Author Topic: Lost all power  (Read 1431 times)

Offline Restoredrustbucket

Lost all power
« on: August 27, 2018, 09:49:08 PM »
Hey guys, i have a 86 k10 scottsdale with a 350 and recently i got into a roll over accident, so after the roll over my truck still had power but the starter went out (plastic on the solenoid cracked) of course not thinking about it i just took the wires off and popped a new starter in there to see if i could get the starter to crank to push any oil out (i took the plugs out to prevent hydro locking) but after replacing that starter i lost all my electrical power, i checked all my grounds and they all looked good.. do the wires that go to the starter have an major coorelation with getting any power to the vehical (radio, accessories, lights, everything?) And if anyone could walk me through a fresh rewiring of the starter that would also be much appreciated, (another thought does the junction block have anything to do with issues like this?)

Offline Rapid Roy

• Euless, Texas
Re: Lost all power
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2018, 06:28:47 AM »
Check out these other posts about fusible links. There are probably others.

http://forum.73-87chevytrucks.com/smforum/index.php?topic=29529.msg247219;topicseen#msg247219
1974 Cheyenne 10 LWB STOCK 350 W HEI /TH350/AC/4 BBL Quadrajet
Mopar by Birth
Chevy by Choice

Offline 75gmck25

• Frequent Member
  • 1975 GMC K25 Camper Special, 350/TH350/NP203
Re: Lost all power
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2018, 07:28:27 AM »
The large positive battery cable runs from the battery down to the large terminal on the starter.  From there you should have at least two smaller red cables (10 gauge?) on the same post.  One runs up to the power junction on the firewall next to the brake booster, to power the fuse box and the other is the charge wire for the alternator.  They both have fusible links.   

I have fixed total power loss a few times by just tightening up that connection to the large post on the starter.

You will also have a starter solenoid wire connected to the starter (to engage the starter), and I believe the stock color is purple.

Bruce