Author Topic: Hub lockout replacement  (Read 3684 times)

Offline drat_bklyn

Hub lockout replacement
« on: October 20, 2014, 11:34:12 PM »
Looking for some advice on hub lockout replacement. 

First off, mine is an '86 K30 with warn standard locking hub on driver side, blank locking hub on passenger side (not sure if I lost a faceplate, but that's what it was like when I got it). 

I've been getting a nasty clunk, clunk, clunk making any type of left hand turn in 4wd -- sounds like it's in the driver side front wheel.  I pulled off the hub lockout (and since this is the driver side, it's the warn side), and sure enough one of the 3 'spokes' (technical term missing) is broken.  Rest of the hub looks ok to a very untrained eye.  Put it this way: nothing broken, nothing reamed out, no bits of metal.

I went online to look for a replacement, and all's I can find is a 2 pack hub replacement for more money than I'd like to spend.  Seems to me a single lockout is all I need.  Q: should I replace the hub anyway?  If not, any place to buy just the lockout? 

Thanks!
1986 K30 - flat black paint (put on with a roller)

Offline drat_bklyn

Re: Hub lockout replacement
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2014, 12:05:12 AM »
Pics:

1st is the hub lockout -- the broken spline (?) Is on the top. Sorry, not a great photo.

2nd is the hub still on the wheel. On advice from a mchanic friend I drove it a bit without the lockout and the clunking was not to be heard.
1986 K30 - flat black paint (put on with a roller)

Offline roundhouse

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2014, 06:27:46 AM »
Download a good manual or instructions for rebuilding and servicing hubs

Clean and de grease em
 lightly Put some grease on em and re install carefully.  Makin sure you get the spring in right

They are probably fine.   Just to much thick grease on em  or the springs are weak or not installed properly

However of you're missing one entire hub.   Just pay the $100 and get a new set

Offline pholliday1

• 1990 V3500 Crew Cab
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2014, 02:28:56 PM »
The first picture the hub looks deformed. Depending on the clunk noise these trucks will break a front axle shaft and when they do its the small section between the u joint and the locking hub. If your running a cuccv it has 4:56 gears and contrary to belief those dana 60 axles ( while stouter than most) will break. But by the looks of things its just a worn hub assembly.
VETERAN AND LIFETIME NRA MEMBER. WHAT DO YOU STAND FOR?
1991 V3500 CREWCAB SRW 454TBI GMC
1991 v3500 crewcab SRW 454tbi 480le 6" lift
1990 V3500 crewcab Dana 60 FF 14b 5:38 ratio 40 inch 11" lift
1989 v3500 crewcab 454TBI 5" lift