Author Topic: Chevy Cheyenne Won't Start  (Read 2606 times)

Offline Arrowshot

Chevy Cheyenne Won't Start
« on: June 01, 2018, 11:39:49 AM »
Have a 1979 Chevy Cheyenne. Truck will not crank and interior/exterior lights are not working, so basically no electrical feed. Here is what I did.
1.   Removed old air conditioning system and wiring harness to install Vintage Air conditioning system.
2.   Removed gauge panel to install new gauges (have not installed new gauges yet).
3.   Removed radio to install new stereo system (installed and wires run but not hooked up).
4.   Installed new ignition switch.

Battery is fully charged, all connections to starter hooked up but it won’t crank. Not surprised and should have done each fix and checked to make sure but I was also replacing was replacing all control arms and front end suspension.

Just need to know a basic method of trouble shooting to resolve why I am not getting any power. I am dumb as a stump when it comes to electrical and wiring so please make it simple.

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
Re: Chevy Cheyenne Won't Start
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2018, 11:54:47 AM »
Won't start since you replaced the ignition switch? Or was that an attempt to fix it? Did you have the battery disconnected the whole time you were doing this work? Check your fusible links.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠¯¯¯¯¯'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline Rapid Roy

• Euless, Texas
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2018, 01:37:36 PM »
Welcome
1974 Cheyenne 10 LWB STOCK 350 W HEI /TH350/AC/4 BBL Quadrajet
Mopar by Birth
Chevy by Choice

Offline Arrowshot

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2018, 02:12:34 PM »
Won't start since you replaced the ignition switch? Or was that an attempt to fix it? Did you have the battery disconnected the whole time you were doing this work? Check your fusible links.

Replaced it. Battery disconnected whole time and already checked the fuses and they are all good.

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2018, 04:08:01 PM »
need a little clarification on your response to
Won't start since you replaced the ignition switch?
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline Arrowshot

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2018, 04:40:51 PM »
Pretty clear if you read my initial post.

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2018, 05:43:14 PM »
Think about your last response.  If it were "pretty clear," two people would not be asking you the same question.  If you want help because you are "dumb as a stump when it comes to electrical and wiring" (your words), don't be too salty with your answers!  There is plenty of good help available.  Moreso when you're courteous and provide useful feedback to those trying to help you.

So, based on your "initial post" I'll assume you caused the problem.  Do you know the difference between fuses and fusible links?  Did you...

Check your fusible links.

Use a test light and check for power at the junction block mounted to the firewall, above the back of the engine.  If there is no power there, check for power at the 3/8" battery cable stud on the starter solenoid.  Make sure the battery cables are clean and firmly secured to the battery posts.  Check the battery cable ground connection to the engine and check the ground strap connections between the back of the engine and cab firewall.
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline Arrowshot

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2018, 09:44:56 PM »
bd,
I stand properly admonished and admit my guilt. A little bit frustrated after pulling all the tie rods, motor mounts, control arms and putting all the stuff back together along with new drums (greased) and calipers/brakes without a lot of help aside from YouTube. Never have attempted any of this on my own before and trying to learn. Appreciate your suggestion and will run through the procedure tomorrow. Very much would appreciate any further assistance and do wish for any help anyone can offer. Had two people tell me to check my grounds (did already and did not disconnect anything other than what I mentioned above). Someone today told me that the vehicle might turn over but would not start if the oil pressure gauge was not hooked up because it has a fusible ( :-) ) link in it. Does the two issues above sound right?
Arrowshot

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2018, 11:22:02 PM »
The oil pressure won't effect anything only in 87 with the this did it come into controlling the fuel pump and that was only "plan b"

Never really seen a bad ground take out the lights and starter, a system without a ground would be more realistic or even the lack of a hot wire. But check for the 12v like be said and at those spots. It's narrowing down where the issue may be.

Also i think we all can understand being fed up with something. But in order to get the most accurate help we need to know certain things. I saw your second post where you stated "replaced it" and that's all it said. I wasn't sure if you were talking about you had the issue then you replaced it and it can't be an issue or you replaced it then you had the issue. Again we get some people in here that can't even spell (not that I can either but i use google chrome) but it's very hard to even make out one sentence. So there's a wide range of people who are asking for help and their mental capabilities.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2018, 11:34:26 PM by Irish_Alley »
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2018, 12:37:11 AM »
Someone today told me that the vehicle might turn over but would not start if the oil pressure gauge was not hooked up because it has a fusible ( :-) ) link in it.

???

Whoever expressed that has quite an imagination.... 
The best advice regarding cracker barrel advice is to eat the crackers and ignore the advice.   8)

Post the results of your tests and someone here will help you interpret their meaning if needed and what to do next.  You still haven't made it clear whether you are familiar with fusible links, how they appear, where they are located on your truck, and how to check them.  If there is any question, now is a good time to ask.
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)