Author Topic: Help identify master cylinder - might be Corvette - on my 1987 Silverado 4-wheel disc brakes  (Read 3962 times)

Offline Mike Phillips

Help identify master cylinder - might be Corvette - on my 1987 Silverado 4-wheel disc brakes

I ordered a master cylinder from NAPA for my truck and its nowhere close to the master cylinder that I removed.

This truck was upgraded to 3/4 ton axels with 4-wheel disc brakes.

My friend Rob says it looks like it came off a Corvette.

Rob also said that would make sense as the addition of rear disc brakes would require more hydraulic fluid volume.

I bought the truck like this and the seller wouldn't know much as he farmed most of the work out to other shops.

I took pictures, was thinking someone else has made this change and might recognize the master cylinder.

Any guesses?

:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline Mike Phillips

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
You need to verify the port sizes so your lines will thread right in. Other than that, yes
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

Offline Mike Phillips

You need to verify the port sizes so your lines will thread right in.

Other than that, yes

Thank you.

Here's the replacement NAPA ordered for me, I'll be taking it back today and asking them to check one more time for a matching part.

Offline Mike Phillips

***Update**

Went to NAPA and talked to my buddy Donny, he and the owner, (a classic Corvette owner), looked at the master cylinder and determined it was a master cylinder off of a C3 Corvette.

They ordered me a master cylinder for a 1982 Corvette.  It will be here tomorrow morning and I'll see if she'll install and work Wednesday after work.   

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
They gave you a quick take-up master cylinder. As long as you have low drag calipers it will work as well.
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

Offline Mike Phillips

They gave you a quick take-up master cylinder. As long as you have low drag calipers it will work as well.

Thanks for the additional information.

I have know idea what a quick take-up master cylinder is?  I have 3/4 ton axels with 4-wheel disc brakes.

I have a thread about it here with pictures of the rear brakes...

http://forum.73-87chevytrucks.com/smforum/index.php?topic=33183

Here's what I know... because I had to remove the engine to get the cracks in the frame repaired and welded up and then install the steering frame support bracket.   That would be this thread,

http://forum.73-87chevytrucks.com/smforum/index.php?topic=34939

I went ahead and replaced most of the components in the engine compartment, power steering pump. brake booster, master cylinder, starter motor, water pump, etc.

Whatever was on and in the truck was this way when I bought it.  The Brake booster went bad so I replaced it and at the same time the master cylinder.

Since I bought this truck and have been driving it for the last 3-4 years the brakes have worked GREAT!

So my guess is, whatever the master cylinder was in the truck was "right" because the brakes worked great.  Replacing the old, ugly master cylinder with a new unit, as long as this new unit is the same, then theoretically the brakes should work great.

I'll find out in the next few days as I'm just about ready to fire the engine up and put her back on the road.

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)