Author Topic: 84 C10 Brakes  (Read 28397 times)

Offline SUX2BU99

• My Cardomain Site. Truck is on Page 6.
Re: 84 C10 Brakes
« Reply #105 on: August 05, 2018, 12:55:08 AM »
This is a good discussion. Sorry to interrupt your thread but what visual difference does the JB3 vs JB5 master cylinder have? I have a hard pedal after taking my C10 out of winter storage and I know the front brakes are dragging but I don't feel it pull to one side so I don't think I have a collapsed brake hose. Just not sure how to identify the MC. My truck is somewhat of a mutt. It has the cast iron reservoir though with the single hold-down hoop. I have the bigger drums with wider 2.75" shoes but can't say they were stock or not. Thanks!
85 Chevy Silverado C10 short, wide, yellow, 2wd. Lowered, 60-over 350 with Dart Iron Eagle heads and Comp Cams XE268 cam, TH350 w/ shift kit, 3.40 Gov-lok 12 bolt.

Offline Henry

• Frequent Member
« Reply #106 on: August 05, 2018, 12:40:13 PM »
Hi 99:
Sounds as if you have a 1984 JB5 system....the master cylinder may be the same one as the JB3...I do know that the 1984 JB5 had the dual diaphragm vac unit. The 1984 service manual may have pics of what the various master cylinders looked like. You also should page back on this thread or a related thread by Ronno and see that the moderators linked some images of various master cylinders...you should also go to the tech section of this forum to get more pics of master cylinders.
Henry

Offline Ronno6

• Frequent Member
  • Elder Student
« Reply #107 on: August 12, 2018, 09:06:23 PM »
From what I have seen the cast iron reservoir master cylinder was used only in the JD3 and JD5 brake systems,
which were used in diesel powered trucks.
These were hydra boost systems, and I don't know how well this MC will work with Vacuum booster......
You can lead a man to water, but yoiu can't keep him from pissing in it.

Offline Ronno6

• Frequent Member
  • Elder Student
« Reply #108 on: September 26, 2018, 08:57:51 AM »
After all was said and done, the JB5 rear brake system is installed along woth 3.73 gears and a Yukon posi unit.

IT WORKS !!  NO MORE REAR WHEEL SKIDDING !!!!!

What a relief.............now.....on to the carb. That 1406 GOTTA GO........
« Last Edit: September 28, 2018, 05:24:35 PM by Ronno6 »

Offline Henry

• Frequent Member
« Reply #109 on: September 26, 2018, 12:26:33 PM »
Hi Ronno6:
So after all is said and done on this issue, what do you attribute your rear lockup problem  and low front braking force to?

Regards,
Henry

Offline Ronno6

• Frequent Member
  • Elder Student
« Reply #110 on: September 26, 2018, 04:28:16 PM »
Hi Ronno6:
So after all is said and done on this issue, what do you attribute your rear lockup problem  and low front braking force to?

Regards,
Henry

FWIW I believe that the JB5 rears are sent more pressure than the JB3 rears, due to the larger shoes but smaller bore cylinder.
This higher pressure would cause the narrower and smaller dia. JB3 shoes to lock up against the drums, especially as there was no load in the bed. This would happen prior to the combo valve sensing the pressure buildup and sending adequate pressure to the front calipers.
The system is now working as designed,

I believe that the mix of systems could not achieve balance.
My post of July 14th may explain the hows and whys, dunno 4 sure.
On another forum I ran across a member who had experienced the exact same symptom with the exact same mix of systems.
The only fix that worked for him was the one which worked for me.
Remote as it may be to believe, maybe the GM engineers had method to their madness........
« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 05:43:32 PM by Ronno6 »