Author Topic: Can you lower a 4x4?  (Read 5184 times)

Offline 19Blazer78

Can you lower a 4x4?
« on: September 03, 2004, 01:37:00 AM »
I'm looking for a 78 Blazer but 2wd's are harder to find than 4x4's SO, is there a way to lower a 4x4 but still keep the use of 4wd?

I like the look of lowered trucks but still want to keep 4wd for the snow and all in winter.

Offline 77c15

• Frequent Member
  • combustion=suck, squeeze, bang, blow
    • My cardomain site...
lowering 4x4 blazer
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2004, 09:44:00 AM »
Well, here's what I have been told by Summit Racing Equipment and Bell Tech: Drop springs, shackle and hanger kits, and drop spindles will lower ANY vehicle if they are intended for the vehicle. The only problem is, neither company recommended going off-road with the components. Lowering components typically make for a tighter and lower suspension, and a lower center of gravity. The guy at Summit (1.800.230.3030) assured me that their lowering components are pretty stout, and affordable. Also, new shocks are a MUST when you lower. You'll need shorter ones to keep everything from bottoming out, unless you like that!
-Mike

Stomp my flag and I will stomp your @$$!

Offline 19Blazer78

Cool!
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2004, 10:08:00 AM »
Thats what I was hoping for! I want to lower it but not slam it to the ground. I have to drive on some pretty uneven/bumpy gravel and dirt roads for short distances to visit family. But if I could make it in a 94 Camaro I think I could make it in anything.   Thanks, Mike

Offline roundedline

• Administrator
Not on a 73-87....
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2004, 11:35:00 AM »
NO there is NO WAY to lower a solid axle 73-87 Chevy any more than what the leafs are sagging.  Any lower and you will have serious steering interference issues

Summit was talking about the 88-up IFS setup, and they are limited to how much you can got down also for the same reasons plus the CV joints.

Chris Lucas
www.73-87chevytrucks.com
www.captkaoscustoms.com
Project Su
Jimmy 2WD Project