Author Topic: Ground up 86 4x4  (Read 158195 times)

Offline SGarage

• Suitor's Garage
Re: Ground up 86 4x4
« Reply #45 on: August 02, 2011, 09:22:29 PM »
Holy shoot! You did all that without me?

Offline thirsty

• Suitor's Garage
« Reply #46 on: August 02, 2011, 09:29:07 PM »
I even did the pictures without you there SGarage. All I had was my phone camera though. lol
Real trucks are built, not bought Build thread

Give me a long enough lever and a place to stand, and I shall move the earth or break this bolt...Whatever, just hold my beer!

Offline SGarage

• Suitor's Garage
« Reply #47 on: August 02, 2011, 09:30:59 PM »

Missed you on Sunday on the way to the Speedway. Will your rig be able to fly?

Sure hope so!

Offline thirsty

• Suitor's Garage
« Reply #48 on: August 02, 2011, 09:40:56 PM »
Friday night is a truck/garage night. Oren is coming to get the stepside bed. You should be there. Saturday we are planning on going to a track just not sure which track yet.

Give me a long enough lever and a place to stand, and I shall move the earth or break this bolt...Whatever, just hold my beer!

Offline SGarage

• Suitor's Garage
« Reply #49 on: August 02, 2011, 09:48:10 PM »

Perfect. We'll be able to add some depth to the rebuild threat with a story and some photos

Offline thirsty

• Suitor's Garage
« Reply #50 on: August 07, 2011, 03:47:56 PM »

Missed you on Sunday on the way to the Speedway. Will your rig be able to fly?

Sure hope so!

@SGarage I just realized that the track had a monster truck show that weekend and that is one of your pictures! Nice job on it. Glad it didn't squash you.

As far as mine flying...those days are probably over for me. This being the third frame and second body on this truck I'm finding it hard to find the parts, money, and time this time around. I really want to keep this truck around so I don't think it will see any hard wheeling like we used to do.

Offline thirsty

• Suitor's Garage
« Reply #51 on: August 07, 2011, 04:07:50 PM »
The passengers side of the cab is taking shape now.

Welded in the floor patch.

Got the inner cab corner, outer cab corner, and the rocker panel patch welded.

Still got some grinding to do. I had a harder time welding this cab corner on. I think they ground into the sheetmetal too much when they put the other cab corner on this cab. Then I took all their filler off so I'm sure I took a little off too. It made the existing metal thin and I had to go over my weld again and fill holes that I blew into it. I wish I had lap welded this corner on but it is good now, just looked like I had never welded anything before. Not that I am a professional welder but I can usually do better.

Offline thirsty

• Suitor's Garage
« Reply #52 on: August 17, 2011, 07:44:08 AM »

Offline 70fastback

« Reply #53 on: August 18, 2011, 10:22:54 AM »
love the last photo, but I don't hate body work.  Kind of like it actually...kind of therapeutic in a sense [if you can believe that]...the beer does help tho, LOL.  Great job on the truck!!!

Offline thirsty

• Suitor's Garage
« Reply #54 on: August 18, 2011, 04:30:13 PM »
the beer does help tho, LOL.
Yes it does
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 04:58:25 PM by thirsty »

Offline Bitzer!

• Smiles per gallon
« Reply #55 on: August 18, 2011, 04:53:57 PM »
love the last photo, but I don't hate body work.  Kind of like it actually...kind of therapeutic in a sense

I have to agree with the body work & the satisfaction when it looks good!

The trucks coming along nicely bud, little and often  ;)
1979 GMC CrewCab  C20 1t
454 750 Holley,TH350, 14bolt diff fully floating
Why aren't there 8 days in a week!
A K5 rolling shell *new addition*

Offline 1979C20

• Kyle Taulton.
« Reply #56 on: August 19, 2011, 04:29:06 AM »
I think body work is nice too, as I have OCD and it satisfies me need for perfection. It is a lot of hard work though. Im just happy I have an arizona truck and the only rust I have is on my passenger wheel well from the condensation off the AC. The truck looks great. I just began body work on mine and im going to do a custom paint job. This kind of stuff inspires me to finish my truck.
1979 SCLB C20 Q-jet 350 SM465 14b F.F. 4.10 G80
1989 GMC Suburban V2500 TBI350 TH400 4in lift 35's 14b SF

Offline thirsty

• Suitor's Garage
« Reply #57 on: August 19, 2011, 08:10:47 AM »
I definitely enjoy the reward of having it done. If I had the tools to do body work better and more efficiently I would enjoy it more, I'm sure. I can get everything up to 90% easily, it's just that last 10% of perfection that messes with me. A mig, grinder, DA, and a sanding block doesn't make a very good body shop. haha,
Another thing is that I usually only have an hour or so here and there to work on the truck so if I am having a tough time with it I walk away. Other times though, when things are going good and I'm into it I hate to stop when I am on a roll. Therapy to me is just being in the garage getting to work on my truck with no distractions. On the nights when things aren't going well instead of making more work for myself I usually grab a lawn chair and a cold beer and stare at it (self prescribed therapy session).

Now I have moved onto getting the inside of the cab ready for paint before I take the cab off to do the underneath. I used to be opposed to cutting dashes for stereos but I want to have a din head unit in it, so I need to get that done and deal with the areas that weren't prepped good enough for the repaint that was done. Some small areas their paint didn't adhere and I don't want that when I do my paint.

Offline 1979C20

• Kyle Taulton.
« Reply #58 on: August 19, 2011, 10:45:20 AM »
Those are the same tools im using! But I am using just a vibrating electric palm sander, not a DA. Good luck woth geyting everything done. I hate going out to work on my truck and knowing.its only a one hour job, then something stupid goes wrong and it takes 3 hours to fix.
1979 SCLB C20 Q-jet 350 SM465 14b F.F. 4.10 G80
1989 GMC Suburban V2500 TBI350 TH400 4in lift 35's 14b SF

Offline thirsty

• Suitor's Garage
« Reply #59 on: August 19, 2011, 08:24:39 PM »
Well I did something fun tonight. I cut the dash for a din head unit. It was really simple with the cab being gutted.