K10 w/350. Any suggestions. So far i am adding an Accel high performance cap and rotor. Accel Super Stock wires. Bosch Platinum 2 plugs and a 14" open element air cleaner. I was also thinking about an Edelbrock Performer intake manifold and Edelbrock Performer 600 CFM carb. Should i go EGR or non EGR on the carb and intake? As far as Exhaust i want to do Headers but am unsure because i hear they can leak when it is cold and in the winter it can get to -40 hear. I also want true duals but know shop will modify the cat and i cant weld. For now i was thinking of a Flowtech raptor muffler because they are inexpensive. Anyone hear good or bad about those. Any suggestion would be great but keep in mind that i am new at this and simple upgrades would be better.

Offline 77bowtie

Re: performance parts
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2003, 09:25:00 AM »
Don't let cold weather keep you away from headers. I've lived in Alaska for years and never had a prob with headers there. Just get good studs/bolts, & keep em tight. I run Hooker Comp headers, good fit. Headers & intake manifolds are the simplest way to get HP & torque gains from your engine. I'm running an Offenhauser 360* intake with a 1''-4-hole carb spacer. Holly 600cfm carb #1850. Hooker makes a complete dual exhaust system that you could get for your truck. Good Luck & enjoy your truck...Jon
Get your hands on some good Chevy engine/performance/truck books. Check out Summit & PAW catalogs. Read,study about what you want to do to/with your truck. Idea's are unlimited. Enjoy!!

Edited by: 77bowtie at: 12/14/03 9:29 am

Offline stepside454

Re: performance parts
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2003, 11:06:00 AM »
Dont bother with the Bosche plugs. the EGR non EGR is gonna depend on you local smog laws. At -40 degrees an open element air cleaner might be a bigger problem than the headers.

Offline TORQUERULES

headers
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2004, 05:37:00 PM »
I have Flowtech headers on my 357 and they have leaked since breaking in the cam.

Get good headers and the right size gaskets.

A year later (5th set) I got the right size copper gaskets. Damage has been done. It doesn't leak to bad. but it affects the sound of my truck.

So I'm going to just deal with it till. I can swap in a 454 I will build myself.

I don't know what headers are really worth, power wise.

Some say 5hp some say 25%.

Either get Hooker or coated or repaint the headers.

The Flowtech paint cooked of the headers in the first 15 min. the headers looked 5 years old by the time the cam was broke in.  

Offline stepside454

headers
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2004, 08:09:00 PM »
how much gain from headers depends on level of performance. on a stock engine the gain will be minimal...the higher the RPms the gain is more. a stock engine that never goes past 4500RPMs will gain little, cept some low end with small tubes. An engine that revs to 6500RPMs will show huge gains with headers over stock manifolds.
As far as the Flowtechs go..Ive never had em, My friend carl loves his on his 65 Chevelle, paint stays on & he says no leaks.

Offline 77 K30 Crew Cab Dually

Re: headers
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2004, 12:49:00 PM »
Stepside454 brings out a very valid point about headers. The majority of the performance benefits come when headers are installed on an engine that will see use in the mid to upper rpm band. There will be a little bit of performance gain on a stock engine however, you may notice better fuel economy provided that you control the leadfoot. I have had great luck with hooker competition and super competition headers. The drawback on those headers is the price. Another great alternative is headman headers. As far as the overall quality of the headers is concerned, I have nothing bad to say. If you want good quality at a low/reasonable price, I would go with a descent set of headman headers. You will probably like what you get. ;)  

Offline truckofdoom

• New Users
headers
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2004, 08:33:00 AM »
I've had good luck with my Flowtech small tube headers, torque gain was nice and they'll really help me from 3800 to 6500. The paint did cook off fast though, but for a good cheap set of headers, they've been wonderful.