Author Topic: 4" shcakle flip, Does it create much "wheel hop", need ladder bars?  (Read 2737 times)

Offline califorinadream

• New Users
Im building an 82 3/4 ton 4x4 regular cab long box GMC, I put the ORD 4" shackle flip in the rear and 6" spring up front to make it sit level. Im running a punched out 454 making roughly 500 Horsepower and 35" BFG Mud terrians.  I know the shackle flip is a popular way to go but i havent found to many guys talking about if it creates a lot of wheel hop and if ladder bars are usually added down the road to solve that.  My truck will be mostly drivng on the road but it will have the occassionally jaunt in the sand at the dunes.. So anybody have any ideas on this?? Looking for some feed back before i finish the restoration and wishing i would have put the ladder bars on before the exhaust was ran. Thanks guys

Offline zieg85

• Global Moderator
    • 73-87 GM squarebody extended cab and conversions up to 91 R/V series
Re: 4" shcakle flip, Does it create much "wheel hop", need ladder bars?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2012, 09:43:05 AM »
Welcome from NW Indiana.  I would make an assumption that the reason no one talks about it is there is not an issue with "wheel hop".  I am sure the 4x4 guys will chime in on this.
Carl 
1985 C20 Scottsdale 7.4L 4 speed 3.21
1986 C10 under construction
https://www.facebook.com/groups/248658382003506/

Offline califorinadream

• New Users
Re: 4" shcakle flip, Does it create much "wheel hop", need ladder bars?
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2012, 09:41:23 PM »
My thoughts exactly or at least thats what I am hoping just dont want to get to Silver Lake and wish I had them on

Offline scorpion

• Registered Users
4" shcakle flip, Does it create much "wheel hop", need ladder bars?
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2012, 12:20:02 AM »
Yeah, with that much power, it probably will.  Wheel hop is the rolling of the diff under the springs.  This rolling is caused by the springs turning into an S and then snapping back into place.  I'm not sure why the shacks flip would increase wheell hop.  I have the ORD 2" flip with the 4" shackles and 3" leaves and I don't notice it but I also don't wheel it or have that healthy of a motor.  In the snow I get mad hop though.  Not having weight in the back makes it worse.  I really think its the leaf springs that cause it and a ladder bar will cure it.