Author Topic: Advice on Lowering 1979 C10  (Read 2311 times)

Offline Hubcap706

Advice on Lowering 1979 C10
« on: August 01, 2021, 09:53:48 PM »
Hey guys,

I am new to the site and am attempting my first post on this forum. I can say that this forum has provided much needed information in the planning phase of my build.

I have recently acquired my grandfathers 1979 C10 LWB, and intend to start building it very soon. I have put in the hours of doing homework and researching different components and kits for what I want to modify or replace. I'll start with the basics:

1. I do not intend to haul anything or do any amount of towing with this vehicle.
2. I do not have a "set budget" as I intend on this taking as much time as it needs to and that I am only dedicating a certain amount monthly to the truck.
3. This truck will not be a daily driver. Its purpose will be weekend rides and just having fun, so I do want a decent ride and a decent handling vehicle

I could use some honest opinions here on the technical side from those that have more experience with the squarebody, in particular, lowering them.

I started out looking at the Ridetech StreetGrip Suspension, but have realized that I can get more bang for my buck with a less expensive system. I do not want more than a

As of now this is my plan:

-Built By Brooks Longbed to Shortbed Conversion Kit (I like the K10 LWB, but want a shortbed for this C10. Please save the "just buy a shortbed instead" comment for another post, I've done the calculations on the frame)
-CPP Upper and Lower Tubular Control Arms - ball joints already installed to these.
-CPP 2" Drop Spindles
-Performance Online Drop Springs (most likely 2")
-Belltech Shocks Front and Rear
-CPP Front Sway Bar
- CPP Rear Flip Kit
- CPP C-Notch Kit
- Idler and Pitman Arms
-Upper and Lower Tie Rod Ends

I would greatly appreciate any advice on this alternative set up, or any issues that may arise going this route.

Thanks!

Offline zieg85

• Global Moderator
    • 73-87 GM squarebody extended cab and conversions up to 91 R/V series
Re: Advice on Lowering 1979 C10
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2021, 11:00:51 PM »
While I am not a fan of lowering you seem to have done some good research.  If you search VileZambonie build on his 74, there is a section in it where he cut his frame down to a shortbed.  It is a long thread but his work and knowledge is amazing
Carl 
1985 C20 Scottsdale 7.4L 4 speed 3.21
1986 C10 under construction
https://www.facebook.com/groups/248658382003506/

Offline Hubcap706

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2021, 05:34:05 AM »
I will definitely check out his thread for some more information. The short bed conversion seems to be a very polarizing modification, and I wanted to ensure that those that have done it haven't ran into something crazy.

Thanks for the reference!

Offline LILT77

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2021, 01:59:22 PM »
If you're not planning to ever haul stuff in the bed or tow, you could probably get away without notching the frame. I'm lower in the rear and only ever bottom out if there's a very serious pothole and I'm going fast. I can't speak on the quality or fitment of the CPP stuff as I use Belltech Western Chassis and McGaughy's, but it seems like you have a solid plan and setup.
77 C10/Big 10 Cheyenne "Old Blue"
81 C2500 Sierra Grande "Gramps"

Offline Hubcap706

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2021, 05:33:53 PM »
I have seen where a few guys on here have gotten away without the C notch, and I was contemplating leaving it out myself. I originally thought better safe than sorry though.

I’m open to really any brand on the springs, shocks, and rear flip kit and would love to know what’s worked well for those with similar set ups.  I have A friend that recently installed the CPP control arms and loves them, so I’ll give them a try.

LILT77, what setup are you running? And thanks for the advice!

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2021, 08:03:18 PM »
I generally stick with company systems and kits so everything comes with one spot.  IE a CPP front kit and a Belltech rear for example. 
Pretty sure CPP uses Western drop spindles, so... I would get a complete CPP kit. 
I have only ever used Western Chassis or Belltech kits personally for static drops.  You didn't say how much drop you wanted but if you go over a 4" drop in the rear I would recommend a notch.  I personally know someone with a 5/7 that doesnt have one and it does bottom out...  Teeth jaring when it does...

As far as long to shortbed conversion there is a whole thread here shortening a frame (VileZambonie)
http://forum.73-87chevytrucks.com/smforum/index.php?topic=7334.0

There is also this:  http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com/lwb_to_swb.htm  I recommend cutting it like VileZambonie though

and shortening the bed (junkman.)
http://forum.73-87chevytrucks.com/smforum/index.php?topic=26656.0

if you want more info from the forum just copy paste this into a google search, this comes up a lot: 
bed shortening site:forum.73-87chevytrucks.com
frame shortening site:forum.73-87chevytrucks.com

Offline Hubcap706

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2021, 10:08:49 PM »
That is exactly what I was attempting to do, and had read where a few people here on the forum suggested the same. From most of the post that I have searched, everyone is in agreement not to mix match components from different companies and it seems that Western Chasis and Belltech are two of the most popular kits.

I'm going for about a 3/5 to start off, with potential to go to a 4/6 or 5/7 down the road. I have somewhat tossed around various set ups and changed a little from the original post. Currently back on the fence about the Long to Short Conversion...

CPP Lower and Upper Control Arms
CPP 2" Drop Spindles
1" Drop Springs
Western Chasis 5" Flip Kit w/ C notch (going to see how much room I have before I install based on alot of post)
CPP front Sway Bar
Belltech Shocks
Replacement Pitman, Idler, Tie Rods, and   leaf spring pack
Energy Suspension Body Mount Bushing

Thanks again for the inputs and suggestions! This forum  has saved me a ton of headache so far.

Offline JohnnyPopper

• Old Goof
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2021, 03:31:39 PM »
"why don't you just buy a short bed?"

Someone had to say it, right?  ;D

Good plan, go forth and prosper!!!
1957 Apache 3100 235 Inline 6, 3 on the tree
1973 C-20, 3+3 454 4BBL TH400  Water Injection
1978 K-10, 350 4BBL TH350 NP203 M.M. Part time Kit/Hubs
1980 C-10 under construction