Author Topic: starter dead?  (Read 5401 times)

Offline 75_chevy

• Registered Users
Re: blown fuse
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2014, 07:13:11 PM »
I jiggled the wires by the solenoid and it stopped trying to fire up.. but I can't trust that so I'll have to figure out what is making contact

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2014, 07:26:23 PM »
You had grounded hot wires behind the starter earlier today.  When you repaired this did you accidentally cross-connect the purple wire from the "S" terminal of the starter solenoid to the 3/8" battery cable stud on the starter?  Or, is there unobserved damage still lurking inside the tubular heat shield, etc?
« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 10:27:07 PM by bd »
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline 75_chevy

• Registered Users
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2014, 07:35:24 PM »
I believe I did connect a purple wire in with the nut but where is the purple wire supposed to go? also what does the "s" terminal look like? (please don't say like an s, I don't see it)

Offline 75_chevy

• Registered Users
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2014, 07:44:19 PM »
ok I had accidentally smashed the purple wire in not one spot, but two spots..

Offline 75_chevy

• Registered Users
Re: starter dead?
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2014, 08:40:13 PM »
I fixed the wire going to the fusible link but the problem persists. I'm going to test the battery cable but I can't quite understand what I'm supposed to do.. how can I connect the multimeter to both ends? or do you mean one end at a time?

Online bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2014, 09:19:22 PM »

The "S" terminal is the small #10 stud protruding from the brown plastic end cap of the solenoid that is closest to the engine side of the solenoid pictured above.  That is the terminal that energizes the starter when you turn the ignition switch to "crank."  If you look at the solenoid carefully with a light, the end cap is marked with the letter "S" next to the stud. 

Still referring to your image, it appears there is a blue terminal without a wire attached to the "R" terminal of the solenoid.  That terminal should be removed and no wire should be connected to "R."

I suggest that you replace that burned 12-gauge wire entirely, end-to-end, and protect it with a new 16-gauge fusible link following the instructions in the Tech thread linked by Vile, above.
Rich
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!

Online bd

• Global Moderator
Re: starter dead?
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2014, 10:22:35 PM »
I fixed the wire going to the fusible link but the problem persists. I'm going to test the battery cable but I can't quite understand what I'm supposed to do.. how can I connect the multimeter to both ends? or do you mean one end at a time?

With the battery cable connected to the battery and starter, attach the positive lead of the voltmeter to the battery positive post and the negative lead of the voltmeter to the 3/8" cable stud at the starter.  The meter will indicate zero volt.  Next, have an assistant crank the engine while you watch the meter.  Any voltage reading will be the voltage consumed by the cable.  If, while cranking, the meter registers over 0.5 volt and the starter is in good condition, replace the cable.  Repeat the process on the battery ground cable - but reverse the voltmeter leads, so that the negative lead is on the battery negative post and the positive lead is on the cable end that attaches to the engine.  Over 0.5 volt reading, replace the ground cable.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 10:28:15 PM by bd »
Rich