Author Topic: Spare tire carrier assembly  (Read 10803 times)

Offline Halogin13

Spare tire carrier assembly
« on: October 27, 2017, 12:29:19 PM »
Hi all, can anyone please post the parts required to mount a spare tire (under the bed) for an 87 V10? I’m confused as to what I need.. too many options on the interwebs...please and thank you 🙏🏻
1987 V10 P/U

Offline Halogin13

Re: Spare tire carrier assembly
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2017, 01:03:57 PM »
Maybe pics of one mounted?? 🙏🏻😊
1987 V10 P/U

Offline zieg85

• Global Moderator
    • 73-87 GM squarebody extended cab and conversions up to 91 R/V series
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2017, 04:06:12 PM »
Just 3 pieces.  If I wasn't on vacation I have pictures on my desktop looking under my C10.
Carl 
1985 C20 Scottsdale 7.4L 4 speed 3.21
1986 C10 under construction
https://www.facebook.com/groups/248658382003506/

Offline Halogin13

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2017, 04:44:33 PM »
Thanks! If you remember when you return, post me up 😊
1987 V10 P/U

Offline 75gmck25

• Frequent Member
  • 1975 GMC K25 Camper Special, 350/TH350/NP203
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2017, 05:18:31 PM »
- There is a cross-member on the frame right behind the back bumper, and a 2nd spare tire cross-member bolted across the frame farther toward the front of the truck.  These are the two bars that the tire pushes up against.
- There is a threaded bolt extending down on the left side of the truck, bolted to the frame at the top and bolted to the spare tire support on the bottom.
- On the right side of the truck there is another bolt extending down, and it has a large metal clam-shell "nut" on it. There is a threaded plastic/nylon insert inside the clam shell.  The side of the clam-shell has a hole in it that is large enough to fit the lug wrench tapered end, so you can use the lug wrench to remove the clam-shell.
- The spare tire cross strap is attached to the threaded bolt at the left, and at the right side it has an elongated hole that allows the clam-shell nut to pass through.  You line up the clam-shell the right way and it passes through the hole, but won't slip out when tightened.
- Riveted to the top of the tire cross strap is two L shaped pieces that extend up into the wheel, and are supposed to keep it from slipping off the strap.
The 3 major pieces are the cross-strap (with L brackets riveted on), and two bolts (right side should have the clam-shell nut, but you can also use a regular nut and large diameter washer.

You let the spare tire cross strap hang down on the left, and put the spare tire on the strap so that the L-shaped pieces are inside the inset of the wheel.  Then push up on the right side of the support until you can slip the clamshell nut through the hole.  Then tighten the clamshell nut and it will pull the tire up against the two frame supports.

Warning - Mounting the spare is a PIA job.  You can get the tire slid onto the cross strap, but when you try to push it up it will tilt back and forth and try to slip off.  You need to be almost completely under the truck to lift it evenly and hold it steady.  I've found that its easier if you get it up high enough to slip a hydraulic jack underneath, and then hold it steady with one hand and jack it up with the other.  Then turn the clamshell nut to pull it up, while you work it around your exhaust pipes and trailer hitch.

Bruce
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 05:20:50 PM by 75gmck25 »

Offline roundhouse

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2017, 05:24:25 PM »
I wold use one from a late model vehicle with the winch cable

We used one from a van
But almost every truck or van nowdays has a winch cable dealie to lift the tire up

Much easier to use and not that hard to install

Offline Jason S

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2017, 09:59:01 PM »
Not the factory bolts, but these photos should give an idea of what the assembly looks like.

Stamped nut with earhole is on the passenger side near the back bumper mounts.  Other hanger bolt is further forward on driver's side of frame.
1973 GMC K2500, Super Custom, Camper Special, 350, TH350, NP203, 4.10's
1974 Chevrolet K10, Custom Deluxe, 350, SM465, NP203, 3.73's

"1) Peace through strength; 2) Trust but verify; 3) Beware of evil in the modern world"

Offline Halogin13

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2017, 09:44:20 AM »
Thanks everyone for the responses!!
1987 V10 P/U