Author Topic: Power door lock swap wiring  (Read 1452 times)

Offline jpatters13

• 74' Chevy Truck Project
Power door lock swap wiring
« on: August 07, 2018, 08:45:29 PM »
Rebuilding a 74 C10 Short wheel base stepside. Using an 84 cab. Nearly done. I stripped the power windows and locks out of an 86 C10. Installed everything and it all works with one exception. The driver door lock switch will lock the doors and the passenger switch will unlock them. But neither switch does both. Also, the pink wire is power supply for the windows, the orange/black wire provides power to the door locks, but there is also a black wire with a clip connection. Is the black wire a ground? Any help would be awesome. Thx.

James
84 Silverado K10
74 Custom Deluxe C10

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
Re: Power door lock swap wiring
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2018, 03:00:57 AM »
Connect it to the grounding bus on the left hand side of the cab under the dash. You can see it through the left dash vent if it is removed or if you look up from underneath the metal dash frame.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠¯¯¯¯¯'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline jpatters13

• 74' Chevy Truck Project
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2018, 06:12:36 AM »
Thanks! Because this was a retrofit I just grounded it to the body. I just wanted to make sure it was as in fact a ground wire. Any clues about the locks not working fully?
84 Silverado K10
74 Custom Deluxe C10

Offline 1982 Daily Driver

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2018, 11:16:24 AM »
I have used power door locks and windows of a 86 into an 82. When you took the locks out did you take everything wire harness, switches and do the swap it’s been several years since i did mine but I don’t remember  a problem until I got aftermarket switches and it took hours to figure it out good luck.
Also on the power windows I added relays to mine and they are 10 times faster now big improvement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk