Author Topic: Turn Signals Stopped Working!  (Read 5218 times)

Offline MichaelSnapper

• Getting Better
Turn Signals Stopped Working!
« on: August 05, 2016, 11:44:28 AM »
Hello, I have an 86' C10 Silverado Edition. When I put the key in & turn to the on position, the turn signal fuse blows. Flashers okay. Any help, suggestions, diagrams would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Offline boulky12

• Registered Users
  • Dallas, TX Daily Driver
Re: Turn Signals Stopped Working!
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2016, 01:57:12 PM »
I might not be of much help, buut try looking at the actual wires for the turn signal lights.

Could be something as simple as a broken or exposed wire grounding out on metal.
86 Swb GMC, 2/2 drop, stock 305/350, Quadrajet, Dual Tanks, 3.08 gears, Rally wheels

Offline MichaelSnapper

• Getting Better
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2016, 02:00:37 PM »
Hello, Thx. I did do a quick ck, nothing.

Offline philo_beddoe

• 77 C-10
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2016, 12:46:17 PM »
Not sure on an 86, but mine were not working at all either. I had bad bulbs AND a bad printed circut board.
Behold, the day of the LORD cometh, and thy spoil shall be divided in the midst of thee.  Zechariah 14:1

Offline MichaelSnapper

• Getting Better
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2016, 01:33:54 PM »
Hello, thx for your reply. Flashers are working, so bulbs ok. Board should be, will ck. Ty

Offline philo_beddoe

• 77 C-10
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2016, 10:48:44 PM »
Sounds like the switch in the column then. But i'm not an expert like some are on this site. Just sayin.
Behold, the day of the LORD cometh, and thy spoil shall be divided in the midst of thee.  Zechariah 14:1

Offline MichaelSnapper

• Getting Better
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2016, 10:55:40 PM »
I hoped to stay away from the column. Never took one apart. Another learning experience. Any advice? Thx.

Online bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2016, 12:08:32 AM »
Does the turn fuse blow consistently as soon as the ignition is switched on?
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline MichaelSnapper

• Getting Better
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2016, 02:12:35 AM »
Yes, everytime.

Online bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2016, 09:58:09 AM »
Unplug the turn flasher and switch the ignition on.  Does it still blow the fuse?

No - There is a shorted (blue) wire between the turn flasher and the turn switch.

Yes - Leave the flasher unplugged and unplug the harness from the backup light switch at the base of the steering column inside the cab.  Switch the ignition on.  Does the fuse still blow?

No - The backup light switch is shorted.

Yes - There is a shorted (blue) wire between the TURN-B/U fuse and the backup light switch.
Rich
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!

Offline MichaelSnapper

• Getting Better
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2016, 01:31:13 PM »
Did all you said. Unplugged harness, pull flasher unit, fuse still blows when I turn the ignition on.

Online bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2016, 02:19:17 PM »
Did all you said. Unplugged harness, pull flasher unit, fuse still blows when I turn the ignition on.
...There is a shorted (blue) wire between the TURN-B/U fuse and the backup light switch.

This can be anywhere in the blue wire running between the TURN-B/U fuse and the backup light switch, or the short blue jumper connecting the fuse to the flasher socket - including behind the fuse box.
Rich

Offline MichaelSnapper

• Getting Better
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2016, 04:06:42 PM »
Ok, if I understand. I have an issue between the fuse box & the harness, not in the column. I only have a test light no meter. Plz explain for my limited knowledge. Thank you.

Online bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2016, 04:41:42 PM »
The problem is in the few feet of blue wire between the fuse box and the backup light switch.  OR, wires are shorted (pinched) behind the fuse box, between the fuse box and the bulkhead connector.

Removing the turn flasher isolated the fuse from the steering column wiring, so the short is not in the column.  Unplugging the backup light switch isolated the fuse form the backup wiring, so the short is not in the backup wiring outside of the cab.

You won't need a meter or test light.  Finding the short is a matter of following the wires and looking for physical damage or compromised insulation.

A tool that may assist you, however, is a 10-amp auto reset circuit breaker with a couple of test leads attached that you can substitute for the fuse while troubleshooting.
Rich

Offline MichaelSnapper

• Getting Better
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2016, 12:35:39 PM »
Hello, haven't gotten to yet. I needed to say Thank you for your time & help! Will let you know my progress. Thx again, ttys!