73-87 Chevy _ GMC Trucks > Fuel Systems and Drivability

HELP problem with gaspedal / carb

(1/5) > >>

sammysamm:
Hey guys hope you're doing well. I was trying to start my car the other day pushing on the gas pedal and I heard a little pop sound and now I can't get any gas to go to the engine ..also I look under the hood I see a spring near where the accelerator  cable is on the carburetor .the spring is broken I will post a picture below. what is the spring? is this easy to find or fix any help would be appreciated

sammysamm:
1981 454 Chevy c20. Stock.https://photos.app.goo.gl/3DDzqbnns9Gj7eAo6

75gmck25:
It looks like the accelerator cable is still connected.  The one with the beaded chain on the end should be for cruise control, and the other one next to it is the accelerator cable.

However, I don't see any return spring.  On the throttle bracket that is mounted toward the back of the engine, the bottom part of it should have a hole in it.  This is where one end of the spring goes.  Toward the bottom of the carburetor bracket there will also be a hole, and it should have a metal insert in the hole - looks like a flattened rivet with a hole in the middle.  The other end of the spring goes there.

The standard spring is actually two springs mounted inside the other. The outer one is about 1.25" in diameter and the inner one is about .75" .   You can buy a new return spring set from most Advance Auto Parts and Autozone stores in the performance area.  They will be similar to this one.  https://www.autozone.com/fuel-systems/chrome-return-spring-bracket/spectre-performance-dual-throttle-return-springs/228324_0_0

Bruce

Irish_Alley:
the cable could be broken inside of the sleeve. try to move the pedal while having a friend (or yourself) watch the throttle on the carb and see if it moves. but that wont stop you from getting fuel to the carb as the carb should still be able to idle unless you have other carb problems

sammysamm:
Ok thanks Bruce that's exactly the part that I need and I think Bruce is correct with what's going on. I also have had a friend take a look and pushed the gas pedal and he said the accelerator still was activated on the carburetor .that it was pressed down with  using the pedal. I still notice my gas pedal feels LImp.. after pressing it nolonger pushes back strongly like it did a week prior. . I am getting spark and but not getting gas what else could be the problem if I'm not getting gas should I see if the fuel pump is working? Truck was running perfect 2 weeks prior. I have a brand new started, alternater,air filter and all 3 belts. Also put in a new battery. Last month. Truck cranks but she doesn't run. Yet.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version