Author Topic: Inner Rocker Panel Question  (Read 93891 times)

Offline JJSZABO

Re: Inner Rocker Panel Question
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2007, 03:08:00 PM »
They are usually a little larger - I had to cut them down to the size I need.  The extended cab floor section measures 24"W X 33"H.  That is what I used.  I started with the five piece cab repair kit sold on this site. 
Jeff

86 Chevy C-10
350, TH400
Ex father and son project (son lost interest)

Son regained interest when truck was almost completed

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2007, 11:18:30 AM »
We are going to add a new 5 piece kit option that is the smaller floor piece, it is going to be $52.95...

Offline malibu795

• Frequent Member
« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2009, 08:07:41 PM »
We are going to add a new 5 piece kit option that is the smaller floor piece, it is going to be $52.95...

found this via yahoo  .. got to love the search function :)

who makes the metal? its cheaper then goodmark,  , jcwhitney and brothers

BTW OP how did the truck turn out? its been ~2 years :)

adam wildman
75 K25 383/400
79 malibu 454/T56 305rwhp/432rwtq 15.6@92.8mph
02 2500HD D-max/allison best time 13.77 @ 99mph 463rwhp/930rwtq

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2009, 12:01:31 AM »
TriPlus, same people that stamp Goodmark.  Well are a distributor for Goodmark also, but some of the parts are not all Triplus.

There is a post on JJ's truck here somewhere recently.

Offline ModelKing

• Gear Head
« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2012, 08:36:16 AM »

First off, I'm sorry for bringing up such an old topic, but I've been having trouble figuring this out  myself. How do you weld the floor to the cab support? On my truck, that horizontal piece on the inner rocker is holding the floor up above the cab support about an inch and a half, and there is no way the weld them together. Though it could just be me and it's supposed to be like that, and if that's the case I'm sorry for bringing this up.

TIA

Offline thirsty

• Suitor's Garage
« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2012, 01:09:41 PM »
These repair panels are close but not a perfect fit. You have to do some fitting and tweaking to get them in. You might need to cut some off the inner rocker top or bottom to get the floor to drop down further. Or you might have to rework the flange of your floor piece that sits down on the inner rocker. Maybe both. The floor pan is intended to be cut in flush but most people including myself lay them on top for a little extra strength. What I meant by that was I leave a 1/2" of the original floor to go under my new floor pan where I can. That always raises it up some too. When I recently did the drivers side of my current truck I added some flat stock to the cab support too.
Real trucks are built, not bought Build thread

Give me a long enough lever and a place to stand, and I shall move the earth or break this bolt...Whatever, just hold my beer!

Offline ModelKing

• Gear Head
« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2012, 01:56:33 PM »
These repair panels are close but not a perfect fit. You have to do some fitting and tweaking to get them in. You might need to cut some off the inner rocker top or bottom to get the floor to drop down further. Or you might have to rework the flange of your floor piece that sits down on the inner rocker. Maybe both. The floor pan is intended to be cut in flush but most people including myself lay them on top for a little extra strength. What I meant by that was I leave a 1/2" of the original floor to go under my new floor pan where I can. That always raises it up some too. When I recently did the drivers side of my current truck I added some flat stock to the cab support too.

Hey thanks for the help! If it's not too much trouble could you please take some pictures of what you did to your truck? Thanks.

Offline thirsty

• Suitor's Garage
« Reply #37 on: August 07, 2012, 06:36:49 AM »
Basically my pictures are the same as in this thread except I don't have a picture of the flat stock used to shim the floor support to rocker panel piece.

This was cutting the rust out of the floor. It wasn't completely cut out in this picture but you can see the support I was talking about. At this step I fit the floor too.

I fit the inner rocker panel where I needed it. On this one I had to cut the bottom of it off some. Then I laid the floor back in and and measured the gap between the support and the new floor and shimmed it to fit with flat stock.

Real trucks are built, not bought Build thread

Give me a long enough lever and a place to stand, and I shall move the earth or break this bolt...Whatever, just hold my beer!

Offline ModelKing

• Gear Head
« Reply #38 on: August 07, 2012, 02:27:11 PM »
Thanks a lot man, Really helped me out! Thank you!

Offline nucknoel89

• Frequent Member
  • Proud to be Canadian!
« Reply #39 on: September 01, 2012, 10:52:33 PM »
Sorry to bump this, but is the floor pan spot welded from factory (like everything else)? I'm still removing the old sheetmetal and my floor is pretty scaly with rust so I can't really tell.  I've got it cut around the edges and I've cut the spot welds on the side of the floor brace (that part is the inner rocker, I guess).  Any help?

Offline hotrod24

« Reply #40 on: September 02, 2012, 09:56:36 AM »
Yep all of the sheet metal on these trucks from the factory was spot welded...
1980 1/2 ton shortbed project...
1978 pontiac grand prix...