Author Topic: Pedal feel  (Read 1410 times)

Offline gwcrim

• Registered Users
  • Far from a Newbie
Pedal feel
« on: September 29, 2019, 03:10:10 PM »
Long time no chat..... here's the situation tu jour.

I have a '73 Caprice convertible.  It's all bone stock.  The brake pedal seems way too firm.  So firm that I don't think I could do a panic stop if I had to. 

If I recall from back in the day, GM products had a softer brake pedal feel than a Chrysler product.  Was that not the case?

Anyway, one other item.  I hear a whistling sound.  Sort of load/throttle dependent.  Not always there.  Sounds like a vacuum leak but I've checked all hoses and replaced those that looked suspect.  Replaced the check valve on the power booster, too.

What am I missing?

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
Re: Pedal feel
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2019, 07:04:10 PM »
Sounds like the vacuum booster is not working. Ensure vacuum signal is present, test the check valve. See if the booster is holding a vacuum after engine shut off.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline gwcrim

• Registered Users
  • Far from a Newbie
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2019, 09:07:13 AM »
Sorry.  Forgot to mention that I did replace the booster and I've tested to see that it does, indeed, hold vacuum.

Could there be something wrong with the brake lines?  Dirt or other contamination?  It's the original master cylinder, probably the original fluid.

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2019, 06:21:10 PM »
Make sure no vacuum leaks at the hose. Engine off, pump the pedal repeatedly. With your foot on the brake pedal start the engine and see if the pedal drops.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10