Author Topic: high quote on fixing my a/c?  (Read 3445 times)

Offline mikeith

• Registered Users
high quote on fixing my a/c?
« on: August 24, 2007, 01:40:22 PM »
850 to hook up my a/c and convert to newer system if they supply the compressor, orface tube, and acumulator, and 550 if i supply isn't that kinda high

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
Re: high quote on fixing my a/c?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2007, 02:10:52 PM »
Did your truck come through with AC? If not buy a junker that did for $50 bucks and put it in yourself.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2007, 04:17:07 PM »
Are they adding a complete A/C system or fixing your current one?  If they are just fixing it and converting to 134a, you can do it yourself for cheaper.  I converted my Burb.

Offline Lt.Del

• Andy aka:SgtDel
  • DelbridgePhotography.com
    • www.delbridge.net
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2007, 10:26:57 PM »
orfice tube = $3
Accumulator= $30
Compressor = $100 (w/ trade in)

having cold A/C=  PRICELESS

Dude, the conversion is only two pieces that you can get on ebay for $20 and just screw on the existing fittings, one high side, one low side (blue and red).

If you know someone with a vacuum and with manifold guages, be his best friend for a week or so.   There are instructions all over the internet.  You should just get them to evacuate the old freon from your system versus helping to deplete the ozone.

Legal notice, not affiliated whatsoever with master card  ;D
« Last Edit: August 24, 2007, 10:28:54 PM by SgtDel »

Offline cjtimp

• Registered Users
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2007, 10:09:04 AM »
Be careful, you get what you pay for. Sounds to me the shop is pricing NEW compressor ect... A GOOD shop (no shade tree or flybynite) will employee qualified technicians and OFFER a warranty. You CANNOT get that from EBAY.....Without knowing all the particulars, OUR shop would replace compressor (w/new AC DELCO unit) drier/accumulator, orifice tube, FLUSH remaining components with API approved solvent, vacum system COMPLETELY, recharge to capacity and check for leaks.......this would cost between $800-$1100, and would be warrantied for 12 mos 12K.......With all components in place....you can convert the system and and leak test for ABOUT $200 - $300. R-12 conversions SHOULD replace drier/accumulator, AND orifice tube, along with proper fittings for recovery systems hook-up..... ::)
82 C-10 SWB - work in progress!