Author Topic: Viper Alarm & Power Door Locks  (Read 8651 times)

Offline LTZ C20

• "I'm here for a good time" -George Strait
Viper Alarm & Power Door Locks
« on: July 03, 2014, 10:09:42 PM »
Hey all. Need a good electrical guy here. I'm pretty dangerous with wires but not a expert.

I put a viper alarm in my truck about a year ago I think. Maybe 8 months, not sure. I hooked it up and it all works except for locking and unlocking the doors with the remote. I have power windows and doors in my 79 from an 85. All original wiring harnesses and such.

Now I followed the instructions and found which wires are pulsing POS and NEG depending on which way the switch is pressed and I hooked up the wires from the viper box to those wires on the truck. So far it was hooked up right but when I use the remote the system DOES arm and disarm, but the doors DON'T lock/unlock.

Ideas?? Thanks.
LTZ Cheyenne C20

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
Re: Viper Alarm & Power Door Locks
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2014, 10:19:17 PM »
Can you PM the Viper wiring diagram to me?
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2014, 12:50:41 AM »
i know when i put door poppers in i used unlock for drivers side and lock for passengers side. it wouldnt work with out a relay. now granted i think the poppers pull a lot more juice than what your using it for but could that be a reason?
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline bake74

• Build Thread
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2014, 08:04:34 AM »
     The power windows and wiring harness you installed. 
     Did you put the whole door on or just the power windows ?
     Did you change the whole wiring harness in your truck cab or just add the power window harness from the 85 to your 79 ?
     Is there a way of scanning the wiring diagram for the viper and posting it ?
     I have used a couple of Viper alarms throughout the years, love them, especially the older ones when they first came out with the voice warning's instead of the horn going off.
#1: The easiest and most obvious solution to any problem is 99% of the time correct.
#2: There is no such thing as impossible, it just takes longer.
  74 k10, 77k10    Tom

Offline LTZ C20

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2014, 10:21:05 AM »
BD, yes I can.

Irish, see that's the thing, it is hooked up to the relay. I connected the two viper wires at the corresponding wires on the truck right at the trucks lock/unlock relay.

Bake, no door, just window and lock equipment. Did not change the 79 harness, just added the 85 stuff on, been working great since I put it all in. I'm gonna try posting the viper harness. I hate those voice things lol.
LTZ Cheyenne C20

Offline LTZ C20

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2014, 10:36:31 AM »
Wiring diagram.  The 2 wires that I'm working with are the Blue and Green wires. The 2 highlighted ones on the diagram.
LTZ Cheyenne C20

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2014, 03:07:34 PM »
So, you connected the green and blue Viper wires to terminals 4 & 5 (2-wire plug) of the door lock relay?

Jumper a test light between terminals 4 & 5 of the relay with the harness connected.  Does the test light pulse when you trigger the remote?  What happens?
Rich
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!

Offline LTZ C20

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2014, 05:58:39 PM »
Uhhhh, no. I connected the blue wire to the gray terminal and the green wire to the tan terminal of the 3 wire plug on the lock relay (the plug with the orange wire).

I did this because, using my multi-meter, the gray wire would pulse +12V when I pushed lock and the tan would pulse +12V when I pushed unlock.

Unlock on the Grey wire doesn't pulse any power and lock on the tan wire doesn't pulse any power.
LTZ Cheyenne C20

Offline LTZ C20

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2014, 05:59:50 PM »
I will have to try the jumper tomorrow when I get back to it.
LTZ Cheyenne C20

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2014, 07:00:35 PM »
     ??? 

Look at the 1979 Wiring Manual, page 9, Power Door Locks schematic.  The factory gray and tan wires are normally grounded through the relay.  Connecting the alarm to those two circuits may have blown an internal fuse in the alarm. 

Check the Viper by disconnecting the blue and green wires from the relay and then placing your test light between them.  If the test light pulses when you trigger the remote the alarm is okay and you can proceed.  If the test light doesn't pulse, check for a blown fuse integral to the alarm.

The relay control circuit is black/white and light blue (the 2-wire plug).  Reconnect your blue and green alarm wires there and try it....
Rich

Offline LTZ C20

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2014, 07:44:51 PM »
So the 79 diagram and the 85 diagram are the same? Sounds like they are cuz the colors are the same.

I used my multi-meter and found that the alarm will pulse 12 volts thru both the blue and green wires depending on which button you press, lock or unlock. Blue being the lock and green unlock. This was after I disconnected them from the relay so I'm guessing that the alarm is still working properly.

It should not matter which color goes to which of the 2 wires on the 2 wire connector right? If not I will just hook them up and see what happens. If lock makes it unlock then just swap the wires right? Making lock lock and unlock be unlock.
LTZ Cheyenne C20

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2014, 08:22:44 PM »
So the 79 diagram and the 85 diagram are the same....  If lock makes it unlock then just swap the wires right, making lock lock and unlock be unlock.

That's it!

Actually, there's an error in the 85 diagram.  That's why I pointed you to the 79 manual.
Rich

Offline LTZ C20

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2014, 02:52:38 AM »
Ok sweet. I'm gonna try that then. So what's the error in the 85 diagram??
LTZ Cheyenne C20

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2014, 09:51:14 AM »
...So what's the error in the 85 diagram??

Because of a "printer issue" the internal ground connections for the relay coils are misrepresented. 

The way it's shown the relay won't work (no voltage is applied across the relay coils) and the circuit will blow a fuse the instant either door lock switch is flipped (switched power is routed directly to ground).
Rich

Offline LTZ C20

« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2014, 10:39:34 AM »
Interesting. So in 79 they had a printer that knew what the heck it was doing and didn't screw around lol.
LTZ Cheyenne C20