Author Topic: Turn Signal / Brake Light Issues  (Read 669 times)

Offline Hubcap706

Turn Signal / Brake Light Issues
« on: June 20, 2023, 08:47:27 PM »
Upon LS swapping my 79 C10, I finally was at a point to get the lighting and light housings together all around. I have purchased new bulbs for parking, brake and side markers (non LED). My dash is Dakota Digital and my headlights are RMS 7" headlight LED conversion kit. My setup is fully grounded all around as well. Here are the issues that I am having:

No lights on: Right blinker turns on, but engages the parking lights, dash backlight, and rear lights as if the hazards were on.

Lights on: Right and Left blinker do not blink at all..

Rear brake lights: Both lights work when the lights are on, but the brake lights only works on the left side when the pedal is pressed.

I did not change any under dash wiring when I completed my swap. I am not fully aware if this was an issue before the swap as the truck was not drivable. There are no open wires in the lighting wiring harness as I checked it and loomed it as well.

I did swap both of the flashers in the relay box under the dash (got this from another thread)

I am at a loss of ideas. Any of the electrical gurus have any?

Thanks a ton!

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
Re: Turn Signal / Brake Light Issues
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2023, 01:02:55 PM »
All of the symptoms you describe can be caused by poor, floating, or otherwise open ground connections.  Physically validate ALL of the grounds.  Refer to the tech article, "Vehicle Ground" for details.
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline JohnnyPopper

• Old Goof
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2023, 09:17:56 PM »
Wow bd, I had the same thought but it seemed he said the grounds were checked/good.

The only thing I would add would be to use my old standby DeoxIT D5 to clean every point of contact.
1957 Apache 3100 235 Inline 6, 3 on the tree
1973 C-20, 3+3 454 4BBL TH400  Water Injection
1978 K-10, 350 4BBL TH350 NP203 M.M. Part time Kit/Hubs
1980 C-10 under construction

Offline Hubcap706

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2023, 08:24:04 AM »
Thank you both for the quick reply, and for the link to the tech article. I'll give all of the grounds another look over this week and see if anything described in the article.