Author Topic: Wipers won't turn off 1985  (Read 28579 times)

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
Re: Wipers won't turn off 1985
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2014, 11:21:53 AM »
I thought you went through the ground carrousel once before - lol. 

As Zieg pointed out:
  • battery-to-engine,

• battery-to-radiator support,

• battery-to-frame rail,

• right rear cylinder head-to-cab firewall.
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline Fairlane514

• Frequent Member
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2014, 01:38:38 PM »
Tested all my grounds, as you have listed….all good. Im going to get another "new" wiper switch….Its the one component that causes the issue when plugged into the system

Offline Fairlane514

• Frequent Member
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2014, 02:07:19 PM »
Ok, here something else I tried.  Using continuity …….On my new switch plug end, I placed one probe on the solid black wire. Then I touched the other probe to each wire to see if i had continuity. The blue wire showed continuity in the "off" position. As I rotated the wiper switch to delay , Lo and Hi, continuity would change to different wires.  This seems normal, except I would expect no continuity between the black wire and any other wire in the "off" position.

On my old switch the black wire had continuity with the purple wire. I cannot verify if the old switch is in the "off" position because the detent is broken, so it just spins freely. Both switches cause the wipers to come on when the ignition key is in the on position.

I was able to break continuity in the new switch between the black wire and blue wire, by turning the knob to "mist."  Unfortunately when I plug the system back together and turn the knob to "mist" the motor still runs in Lo.

Im taking my multi meter with me to the auto parts store and test the "new" new switch and see if its the same.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 02:10:11 PM by Fairlane514 »

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2014, 02:11:38 PM »
Black should connect to black/light blue in the off position to complete the park circuit.
Rich
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!

Offline Fairlane514

• Frequent Member
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2014, 03:47:13 PM »
Ok, that appears to be correct in the new switch.  I went to the auto parts store and another new switch tested the same….blk and light blue have continuity in the off position.

Also, just want to verify…..there is not a relay anywhere in the system, right?
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 04:03:22 PM by Fairlane514 »

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2014, 04:24:23 PM »
No relays from the factory.
Rich

Offline Fairlane514

• Frequent Member
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2014, 05:05:01 PM »
Well……I'm at a total loss.  I pulled the fuse block from the firewall, no wires seem to be melted or corroded.

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2014, 05:14:36 PM »
No continuity between the individual wires when disconnected from the switch and motor?  And, no continuity to ground on any of the wires when disconnected?
Rich

Offline Fairlane514

• Frequent Member
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2014, 06:33:53 PM »
With wiper switch disconnected from motor harness,…….continuity between gray-blk/lt blue        purple-blk/lt. blue       purple-gray

With the whole system hooked up and key on (motor running in the off position) I have power to the white wire on the motor (3 wire terminal) and faint pulses on the gray wire. With that 3 wire terminal disconnected I only have power to the white wire.

With motor running in the off position from the inside I have pulse low power at the gary wire only on both sides of the motor harness and the wiper switch to the column.

Wiper switch terminal from column unplugged, key off…..purple wire has continuity to ground

Offline Fairlane514

• Frequent Member
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2014, 06:50:21 PM »
FOUND IT!!!!!!!!      The purple wire had a small break in the insulation and was grounding out just under the turn signal switch. The purple wire ground continuity was the big clue.

Thanks bd!

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2014, 07:27:09 PM »
That's GREAT!!  Cause we were running out of options...!  -LOL
Rich

Offline Nthefamily

« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2019, 02:27:52 PM »
If you unplug the wiper switch and ground gray with ignition on, the w/w motor should run at low speed; ground the purple and it should run at high speed; ground the blk/lt blu and it should park.  Does it?

bd,
I understand this is an old post, but ran across it when searching for answers since I have encountered the same issue with my wipers on my '85 K10 not turning off unless the ignition is off.

The wiper motor is only several years old and I've driven the truck maybe 800  miles since I installed new wiper motor which was only once in the rain (no I do not drive it much at all).

Things I've tried:
1) Eliminated the delay module out of the circuit and wipers still stay on with the wiper switch in the off position (have column mounted switch & tilt column). Wipers do not change speed nor do they delay when operating the switch, only run on slow speed.

2) Unplugged the park terminal from wiper motor and wipers stop anywhere on the windshield when unplugged

3) Removed park terminal apparatus from w/w motor, plugged the 2 wire harness up to it, turned switch on and pushed the bracket on back of park terminal to break the connection (similar to ignition points) and w/w's stopped. They didn't park at bottom of windshield, but did stop running.

4) As you state above in your quote - I unplugged my switch and grounded the gray w/ignition on and w/w motor ran at slow speed, grounded the purple and it seemed to have sped up some while running; grounded the blk/lt blue and it kept running on slow.

Question in regards to the quote above where you gave suggestions to try with the wiper switch unplugged: With w/w motor continuing to run when grounding the blk/lt blue, does this sound like my switch or the park switch on motor?

Thanks

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2019, 02:02:41 PM »
Most likely a mechanical problem with the park switch mechanism or a faulty park switch.  There may be a less-than-perfect ground to the dash switch, too, as a separate issue.  Remove the washer pump assembly and reconnect the wiring to the w/w motor.  Watch the rotation of the nylon cam and the interaction between the cam lobe and the park switch.  Make sure there is no broken or missing spring.
Rich

Offline Nthefamily

« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2019, 02:48:02 PM »
Will do, thanks.