Author Topic: Mud bog  (Read 16118 times)

Offline Don5

• Registered Users
Re: Mud bog
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2015, 02:29:24 AM »
I know that a lot of guys that mud bog leave their transfer case in 4 low. I think it helps compensate for the stock gears like 3:08's that most guys have. I would love to have a set of 4:10's or 4:56's just to use for mud bogs. Especially those 4:56's. :)
It's been a LONG time since I have been called a newbie. Just sayin....

1979 GMC K15 355, SM 465, 205, 3.73 Dana 44 with a Spartan Locker, 12 bolt Eaton limited slip and 6 inch lift with 36 x 12.50 Super Swamper TSL's.

Offline Don5

• Registered Users
« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2015, 02:31:49 AM »
You leave that transmission in 1st and boy is she going to whine and I mean loud. I'd say 2nd and 4 low is where you want to be. IMHO.

1979 GMC K15 355, SM 465, 205, 3.73 Dana 44 with a Spartan Locker, 12 bolt Eaton limited slip and 6 inch lift with 36 x 12.50 Super Swamper TSL's.

Offline LTZ C20

• "I'm here for a good time" -George Strait
« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2015, 01:38:40 PM »
Why on earth did you run thru with your windows down?!?! Haha just kidding.
LTZ Cheyenne C20

Offline enaberif

« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2015, 02:55:12 PM »
What do guys do to not over rev their trucks? I mean running 4 low in 1st or 2nd is going to send your rpms through the roof. Are you just watching the rpms?

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2015, 02:57:54 PM »
lol i have no tach or temp gauges. i stripped the dash shortly after parking it. just guessing but i was prob around 5k. the motor hasnt been worked on and she wasnt breaking up. but i will definitely have a tach and temp gauge of some sort
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: September 17, 2015, 03:03:43 PM »
i never had the urge to roll up a window. i rolled them down due to how hot/warm it was but i never minded getting muddy when i go mudding

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline enaberif

« Reply #36 on: September 17, 2015, 03:06:45 PM »
lol i have no tach or temp gauges. i stripped the dash shortly after parking it. just guessing but i was prob around 5k. the motor hasnt been worked on and she wasnt breaking up. but i will definitely have a tach and temp gauge of some sort

LOL! Your nuts.

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: September 17, 2015, 03:10:32 PM »
yeah. it was kind of "oh crap" moment then time was running short and we had other things to work on. like changing the rag joint and changing the front gears to a non broken unit that had posi. then we also had to work on the blazer and the ford. i didnt have her floored i just hope i didnt cook anything. might need a new clutch but it still moving right now

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: September 17, 2015, 03:11:41 PM »
it was different cause when we normally mud we have to worry about water more than mud. here there was some water but not much

Offline Don5

• Registered Users
« Reply #39 on: September 17, 2015, 09:14:42 PM »
What do guys do to not over rev their trucks? I mean running 4 low in 1st or 2nd is going to send your rpms through the roof. Are you just watching the rpms?

I have a tach but you can tell by the sound when it starts getting tight.

When you mud bog you worry more about momentum and wheel speed. If I am throwing the mud in big chunks then my rpms are high enough. If I am turning a high rpm and not seeing a lot of mud being thrown then I ease up on the throttle to let the tires bite. If I ease up and the mud is still not flying then I am probably slowing down or at a stop. In which case I will give it the gas while turning the steering wheel left or right to get the truck to move. If the truck doesn't move then I am probably done.

It's all about momentum and wheel speed. It is not like you put your foot to the floor and hold it. I mean you can do that but if your wheels are spinning too fast to bite then you are going nowhere. I have seen too many people crank their truck up only to slow down and eventually stop because the rpm's are too high for the tires to get a bite.

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #40 on: September 18, 2015, 12:46:42 AM »
the first time as soon as i felt my engine slowing down i just quit. the second time i kept my wheels straight till i slowed down then i turned them and they bit and i was off again. never really thought about slowing the tires down and seeing if they would bite more. i was always told you need all the wheel speed and keep them spinning. makes sense to slow them down sometimes

Offline LTZ C20

« Reply #41 on: September 18, 2015, 01:57:34 PM »
i never had the urge to roll up a window. i rolled them down due to how hot/warm it was but i never minded getting muddy when i go mudding
Nothing wrong with getting dirty.
LTZ Cheyenne C20

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: September 18, 2015, 02:54:15 PM »
you know what us funny me and my buddy in the blazer are the only ones with our windows down that i saw lol

Offline LTZ C20

« Reply #43 on: September 18, 2015, 07:54:54 PM »
Your the only ones I saw in the pics.
LTZ Cheyenne C20