Author Topic: Olds engine in a 2 wheel drive truck??? Opinions please  (Read 2383 times)

Offline zieg85

• Global Moderator
    • 73-87 GM squarebody extended cab and conversions up to 91 R/V series
Olds engine in a 2 wheel drive truck??? Opinions please
« on: August 13, 2011, 03:37:40 PM »
Ok, I need some opinions guys.  I am toying with putting a 5.0L engine in my 85 C10 from a 1990 Cadillac Fleetwood.  i would drop the engine/transmission in at the same time.  This appears to be an Oldsmobile engine 307.  The car the engine is now in was my in-laws and for the 10+ years they drove it clocked a little over 80K miles having the oil changed every 2K miles.  It has 159K on it currently.  The engine ran great and gave really good gas mileage on the highway.  What kind of engine frame mounts would I need?  Wasn't the early C10 diesels Olds based?  I know Haulin-it has done it.    My current TH350 has no second gear and the 305 that is in it, runs good but uses oil. 
Carl 
1985 C20 Scottsdale 7.4L 4 speed 3.21
1986 C10 under construction
https://www.facebook.com/groups/248658382003506/

Offline HAULIN IT

Re: Olds engine in a 2 wheel drive truck??? Opinions please
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2011, 11:20:25 AM »
Zieg, The swap as a whole is rather easy. I question what transmission in is the Fleetwood...200R4 would be my guess. I'm wondering what the Fleetwood mounts look like? Think big crossmember & an engine/trans assy. basically in the same general placement as the truck, I would think they should work fine. Probably need to drill a few holes? If not, there is several ways to do them. I've used the Olds parts on the ones I've done, however I know of guys who have used the Chevy ones & made a plate to attach them to the Olds block. Here's a couple pic's...I just made a flat plate across the 3 holes in the block & 2 studs to put the mounts in a nice place on the truck crossmember. The old Diesel set-ups used a plate similar on the Right side as I remember.

The rest of the swap is straight forward...alter a wire wire length/placements, head pipes, should move the battery (but not required), ect. An active weekend should do it.
Now should you should be putting in a 185,000 mile 307...that's the REAL question! Will be glad to help with any questions you would have if you decide to do it. Take Care, Lorne

« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 11:45:42 AM by HAULIN IT »

Offline zieg85

• Global Moderator
    • 73-87 GM squarebody extended cab and conversions up to 91 R/V series
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2011, 12:51:34 PM »
Thanks Lorne.  Anyway the engine has 159K but close enough.  I just know when it starts it purrs like a kitten, no smoke, no tics, knocks or anything strange.  The olds engine I know and love is the Rocket 350 and it sounds exactly like that.  I was assuming it had a 700R4 being a 1990 but will confirm if I follow through with the swap.  Anyway the Caddy is on eBay right now with less than 2 hours, may be a mute point if it sells.  Just think I could part it out, give my in-laws what they want and wind up with the engine/trans/new tires.
Carl 
1985 C20 Scottsdale 7.4L 4 speed 3.21
1986 C10 under construction
https://www.facebook.com/groups/248658382003506/

Offline Stewart G Griffin

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2011, 09:51:18 PM »
i think it's a winning combo and there is a thread i've seen somewhere where someone did the exact swap you are talking about;  Will report back as soon as i find it.

However, i think it would be more practical to just sell the car as is and then replace the engine with another chevy mill.

Offline roadrage41

• Frequent Member
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2011, 02:06:21 AM »
I think you need to come take a ride with me first.
official go'fer/ broom pusher/ token fat guy of www.yatesefi.com