Author Topic: Emissions testing  (Read 3676 times)

Offline Guards Red Stepside

Emissions testing
« on: March 22, 2006, 04:12:00 PM »
Hi,
I found out in my area, from 1975 up to 1988, they will only check for cats and test for the hydrocarbon and carbon monoxide levels.

In a performance engine what will most negativley effect these emissions? Fuel Induction/cam? Compression ratio?

Is it possible to tune down the emissions just to pass the test? i.e. lean out the fuel mixture ec?

I have been trying to find a site with detailed information on the complete emissions equipment on the 80s chevy tucks with no luck.

Thanks!

Offline 123 pugsy

Re: Emissions testing
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2006, 08:21:00 PM »
Do you have cats on your truck? I got caught without them and then put them on and went for testing.The guys at the test center thought I was nuts to pay the 30 bucks,but I got off my $380.00 fine when I showed the JP the test results. I had an evap. cannister,PCV valve,no EGR,and of coarse I had cats.Spark plugs,cap and rotor were fairly new at the time.I had a mild street cam in my 350.It passed with flying colors.

Pugsy
76 C10 LWB
TPI 350

emissions testing nightmare
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2006, 09:49:00 PM »
Hi Pugsy,
I have a '74 now that requires no testing, however I am thinking to maybe get a newer (up to '87) and want to understand the emissions implications that could come with a truck that requires testing.

Offline 123 pugsy

Re: emissions testing nightmare
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2006, 05:34:00 AM »
If you keep all the pollution stuff on that should be there,you should have no problems.Up here for emissions testing it just has to pass to get your license plate renwal sticker,however we have the Provincial enforcement guys that pull you over and check that everything factory installed is still on the truck.If you have no issues with factory installed stuff,I believe you could still pass with just cats , PCV,and evap cannister as I did.

Pugsy
76 C10 LWB
TPI 350

Offline DainBramaged

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2006, 02:33:00 PM »
I have no emissions on my truck except CATS on the exhaust...  I turned the idle down on the card, purchased some crap from walmart that you put in your gastanks (states gaurenteed to pass emissions), and I went through with flying colors   :D  

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2006, 09:21:00 PM »
I like that.... "some crap from walmart"
Thanks for letting me know you guys passed with just cats.
I have begun the long task of looking for a new truck.

Offline DainBramaged

Too Technical
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2006, 11:52:00 AM »
Yes, please stop me if I get too technical!  8o