Author Topic: Lost a locking hub! Now what...?  (Read 3735 times)

Offline rich weyand

Lost a locking hub! Now what...?
« on: April 06, 2014, 07:35:47 PM »
I'm walking back to the truck from the driver's side, and it doesn't look right.  Closer look, and the driver's side locking hub has left the building. 

Hub was a "Wolverine" from a PO, whatever that is.  But when I replace things on the truck, I always go quality, so I have the WARN 9790 hubs coming, with the spindle nut kit and wrench.  But I am not big on lifting this thing up to work on it.  Is it safe to drive it to the garage (~10 miles) like this?  I know it's not *smart* drive it around like normal, and get it all full of dirt and water (rain expected next two days), I just want to make sure it's *safe* to drive as it is.
Rich

"Working Girl": 1978 K-10 RCSB 350/TH350/NP203 +2/+3 Tuff Country lift

Offline bake74

• Build Thread
Re: Lost a locking hub! Now what...?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2014, 09:40:48 PM »
     Are these the ones you have ?

I can not find them on the web being sold anyway.  It seems as though the whole outer guts and ring fell off, so I would say that you can drive it to the shop and not have to worry about the rest coming off.  I would make sure nothing else could come off before driving as I am sure you will.  Also I am sure you will clean up everything and service it all when the new hubs go on, so you don't need to worry about destroying those.   ;D
#1: The easiest and most obvious solution to any problem is 99% of the time correct.
#2: There is no such thing as impossible, it just takes longer.
  74 k10, 77k10    Tom

Offline dvdswan

• Frequent Member
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2014, 09:52:47 PM »
you should be fine going 10 miles or so if its just on the black top. 

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2014, 10:25:56 PM »
the only problem i can think of is if the grease heats up it will come out. then the bearings might cook themselves
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline FlatBlack77

• Cheap Fast Reliable - Pick 2
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2014, 11:04:35 PM »
you should be ok to drive where you need to go as long as you take it easy. stay away from the highway stick to backroads and maybe stop once or twice to check it

you could also ziptie/ductape a plastic bag over the end assuming you arent going to drive fast enough or brake hard enough to heat things up to the point of melting it
"When you are a hammer, everything looks like a nail"
'77 C/10 - 350/350 mild street motor