Author Topic: Hello all.  (Read 35380 times)

Offline jeremy.farlow

• Frequent Member
Hello all.
« on: February 11, 2020, 11:10:18 PM »

Howdy, I’m Jeremy and I’m looking forward to being a productive member here. This is the first pic I took of my Suburban on its drive home. I wanted something that could accept a piece of plywood, but also something I could stretch out in the back of. I’m 6’4”, so that’s out of the question in most vehicles. I started looking at suburbans and I’ve always liked the square body look. I did a bit of research and really zoned in on the 90-91 2500. Honestly, I wanted barn doors, as I think that’s the iconic suburban look. Didn’t matter, after missing a couple other trucks, I found this one.
eBay find. I got it with fees for exactly $3k. In California, which I thought was better than its turned out to be. Fortunately the seller promised it ran well enough to load on a multi car hauler.
Well... it’s not a rust-free as one would hope from a Cali car. Not as rust-free as I’d believed it would be. The underside is fine, but above both front doors it’s rusted through the roof and there’s rust around the rear quarter windows and a couple other places. So, good news: it ain’t Midwest rust, but where there is rust it’s most of the way eaten through.
I also didn’t think about that there were still 49-state cars and California cars. Ultimately this isn’t as big an issue as it could have been. I’m in Georgia and the truck is out of emissions compliance. And it’s real unlikely that I’m gonna get a visual inspection... EVER. So $800 in shipping and the truck comes home.
I did typical tuneup stuff. Oil, plugs, cap, rotor, etc. Drove through a couple tanks:

Ouch. I went through the front end, brakes shocks. Right now I’m just focusing on drive ability, but I’ve got plans and for the first time in my life, I’ve got a budget...
About me. Again, I’m Jeremy. I’ve been fortunate in a lot of ways. I’ve got my own fab shop. It can’t hold a candle to a nascar shop, but it’s mine and plenty have done more with less. My day job is doing special effects for the movie biz. Turns out I’m pretty good at it and Georgia is “Yallywood” these days. I put roll cages and cannons in cars, blow stuff up and generally do all the stuff my momma told me not to. And they pay me pretty well. Unfortunately I also lost my grandmother after 103 years last fall. She lived a good long life, I’ll miss her forever and she left me a few bucks.
I’m taking the next couple of weeks off work. The suburban is my project. I’ve got a Dakota Digital dash on the way, I’ll take a look here and decide if documenting mine is worth sharing. I’m gonna go ahead and remove and repair the dash as well as STEREO!!!! while I’m doing it.
Because I’m a crazy person, but have a vision. I’m actually converting the truck to full manual, windows and doors, for everything but the tailgate, like I said, I wanted barn doors, but got what I got.
After a bit of convincing I’ve convinced myself that the tail gate is better. I’ve got manual window regulators at the shop. While I’m doing speakers I’m also planning on fabricating aluminum door cards, swapping regulators and removing wiring, actuators and motors from the doors.
If I can get the interior cleaned up, the dash and stereo and windows are probably what I can do in phase one.
Ultimately the goal is a long-travel/prerunner set up. Yeah. I know I’m in Georgia, but prerunners are too cool and Atlanta is fond of their speed bumps and other “traffic calming measures”... I want to put a full roll cage in, back half the frame with a four-link and longer A-arms in front. We’ll see how far I get there.
Drivetrain-wise... initially the plan was LS1. Maybe turbos. After settling on the 2500 C/K chassis I decided to think about keeping the big block. Still mostly thinking that’s what I’ll do. The truck has the 4L80 now, but I really like shifting. I’m on the hunt for a 5-speed. I’ve also got a deposit on a .050 over rat motor at a local machine shop.
I want to go to multiport injection. I’m fully aware a Chevrolet big block will never be ECONOMICAL, so I want to build the most EFFICIENT motor I can. I’m still debating over stroking or not the motor. Likely going package Edlebrock at this time with their multiport injection setup. I know it’s gonna use gasoline, but I want to make certain I’m using that gas the best I can. I want to stick to natural aspiration, but I’m open to future turbos.

The best laid plans of mice and men.

Anyhow the point is to be active on this forum to learn from others and teach what I learn.

I replaced the rear windows

I put some seats in because my girl wouldn’t even ride on the originals. Unfortunately, it seems this was originally a bench seat car, so only the outside mounts were threaded for seat mount bolts. I hate asking for help, but I had to enlist a friend to get the seats mounted. I used the factory sliders, so I’ve got front to rear adjustment, no tilt.

Jeremy
« Last Edit: July 17, 2020, 11:45:03 PM by jeremy.farlow »

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
Re: Hello all.
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2020, 12:01:47 AM »
welcome from maryland. i have a 91 v3500 crew cab, the 350 tbi was getting 12 mpgs and i swapped it for a 1st gen cummins and she gets 16. with bigger displacement you'll need more fuel to feed it, the cummins has power really low and i believe thats where i save fuel because the engine doesnt have to push as hard to get her up to speed. just something else to think about
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline jeremy.farlow

• Frequent Member
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2020, 06:40:42 AM »
I appreciate the advice, but I am not a diesel guy. One of the things I’ve appreciated the most about my suburban ownership is that there’s nothing I can’t do on it. Legally and mechanically speaking. That being said, I don’t know diesels well enough to take on such a project. Lastly, the goal of this project, no matter how it ultimately turns out, is for me to build the baddest truck I can. I fully expect it to be my last gas-powered vehicle. I’m actively seeking socially irresponsible and nothing says THAT like a big block gas motor.

Jeremy

Online Shifty

• I bleed Bowtie red...
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2020, 08:31:40 AM »
Rotten mileage is something Man-Squares just have to live with.  Personally, I'd rather the cruddy mileage, and have the simplicity and safety that a Square has to offer. 

Love the 'Burb BTW, and welcome from Tucson, AZ!  8)
87 V20 Standard Cab Longbed (current)

87 R30 3+3 Longbed (days of yore)

98 C2500 ext cab longbed

Offline JohnnyPopper

• Old Goof
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2020, 01:20:29 PM »
I'm with the Shifty one, I'll trade bad mileage for simplicity, safety, and STYLE!

Welcome from So Cal!

Now please give that girl a BATH...
1957 Apache 3100 235 Inline 6, 3 on the tree
1973 C-20, 3+3 454 4BBL TH400  Water Injection
1978 K-10, 350 4BBL TH350 NP203 M.M. Part time Kit/Hubs
1980 C-10 under construction

Offline jeremy.farlow

• Frequent Member
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2020, 04:38:42 PM »
That’s as clean as the current paint is gonna get. Dead ain’t the word. Cremated and ashes spread is a better description. It’s on the list. I like white trucks, so it’ll stay white. I’m planning on as much fiberglass as I can.

Today’s big update!!!

I SCORED a Tremec. It’ll be delivered for >$1000, still a lot of work to make it work, but I’m on the way! Honestly, I was looking for a 5-speed. I figure the torque spread of the big block shouldn’t need the 6th gear. But, when it comes across your plate you take it.

Jeremy

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2020, 04:58:11 PM »
think most people see diesels and think about how complicated they're. but mine being a first gen only needs 3 wires (one fore starter one fore ground and one for the fuel shut off) its pretty simple swap and and theres no spark to worry about. if the injection pump ever screws up you can rebuild it yourself or pay 600 for one done. but i do understand some people not liking diesels and the smell gets them sick so yeah its not for everyone and the power band falls off around 2200 rpms. she can haul a trailer nice and thats what i was after.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2020, 04:59:57 PM by Irish_Alley »
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline jeremy.farlow

• Frequent Member
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2020, 09:20:50 PM »
I get the appeal of diesels. Trust me. My girl has a horse and desires more. She found a 97 F350 with the 7.3L and I had no issues lending her the money to buy it. It doesn’t change the fact that I don’t fundamentally understand diesels, nor do I have the tools to work on them. That fundamental misunderstanding when it came to fixing the first problem on the super duty. Glow Plug Relay. GPR in the parlance. My understanding of glow plugs WAS that they functioned like a choke for a diesel. I never imagined they functioned continuously.
In any case, I feel like I’m biting off MORE than enough with the scope of this project as I see it. Manual transmission swap, cage, long travel, etc. I don’t see the gains in swapping out the entire fuel system as well. Especially when part of the purpose is to build an irresponsible GAS motor. As it stands, no matter how much torque the Ford 7.3L makes and how junky the 200k mile 454, peanut port, low compression clapped out ANCHOR is, the suburban walks on the Ford. Badly. All the Ford does is make noise for the first few hundred RPM. Meanwhile the Chevy is moving as soon as my foot comes off the pedal.
I appreciate the input, but it’s gonna be a 9mpg gas motor, not an 8mpg diesel in my suburban.

Offline JAH

• Registered Users
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2020, 11:06:45 PM »
Nice Sub, Jeremy.  I've always had a soft spot in my heart for the eight-luggers.

If I may throw-in my $0.02...

Maybe think about stepping-away from a big block flat tappet motor and towards a big block roller motor.  Although not stellar, I think there are some MPG gains to be had.

I believe the GM crate 454 HO is a roller, as well as the HT502 and 502 HO.  I also believe they'll run on 87 octane...which is a huge plus when your MPG is in the single digits.
I spent most of my money on Jack Daniel's, Copenhagen, pocket knives, and 4X4 trucks.  The rest I just wasted.

Offline jeremy.farlow

• Frequent Member
Hello all.
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2020, 12:07:32 AM »
I’m definitely planning on a roller cam. Absolutely. I’ve got another block, decked, align-bored and cylinders bored 0.060” over.  That’s a 4.310” bore. Still working out some top end stuff so I can get the right dish pistons. I’m shooting for mid-10 compression. I may have to run premium in the summer or hauling, but I think that should be safe compression range with EFI. The plan is to have the machine shop do the short block and I’ll build the top end. I’ve built a handful of motorcycle engines, one was a championship “Battle of the Twins” winner. I feel confident in my skills, assisted by youtube and forums like this. Ideally I’ll break the motor in in a dyno cell, tune it, get the tremec as figured out as I can out of the truck and hopefully install it all over a three-day weekend.
That’s likely several months away. In the meantime I’m gonna do the dash and put in a stereo over the next week.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2020, 10:50:52 PM by jeremy.farlow »

Offline JohnnyPopper

• Old Goof
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2020, 01:09:55 PM »
Sounds like you have a good game plan.

Nothing like a BB to twist your wicket!

My fav was a 425 in a '66 Toronado, major blast and FWD to boot.

I meant the interior BTW...

SC Johnson 'scrubbing bubbles' works wonders!
1957 Apache 3100 235 Inline 6, 3 on the tree
1973 C-20, 3+3 454 4BBL TH400  Water Injection
1978 K-10, 350 4BBL TH350 NP203 M.M. Part time Kit/Hubs
1980 C-10 under construction

Offline jeremy.farlow

• Frequent Member
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2020, 05:03:10 PM »
Yeah... the interior is definitely gnarly. Most of it just hasn’t been ripped out yet. My girlfriend, who wouldn’t even sit in the original front seat calls it “rat-chewed, mildewed and utterly disgusting”... Again, most of it won’t stay. I’m a big fan of things that get clean with a hose or pressure washer. It works well with my aesthetic. Kinda thinking of making all the upholstery go away and rhino lining or similar the whole interior.

Here was today’s work:

The vice grips are temporary, but I got both rear doors swapped over to manual crank. I pulled out the power lock actuators as well.

Them GM engineers weren’t slackers. I was surprised to learn that the door stampings were the same for manual or automatic windows. Even more surprised that the crank lines up perfectly with the hole where the window switch once lived.

Jeremy

Offline jeremy.farlow

• Frequent Member
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2020, 03:46:15 PM »
I got a few hours at the shop today. I continued yesterday’s “rip and tear”...

Decided that 1990’s “finest auto protection” is gonna have to go.

I really don’t want to be THAT guy...

Next week is gonna be gauges and stereo. I’m gonna try my hand at dash-pad repair as well. I got a jump start on some stereo related parts.

I’m thinking I’m also gonna replace the velour inserts with aluminum. Hoping I’ll be able to just clean up the factory panels to my liking.

If anyone has suggestions for a coating or way to clean up the dash or door panels I am all ears. I’d love something like plastidip, I haven’t found it to be durable enough though.

Happy Valentine’s Day

Jeremy

Offline jeremy.farlow

• Frequent Member
Hello all.
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2020, 04:11:58 PM »
Since I’m also using this as my introduction I’m gonna share some non-suburban stuff. Like I said earlier. I do special effects stuff for the movie business. Here’s a couple cars we built last year:
08 (I think) BMW 750, full cage and powder cannon.

17(?) Dodge Charger full cage, originally was a cannon car, changed to “sidewinder” four days before it was to shoot:

Retrieving the cannon from the beemer:

Lastly, this is my shop, home away from home, keeper of my most prized possessions and sometimes bane of my existence:

Jeremy
« Last Edit: April 30, 2020, 11:26:24 PM by jeremy.farlow »

Offline JAH

• Registered Users
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2020, 06:51:23 PM »
Two great posts, Jeremy.  That last post is just OFF-THE-CHARTS cool!

I'm crazy-jealous of your shop.
I spent most of my money on Jack Daniel's, Copenhagen, pocket knives, and 4X4 trucks.  The rest I just wasted.