Author Topic: Door panel body line dent  (Read 3550 times)

Offline 1979cheyenne

Door panel body line dent
« on: January 26, 2015, 07:40:38 AM »
I purchased a 79 Cheyenne and ended up a never ending project as many of you probably know. The previous owners had dented the ridge out of place and slightly in the door and drilled 2 small holes and one big hole and didn't remove the dent. There was a 1/4" of bondo covering it all and it wasn't even sanded before they painted it so it made damage more visible with paint. I wish I had a picture before I removed the bondo. Am I in better shape looking for another door on Craigslist or does this look repairable by a newbie when it comes to body work? Also I don't have access to a welder to fill the holes.

Offline LTZ C20

• "I'm here for a good time" -George Strait
Re: Door panel body line dent
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2015, 09:17:42 AM »
Welcome to the site. Ewwww, that is an icky door repair. Your truck is black it looks like. Is it a finish coat or primer or flat black? How's the body and paint on the rest of the truck?
LTZ Cheyenne C20

Offline fitz

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2015, 10:36:42 AM »
Is it a GM door at aftermarket?
What are your long term plans as far as a paint job?
If its an aftermarket door and your going with a cheap paint job, buy another aftermarket door.
If its a rust free GM door, get a price from a body shop.

Offline 1979cheyenne

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2015, 09:17:03 PM »
ltz c20,  thank you. its a very dark blue almost black, no clear. It has one small dent I'll work on next in the left bedside but it's minor. It has 3 layers of paint and they didn't sand the previous coats so you can see flame outlines if you look at a certain angle in the light. Fits, My plans are take care of the dents until I have the money to get started on the rest of the work. I am having a friend that goes to school for automotive painting help me hopefully when it's time. So I hopefully will have real automotive paint and compressors and equipment I need. the door is original. I am in the process of overhauling the 350 in it right now and it's stuck in my garage sadly for now. I'll see if I can upload a full picture of the truck if you guys want to see it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline 1979cheyenne

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2015, 09:19:05 PM »

Offline LTZ C20

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2015, 12:21:36 AM »
Nice truck. Since the door is original I would say that your best bet is maybe to take it to a body shop and have them properly fix that door. Then maybe just shoot some cheap paint/primer mix over it to prevent any rust until you start prepping the whole truck for better paint which it sounds like you are planning to do. Is that right?
LTZ Cheyenne C20

Offline 1979cheyenne

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2015, 12:29:47 AM »
Thank you, I plan using quality paint when it's time. I am unable to drive it to any shops because the motors apart and it needs tires belts are showing in the rear.  Oh yeah and I forget about it missing a windshield since I stupidly broke it. But I was thinking at finding a piece of steel to match crease and try to pound it out straight from inside with a piece of wood being held against it on the other side but if it comes down to it I'd take the door off and try to get a ride haha.

Offline 1979cheyenne

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2015, 12:55:25 AM »
here's a photo of inside

Offline LTZ C20

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2015, 01:16:07 AM »
Oh boy that's gross. Yea it would probably be best to have a buddy help you take the door off, take it to a local reputable body shop and have them do it up right. Someone really butchered it before.
LTZ Cheyenne C20

Offline 1979cheyenne

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2015, 01:19:15 AM »
I wasn't sure if that was a bullet hole or some dummy drilled a giant hole haha. Yeah it would be best to have it done right.

Offline LTZ C20

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2015, 01:23:55 AM »
Hard to say for sure but from the front it carries the possibility of being a high flying piece of pointy lead.
LTZ Cheyenne C20

Offline 1979cheyenne

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2015, 01:25:33 AM »
Wouldn't be the first truck I've owned with bullet holes hah.