Author Topic: 73 Shortbed Stepside Complete Rebuild (LOTS OF PHOTOS)  (Read 57543 times)

Offline mattevandavis

Re: 73 Shortbed Stepside Complete Rebuild (LOTS OF PHOTOS)
« Reply #60 on: June 02, 2019, 10:54:11 PM »
More fun this weekend.
We mocked up the accessories and cleand up more parts.  The stamped valve covers got swapped for aluminum ones.
The bracets need a good blasting and a coat of paint.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Offline mattevandavis

« Reply #61 on: July 06, 2019, 08:59:45 PM »
We got the engine in today.  We hit a few snags.  The new engine mounts we had ended up not working.  They were gm brand mounts that were listed to fit the c10, and they bolted up where they should.  The hole for the through bolt did not line up as expedted.  After fighting with it for some time we dug out the original mounts which were much different.  The holes still ligned up but the through bolt holes were in different spots. 

The rubber on the old mounts was old and the mounts were in desperate need of cleaning up.  We decided to use Energy Suspension inserts so we drilled out the rivits and blasted the mounts.  We hit them with a quick coat of paint and they were ready to install. 

This time the install went very smoothly.  A bit of time to get the engine in position and it dropped right in and the bolts practically installed themselves.

I still need to put a fresh coat of paint on the transmission, but then we can install the rest of the drive train.

« Last Edit: July 06, 2019, 09:01:36 PM by mattevandavis »

Offline JohnnyPopper

• Old Goof
« Reply #62 on: July 07, 2019, 04:56:12 PM »
Beautiful Truck man!

Do you know the color code? Looks like a dark Camel w/metal flake.

They did make a medium too.

Thanks!
1957 Apache 3100 235 Inline 6, 3 on the tree
1973 C-20, 3+3 454 4BBL TH400  Water Injection
1978 K-10, 350 4BBL TH350 NP203 M.M. Part time Kit/Hubs
1980 C-10 under construction

Offline mattevandavis

« Reply #63 on: July 07, 2019, 06:49:45 PM »
Beautiful Truck man!

Do you know the color code? Looks like a dark Camel w/metal flake.

They did make a medium too.

Thanks!
Thanks.  Cant wait until it's done, but i will miss the project when it is.  I think there will be another vehicle to restore in my future.

It is corvette atomic orange.  Specifically from around 2007.  It has a tinted clear.

Offline mattevandavis

« Reply #64 on: July 15, 2019, 11:01:20 AM »
Inching closer and closer.
Got the flywheel, headers, and radiator installed.  It was raining so i couldnt finish up the paint on the transmission.    We did spend  part of the day looking for a power steering pump bracket with no luck. 

I have ordered the bracket linked below.  Hopefully it will work.
http://www.wagon-works.com/itmidx3.htm

Offline mattevandavis

« Reply #65 on: August 17, 2019, 09:53:29 PM »
More progress today.
We connected the oil pressure gauge, the coolant lines, installed the fan and shroud, finished the power steering pump install, installed the belts, and got the transmission in. 

Most of it went well, but we hit a snag installing the transmission cross member.  It fits inside the frame and does not rotate in easily.  Finally we found that if one corner went in the hole in the frame it would rotate in place.

Offline mattevandavis

« Reply #66 on: September 19, 2019, 01:04:40 PM »
I did not snag any photos, but we did a bunch of smaller projects this past week.  The drive line was blasted, painted, and new u-joints installed.  We installed a new center support bearing and got everything mounted.  We found and installed a starter support bracket - I realize many people throw them out, but I'd rather have it and not need it than the inverse.  Power steering lines were fitted and installed.  Finally we got the clutch linkage installed and adjusted.

We decided to add a circuit for the new HEI.  Again some source of debate depending on who you ask, but I'd rather give it a properly sized wire from the battery to feed it instead of hope that the factory circuit can handle the load on a circuit that was designed for a points system.  Mark at madelectrical.com is sending all of the stuff I need to make sure the new systems have the power source they need.

Offline JohnnyPopper

• Old Goof
« Reply #67 on: September 19, 2019, 07:07:13 PM »
Keeps getting nicer and...

Q: Why go with a super noisy flex fan when an electric is sooo much better?

Offline mattevandavis

« Reply #68 on: September 20, 2019, 09:17:01 PM »
Keeps getting nicer and...

Q: Why go with a super noisy flex fan when an electric is sooo much better?
While a lot of the truck is not original, im trying to keep the original feel.  If i dont like the fan i can change it later.  That said we did consider electric.

Offline JohnnyPopper

• Old Goof
« Reply #69 on: September 21, 2019, 06:09:51 AM »
I get it, don't blame you at all.

When I bought my K-10 it had a flex fan. I didn't like the howling noise, so I went back to a stock fan/clutch and it was really quiet.

When that failed, I went electric, it's really quiet, AND I  picked up mad power, feels like 20 hp or more. It takes a lot to move all that air I guess.

Only thing is the fan I bought from Summit developed a vibration that I can feel, so I have an advanced replacement that still needs to be swapped out.

I think that if you want to stay with mechanical, a combo of flex fan/clutch would be the bomb, but I doubt it exists.

Offline mattevandavis

« Reply #70 on: September 23, 2019, 09:57:59 PM »
I get it, don't blame you at all.

When I bought my K-10 it had a flex fan. I didn't like the howling noise, so I went back to a stock fan/clutch and it was really quiet.

When that failed, I went electric, it's really quiet, AND I  picked up mad power, feels like 20 hp or more. It takes a lot to move all that air I guess.

Only thing is the fan I bought from Summit developed a vibration that I can feel, so I have an advanced replacement that still needs to be swapped out.

I think that if you want to stay with mechanical, a combo of flex fan/clutch would be the bomb, but I doubt it exists.
Somewhere along the way the stock fan went awol.  I know i can purchas a new or ised one, but thought id try the flex fan.  I was not aware og the noise the flex makes. I may end up electric if that is the case.

Spal makes awesome fans.  Its worth the cost if you are going to change.

Offline mattevandavis

« Reply #71 on: September 23, 2019, 10:04:22 PM »
So some driveshaft pics from last week to start.

We had to figure out how to install the red top Optima. The factory battery mount did not fit.  We looked at several options and found that the holes in the battery for the adapters would take a 1/4" bolt.  It holds great.
We also added some ground straps and did some electrical planning.  Next go we should be able to install some new circuits.

Offline ehjorten

« Reply #72 on: September 24, 2019, 08:42:14 AM »
I have an Optima battery and the stock hold-down worked just fine!  It didn't for you?
-Erik-
1991 V3500 - Gen V TBI 454, 4L80E, NP205, 14 bolt FF, D60, 8" Lift on 35s
1977 K20 Silverado - 350, THM350, NP203, 14 bolt FF, D44, Stock Lift on 31s
1969 Chevelle Malibu Sport Coupe - EFI350, THM350
1968 Chevrolet Step-side Pickup - 300HP L6

Offline mattevandavis

« Reply #73 on: September 24, 2019, 08:50:35 AM »
I have an Optima battery and the stock hold-down worked just fine!  It didn't for you?
No.  It hit the side of the battery.  What year?  The battery hold down is different on the earlier ones.

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #74 on: September 24, 2019, 09:31:15 AM »
Optima batteries are shipped with specially configured hold-downs (pucks) that conform to the circular cell shape.  From the Optima website...

"All new REDTOP batteries (except the 6-volt battery) and all new YELLOWTOP batteries (except the H6, Group 51, DS46B24R, 27 & 31) come with a variety of trays, pucks and other fitment adapters. If your battery did not come with this set of adapters, please contact our customer service team at info@optimabatteries.com and be sure to have your original retailer's contact information handy."

Are you saying the puck supplied by Optima didn't fit correctly?
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)