Author Topic: Cracked Frame fixed. WOW!  (Read 1772 times)

Offline fiddler

• Site Supporters
  • Registered Users
  • 74 Chevy C10 Stepside
Cracked Frame fixed. WOW!
« on: July 02, 2020, 12:23:11 AM »
So I have a 1974 Chevy C10 Stepside.  A previous owner attempted a frame repair around the steering box and botched it.  One of the steering box bolts was cross threaded and put in about 1/4 inch from the end leaving a gap, which allowed the frame to flex.  The truck wandered all over the road.   I ended up putting a through bolt on the cross threaded hole and using a flat washer next to the crack on the frame and pulling the steering box up tight against the frame which stabilized the steering and stopped the truck from wandering all over the road.  Temporary fix, that lasted about a year.  I shuddered to think about what was going on at that fix every time I drove the truck.  Anyway, finally found someone who had experience with C10 frame repairs in the area.  I ordered the Off Road Designs frame repair kit and frame reinforcement.  The welder installed it for me, and I picked the truck up today.  It drives like a sports car now.  Even all tightened up so the frame did not move with my temporary repair and the great improvement in the steering there was still movement in the frame even though I could not see it.   The only issue now is that the steering wheel is not straight at the middle anymore.  Is it possible to realign the steering wheel in the driveway  or do I need to take it to an alignment shop?  Anyway, it drives like a new truck now....  or maybe a Ferrari  LOL.
Ricky

Online VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
Re: Cracked Frame fixed. WOW!
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2020, 07:17:23 AM »
With the 4WD trucks, you can simply adjust the drag link to straighten the steering wheel. In 2WD, the sum of the individual toe measurements at the center of the steering gear equals the total toe and centering of the steering wheel. I highly advise going to an alignment shop that knows what they are doing. This is a not a common alignment and you will be hard pressed to find a shop that actually knows how to properly align your truck these days. Do your homework first and don't assume today's technician will know what to do with your truck. I would soak the adjusting sleeves for a few days in penetrating oil as well as the upper control arm shafts and nuts before you take it in, then hose it all off thoroughly so that the tech won't waste time combatting rust and years of caked on crud.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline fiddler

• Site Supporters
  • Registered Users
  • 74 Chevy C10 Stepside
Re: Cracked Frame fixed. WOW!
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2020, 09:50:33 PM »
Thanks much.  My alignment guy is really good with the truck.  He pulled it in for me no sweat.  The truck was pointing to the right a bit after the steering box replacement.  So it got 25 miles of driving like that and I don't think I hurt the tires too much.  Straight as an arrow now.  Really handles like new. 

Ricky