Author Topic: Dome light not coming as courtesy light  (Read 2664 times)

Offline Dusty6.0

Dome light not coming as courtesy light
« on: February 22, 2018, 10:39:22 AM »
I have a 74 c10 I recently did a ls swap in. So I went ahead and rewired the whole truck using an aftermarket wire harness. Everything is functioning as it should. The only thing is my dome light. I bought a new courtesy light kit from   with new door jambs. I wired up as directed and when the doors are open lights come on. Doors shut they go off. Now my thing I'm having a problem with is when I turn the headlamp switch counterclockwise to activate the interior lights nothing comes on. On my aftermarket harness I took the dome light lead and ran it to the lead on the switch which indicates ground for dome light. The switch isn't bad because headlights come on and I have power going to it in its right spots. Is there anyone solution to my problem?

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
Re: Dome light not coming as courtesy light
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2018, 06:44:19 PM »
So if you jumper the connection at the switch to ground what happens? I believe it is spliced directly to the door jamb switches but would have to look at the schematic to say for sure.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2018, 06:47:12 PM »
Here ya go
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2018, 06:56:31 PM »
Scroll down to HEADLAMP SWITCH AND WIRE CONNECTIONS in Diagnosing dash instrument lights.  The terminal circled in white is for the dome lamp wire.  The terminal circled in black should have a jumper wire to a clean cabin ground.  If the jumper is missing and the switch frame is not grounded through its dash mounting, the headlamp switch will not illuminate the dome lamp.
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline Dusty6.0

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2018, 06:24:10 PM »
Scroll down to HEADLAMP SWITCH AND WIRE CONNECTIONS in Diagnosing dash instrument lights.  The terminal circled in white is for the dome lamp wire.  The terminal circled in black should have a jumper wire to a clean cabin ground.  If the jumper is missing and the switch frame is not grounded through its dash mounting, the headlamp switch will not illuminate the dome lamp.
The switch itself was grounded to the dash. Will the knob itself play a part in it the switch for the lights not to come on? Maybe the jumper wire is missing.

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2018, 06:52:09 PM »
So if you jumper the connection at the switch to ground what happens?

Did you do as Vile recommended?
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline Dusty6.0

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2018, 10:04:04 AM »
So if you jumper the connection at the switch to ground what happens?
Not yet. The body shop wasn't open. Remember I'm running an aftermarket wire harness ez wire type so the schematics is totally different from oem
Did you do as Vile recommended?