Author Topic: Three on the Tree column rebuild  (Read 3838 times)

Offline jbsealy

• C10 84
Three on the Tree column rebuild
« on: January 06, 2019, 08:43:05 PM »
Gentlemen,

Took the column out of my 3 speed 1984 C10 I6 today.  The column shift has needed some adjustment/lubrication and then it got to where I had to twist the heck out of the key and curse heavily to get the starter to engage.

Disassembling the unit with lots of pictures so I can get it back together.  The FSM is not all that helpful.  Some of the components on my column are not pictured or referred to in the manual.  The manual categorizes directions etc by years and the 1984 falls into the "1973 forward" group.  Anyway I got it all down to what you see in the picture where I am attempting to separate the turn signal/key cylinder housing and it will only go as far as you can see here. No matter where the key cylinder is turned or if the cylinder is removed will it go any farther. All the screws are removed, but it catches on something.  Might any of you fellows have any ideas?

Any other ideas or resources on this later model column with shifter would be welcome.

Thank you very much,

Selo

Offline zieg85

• Global Moderator
    • 73-87 GM squarebody extended cab and conversions up to 91 R/V series
Re: Three on the Tree column rebuild
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2019, 09:44:53 AM »
Are you saying you cannot remove the lock cylinder out of the column?
Carl 
1985 C20 Scottsdale 7.4L 4 speed 3.21
1986 C10 under construction
https://www.facebook.com/groups/248658382003506/

Offline jbsealy

• C10 84
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2019, 12:09:49 PM »
Hi Carl,

Apologies, I did not make that very clear.  Note the ~1/2" gap between the section of column housing which contains the key cylinder and the section which contains the shift lever.  I can not pull them any farther apart.  Manual seems to indicate it should slide right out. Just so you know, I can remove the key cylinder and turn it as needed.

JS

Offline jbsealy

• C10 84
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2019, 02:09:44 PM »
Carl,

I worked with it until blue in the face, wiggling the dang thing every which way and it came out.  I'm still not certain  what was keeping it from coming out, but out it is.

Thank you again for reading my post and taking an interest.  I'll keep you posted.

JS

Offline zieg85

• Global Moderator
    • 73-87 GM squarebody extended cab and conversions up to 91 R/V series
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2019, 02:26:53 PM »
I've never taken any column apart beyond the housing with the key and non-tilt even.  I have 1 busted collar 3 on the tree in my 86 and 2 others.  Never even tried because the parts are NLA from GM and no one made aftermarket that I could find.
Carl 
1985 C20 Scottsdale 7.4L 4 speed 3.21
1986 C10 under construction
https://www.facebook.com/groups/248658382003506/

Offline JohnnyPopper

• Old Goof
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2019, 04:39:07 PM »
You have to remove the key cylinder by pressing the locking spring holding it in.

That will reveal a rod with a drive gear that, when turned by the key, lifts an intermediary connecting arm that is connected to your switch.

Carefully observe how many turns it take to release, and you will know how to reassemble.

My intermediary broke in a tilt column, learned the hard way.
1957 Apache 3100 235 Inline 6, 3 on the tree
1973 C-20, 3+3 454 4BBL TH400  Water Injection
1978 K-10, 350 4BBL TH350 NP203 M.M. Part time Kit/Hubs
1980 C-10 under construction

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2019, 05:13:47 PM »
Remove nut retainer and steering wheel nut.
Using a suitable screwdriver, pry cover upward from lock.
Depress lock plate and pry snap ring out of groove. Remove snap ring and lock plate.
Remove turn signal switch, lock cylinder, ignition switch, dimmer and buzzer switch.
On column shift models, remove upper shift lever pivot pin, then the shifter lever.
Remove upper bearing thrust washer, 4 retaining screws and housing assembly.
Remove thrust cap from lower portion of housing.
Lift ignition switch actuating rod and rack assembly. Remove rack preload spring, lock rack bolt and spring assembly from housing.
Remove shift lever detent plate.
Using a suitable screwdriver, push ignition switch actuator sector through lock cylinder hole.
Remove gearshift lever housing and shroud from steering column jacket assembly.
On floor shift models, remove transmission control lock tube housing and shroud.
Remove shift lever spring from gearshift lever housing.
On floor shift models, remove lock tube spring.
Pull steering shaft from lower end of steering column jacket assembly.
Remove back-up light or neutral safety switch from steering column.
Remove lower bearing retaining clip.
On automatic transmission and floor shift models, remove lower bearing retainer, bearing adapter assembly, shift tube thrust spring and washer.
On manual transmission column shift models, remove lower bearing adapter, bearing and first reverse shift lever. Remove gearshift housing lower bearing from upper end of steering column jacket.
Assembly

Coat all friction surfaces with suitable grease.
Install sector into turn signal and lock cylinder housing.
Install shift lever detent plate onto housing.
Insert rack preload spring into the housing.
Assemble locking bolt onto crossover arm on rack, then insert rack and lock bolt assembly into the housing.
Install thrust cup onto bottom hub of housing.
Install gearshift housing lower bearing. Align bearing indentations with steering column protrusions.
Install shift lever spring into gearshift lever or lock tube housing. Install housing and shroud assembly onto upper end of column jacket.
With shift lever housing in position, install turn signal and lock cylinder housing onto steering column jacket.Ensure gearshift housing is in Park position and rack pulled downward. Ensure turn signal housing is completely seated on the steering column jacket.
Install lower bearing into adapter assembly.
Insert shift tube assembly into lower end of the steering column jacket. Rotate assembly until upper shift tube key engages housing keyway.
On automatic transmission and floor shift column models, assemble spring, lower bearing and adapter assembly onto bottom of steering column jacket. While holding the adapter in position, install lower bearing reinforcement and retainer clip. Ensure clip snaps into the steering column jacket and reinforcement slots.
On manual transmission and column shift models, loosely install steering column jacket and shift tube attaching screws. Assemble first-reverse lever, lower bearing and adapter assembly into bottom of steering column jacket. While holding adapter assembly in place, install bearing reinforcement and retaining clip. Ensure retaining clip snaps into steering column jacket and reinforcement slots.
Install neutral safety or back-up light switch onto steering column.
Install steering shaft into steering column, then the upper bearing thrust washer.
Install turn signal switch, lock cylinder, ignition switch, dimmer and buzzer switch, if used.
Install shift lever and shift lever pivot pin.
Install steering column assembly into vehicle.
Install dash panel to steering column bracket. Torque bracket bolts to 30 lb ft
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline JohnnyPopper

• Old Goof
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2019, 11:52:13 PM »
Well, then there's that...
1957 Apache 3100 235 Inline 6, 3 on the tree
1973 C-20, 3+3 454 4BBL TH400  Water Injection
1978 K-10, 350 4BBL TH350 NP203 M.M. Part time Kit/Hubs
1980 C-10 under construction

Offline jbsealy

• C10 84
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2019, 07:12:51 AM »
Zeig,

Thanks.  Parts availability is the issue with straight drive on the column. 

Johnny,

Thanks.  I have removed the key cylinder.  Will look at the intermediary arm with care.

Vile,

Thank you for making the effort to send the section in the Factory Service Manual.  I have the manual and find many parts named in the text are not labeled as such on the diagram. As mentioned in my first post, it is not as clear as I had expected.

Thanks again for the comments and suggestions.

JS

Offline hatzie

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2019, 05:03:57 PM »
Your other option is the parts and illustration books.  The added bonus is you have all the original GM part numbers.  The downside is you just have a blowup with part numbers and no dis-assembly/re-assembly instructions.

The service manual instructions on these are sadly lacking.  You could try the 67-72 service manuals as the columns are fairly similar.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 05:06:15 PM by hatzie »
SVC & wiring mans --> Here http://tinyurl.com/7387BRD-SVCMAN or My Bucket @ http://tinyurl.com/SQ-SVCMAN
Parts & Illustr Books -->http://tinyurl.com/SqParts
GMSTG Textbooks-->http://tinyurl.com/STG-TEXTBK
Radio Manuals-->http://tinyurl.com/DELCORADSVC

Offline jbsealy

• C10 84
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2019, 07:21:11 PM »
Thank you Hatzie.  Good info and advice.  Yeah, the FSM just does not provide the detailed instruction necessary to give me confidence.  I found some electrical contact on my work bench today and am clueless as to its origin.  I grow weary. 

The only components on these trucks unavailable in the aftermarket is the 3 speed column shift.  The deeper I get into the disassembly the more I am losing confidence in being able to get all parts restored, replaced, lubricated etc and back in working order.

THUS today I decided to have the column rebuilt.  There is a company that will completely rebuild my column, lubricate, paint, replace electrical components and signal switch etc etc.  It is very pricey, but I want the dang truck running.  I'll send it off and get it back in a week or so ready to install with a 1 year warranty. YOHOO!!

I'll be back with an update on the column and will need everyone's kind assistance on other issues like rebuilding the carburetor in hopes of stopping the throttle stumble.

Thank you all for the advice, very appreciated.

JS

Offline jbsealy

• C10 84
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2019, 08:38:17 PM »
So I sent the column off to be rebuilt.  Figured now is the time to check out the intermediate coupling.  Found one tutorial on line that was decent.  So I took it apart and it looks good. Still plenty of grease after 35 years.  Ordered a new rubber shaft boot, but will reuse all other parts. Going to install a new flex coupling at the steering gearbox.

JS