Author Topic: Wiring up power windows and door locks  (Read 67930 times)

Offline blazer74

Re: Wiring up power windows and door locks
« Reply #45 on: February 25, 2016, 04:17:21 AM »
I run the power window circuit from a dedicated # 12 wire .    From the firewall junction thru a 30 amp breaker to a ign powered 30 amp relay to the window circuit connector.
Works fine for now. My setup is from a 78 that I added to my 74.

Will add the window relay mod eventually as well as the headlight relay mod.

Offline LTZ C20

• "I'm here for a good time" -George Strait
« Reply #46 on: February 25, 2016, 09:27:35 PM »
I was going to get new headlights and do the relay also with tax money but decided to rebuild/replace the entire suspension. Probably would have been alot cheaper to just do the headlights but I tend to favor throwing 2k at this truck every chance I get.....
LTZ Cheyenne C20

Offline frotosride

• WFO CONCEPTS
« Reply #47 on: February 25, 2016, 09:53:28 PM »
This is exactly what I did since the passenger switch received power from the drivers switch.  The only issue is that there has to be a diode in both passenger relays but only on the wires coming from the driver's side switch.  Otherwise there will be feed back and blow the fuse.

Only, that isn't what you did.  Referring to your diagram, by connecting the driver (master) switch directly to the right window relays (R3 and R4), you rewired the master and passenger switches into a crossed circuit configuration.  That configuration shunts power directly to ground through the master switch when the passenger switch is actuated - hence, the need for isolation diodes.  You introduced the complication when you added the two jumpers between the tan and dark blue/white wires from the master switch and R3/R4. 

If you hadn't jumpered the driver switch to R3 and R4, but instead, simply rerouted the power leads that connect to the right motor directly to the R3 and R4 relay control terminals and allowed the driver switch to operate the passenger window motor through the passenger window switch, the short circuit never would have occurred.
Oh the things you see clearer when someone removed from the situation gives some input. I may just rewire it like that since I have yet to put the diodes in.
"Beat it like a red-headed ford"
1987 v10 Silverado(LQ4), 87 R10,83 K20, 83 cucv 6.2 Detroit
2006 Boulevard M109R 109 cid,2019 M109R BOSS
2009 Jeep XK, (future LS Swap)
GSXR 750 engine awaiting go kart

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #48 on: May 15, 2016, 03:34:51 PM »
Just circling back to this now since i had some time and just finished redoing mine in my truck. You need to have the power feed on the passenger side switch and use two diodes in order for the passenger switch to operate. They work excellent
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline frotosride

• WFO CONCEPTS
« Reply #49 on: May 15, 2016, 10:38:18 PM »
I'm going to have to come back to this one when I actually get time to put this differential back together but I was sure that it needed at least one diode. Thanks maybe sometime this summer a passenger can roll down that window instead of me....maybe!
"Beat it like a red-headed ford"
1987 v10 Silverado(LQ4), 87 R10,83 K20, 83 cucv 6.2 Detroit
2006 Boulevard M109R 109 cid,2019 M109R BOSS
2009 Jeep XK, (future LS Swap)
GSXR 750 engine awaiting go kart

Offline oldfrt84

« Reply #50 on: July 03, 2016, 05:27:49 PM »
Just found this thread and got lost somewhere in the middle! I have a 78 Silverado with the old style power windows and no power locks. But I got a deal on both doors from an 85 or 86. Don't remember now. The new doors have both power windows and door locks and I'd like to make everything work. I can muddle my way thru a wiring diagram but still struggle sometimes with electrical. Should I try to use some or all of the original window harness or just run all new with relays? I replaced the window motors a couple years ago but had to order them because no one carried them. Apparently an older version. Any help or advise is appreciated!

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #51 on: July 03, 2016, 07:23:10 PM »
Set everything up factory especially if you are not proficient with electrical. For the PL harness, you need the PL relay too which is located to the right of the steering column on the metal bracket. Either find a donor or buy a new harness.
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

Offline SUX2BU99

• My Cardomain Site. Truck is on Page 6.
« Reply #52 on: November 09, 2017, 01:34:30 AM »
What a cool thread! Getting somewhat lost trying to read all the wiring discussions. So has a clear, working schematic been posted yet to wire in the relays?

My truck has the older style switches and motors. The drivers side one was replaced and is definitely faster than it used to be but my switch is finicky now. I have to really push the switch 'in' to get it work. The passenger side is a slow as it always has been and I have to rock it up and down to get it to go up, otherwise it needs a push!

Are the window switches serviceable? Just wondering why mine is being touchy now. They are way more pricey than a 82-up switch for some reason. Can I just retrofit a newer switch and harness to the older wiring?
85 Chevy Silverado C10 short, wide, yellow, 2wd. Lowered, 60-over 350 with Dart Iron Eagle heads and Comp Cams XE268 cam, TH350 w/ shift kit, 3.40 Gov-lok 12 bolt.

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #53 on: November 09, 2017, 07:58:01 PM »
Dorman sells replacement switches HELP! ones work great.

I didn't look through this thread thoroughly but IIRC the diagram posted was flawed in that it was missing a power feed on the pass side and the diodes. remind me tomorrow and I will redraw it and post it in here. Long day today, I'm toast.
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

Offline SUX2BU99

• My Cardomain Site. Truck is on Page 6.
« Reply #54 on: November 12, 2017, 05:25:38 PM »
Thanks Vile. And if I'm understanding this right, the 4 relays are being put in to provide power to both sides of each motor, so that they go up and down. The window switch then just becomes the trigger for each relay, depending on whether the switch is operated in the up and down position.

Diodes as I recall are for allowing power to flow only 1 way, like a check valve on a pipe. I'm curious where the diodes need to go.
85 Chevy Silverado C10 short, wide, yellow, 2wd. Lowered, 60-over 350 with Dart Iron Eagle heads and Comp Cams XE268 cam, TH350 w/ shift kit, 3.40 Gov-lok 12 bolt.

Online bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #55 on: November 21, 2017, 03:46:53 PM »
Thanks Vile. And if I'm understanding this right, the 4 relays are being put in to provide power to both sides of each motor, so that they go up and down. The window switch then just becomes the trigger for each relay, depending on whether the switch is operated in the up and down position.

Diodes as I recall are for allowing power to flow only 1 way, like a check valve on a pipe....

Yes, to all of this ^^^^^.

...I'm curious where the diodes need to go.

Is the suspense nail-biting?    8)
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline Inchief

• New Users
« Reply #56 on: February 22, 2018, 06:41:07 PM »
Ok so I am working on installing power windows and door locks in my '87 stepside and I find this thread. I was getting excited about having a good solution to the wiring harness upgrade but as it turns out close but no cigar. It would be real nice to have a wiring diagram that works. And maybe a part number for the diodes if they are needed.

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #57 on: February 22, 2018, 06:52:57 PM »
BD and I compared notes and have similar drawings. They function the same way either way but we both agreed that the gains for the extra amount of work unless you are doing a complete replacement and all new wires that it wasn't something we wanted others to think would be a problem solver. The factory setup works perfectly and is generally troubled by mechanical resistance. I'd hate to see someone go through all of this and have the same end result. a quick test would be to actuate your power windows directly from your battery and see if the problem goes away. If not you can bet that the problem is mechanical ie seals, track, regulator, worn out motor etc. I suppose there is no harm in us posting the relay powered diagram that works but I highly advise that you try to fix the factory system correctly first.
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

Online bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #58 on: February 21, 2021, 04:21:15 PM »
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)