Author Topic: Oil pressure sender switch  (Read 3748 times)

Offline Jerr-conn

• Registered Users
  • Retired tool maker
Oil pressure sender switch
« on: November 10, 2017, 02:49:59 PM »
My 87 Chevy 350 / 700r4 has the cluster gauges. The P O replaced the orig oil pressure gauge
With a mechanical gauge, which is hooked up to a location by the oil filter, which is fine. I want
To go back to orig gauge, but I need to know where the orig gauge sender was located. Reason
I'm asking is I have cruise control , which is right about where the sender is normally located
In back of block on top, or with cruise was the original  sender down by the filter. Also, the wire
I need for hookup, is it tan or dark blue?  Thanks.
Jerry

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
Re: Oil pressure sender switch
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2017, 03:55:13 PM »

The oil pressure sensor (OPS) pictured above connects to the factory gauge through a single tan wire.  The most common location for the small block TBI OPS is just above the oil filter at the left rear lower corner of the engine block.  The device next to the distributor (pictured below) is the fuel pump oil pressure switch with orange and tan/white stripe wires attached through a brown connector.

Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline Jerr-conn

• Registered Users
  • Retired tool maker
Re: checking orig oil pressure gauge
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2017, 05:26:29 PM »
Well, finally got around to checking out my orig oil pressure gauge, to see if it was useable.
Now has mechanical gauge. So I did as suggested from the good folks on this forum.
Had the battery out of truck for winter. Put batt back in, turned ignition to on, while watching gauge,and it pegged out to 60#.  Next got wife out to watch gauge.Next step was to find elec
gauge wire, which is near oil filter, and touch it to ground. Immediately went to "0". Now believe
 orig gauge is good. Will get new sender unit and install next spring.     
Jerry