Author Topic: Coilovers  (Read 11236 times)

Offline GUITAR1989

• Registered Users
    • What I've done to my truck so far :)
Coilovers
« on: February 14, 2011, 04:51:43 AM »
Hey guys :) Anybody running adjustable coilovers or airbags on ur truck? Im not looking to have my truck dragging on the ground but being able to mess with the my suspension would be nice. Im also curious about the air bags. Are they reliable? Do they ever blow out? what are the pros and cons on both type of suspension?
Price, Reliability, Versatility, Install difficulty, performance....Any info is much appreciated thanks guys :)
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 06:57:44 AM by GUITAR1989 »

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
Re: Coilovers
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2011, 05:23:21 PM »
Airbags have been around for enough years that they have been proven reliable.  If you get a well engineered kit, they will be mounted as such that any chaffing will be eliminated, therefore virtually eliminating blow outs.  No do they happen, sure, but the same can be said of tires, shocks, etc.

Based on what you are talking about, Air allows driver adjust-ability on the fly, but in general, you aren't going to be playing with the height that much, so...

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2011, 05:46:28 PM »
With air ride you need to control it as well... Are you talking about installing a link type suspension?
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline GUITAR1989

• Registered Users
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2011, 10:11:37 PM »
I was actually thinking about doing the rear suspension down the road a bit. I want to get the front updated first. Im kinda just wondering if there is any advantage in using air bags over coilovers. Im really not to fond of having to have an air tank and all the lines to install and maintain. I like the looks of coilovers by far I just dont know how the two stack up against eachother..airbags and coilovers that is.

Offline Da67goatman

• Site Supporters
  • Burban
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2011, 10:23:49 PM »
You can fill air bags with your home compressor, if you don't want to put all the tanks, lines, and stuff on your truck.  I have one of those small 12 air compressor/emergency lights in my truck, which could be used in a pinch situation to fill a bag.
<Pitcrew>
1989 R2500 Suburban mild 350 TBI 700r4 10.5" 14bolt 4.10 w/ 33s
1992 fullsize Blazer 4x4  35s no lift, 4.10s, Hella driving lights, TJ Flares, Huge bumpers, Snorkel, custom interior

Offline GUITAR1989

• Registered Users
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2011, 02:12:26 AM »
oh wow i didnt know u could just fill em up...i thought they needed linees leading to a tank x) well that makes them alot less of a pain...so could i put em in my truck and just fill em up at the gas station or with a tire air compressor occasionally? If thats the case thats a big bonus.

Offline beastie_3

• Josh
    • My truck pics
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2011, 02:42:38 AM »
Yes you can get the lines with the same valve as your tires.

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2011, 08:30:11 AM »
I really don't understand what you are trying to accomplish though. Coil-overs with stock suspension? Air bags instead of coil springs? Why do you want to do it?
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

Offline GUITAR1989

• Registered Users
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2011, 10:43:41 PM »
I was just wondering cause I want to update my front suspension...Im wanting to get tubular control arms with coilovers or possibly the entire set up from scots hot rods. From what Ive read so far coilovers are better for performance and air bags are better for comfort and that "Low look" Just dont want to buy coilover set up to find out airbags are better...or vice versa. Would Tubular control arms and coilovers provide any better handling or performance over stock spring and shock set ups, or do i need to get a whole scotts hot rods set up to achieve that? Are coilovers really superior in handling performance over air bags?

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2011, 06:13:39 PM »
With the right tuning, you can make anything handle.  Ridetech has a coarse setup and some of the shows they attend and I know they run some trucks through them.

Offline N2TRUX

• Global Moderator
  • Registered Users
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2011, 07:29:24 PM »
oh wow i didnt know u could just fill em up...i thought they needed lines leading to a tank x) well that makes them alot less of a pain...so could i put em in my truck and just fill em up at the gas station or with a tire air compressor occasionally? If thats the case thats a big bonus.
Technically yes, but for practical purposes no.

I DO NOT recommend running bags in the front with out a supply and reserve source. It is feasible, but has great potential to leave you with a truck that not drivable. If you wanted to add a set of bags in the rear and use a Schrader valve to fill them to compensate for load conditions, that one thing. Running front bags or an entire system with out a tank and onboard compressor is not something you should do. When it come to adjustable suspension, do it right or don't do it at all.

There are so many variables between an airspring and coil over spring system, it really depends on what your objective is.  What do you really want from your suspension? What mods have you done to your truck to improve its ride and handling?

Before you plan on suspension mods, you need to consider your trucks use as a whole.

Offline GUITAR1989

• Registered Users
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2011, 08:23:50 PM »
My trucks my daily driver so I want my truck to hug the road and cornor to its best potential. I dont plan on hauling much of anything..maybe smaller stuff but no hauling loads anything like that. A smooth ride would be nice but if it conflicts with handling then im good with a stiffer ride. The only change to my suspension is a flip kit "as far as i know". What can I do to make my truck hug the road a little better? Im getting the fealing new tubular control arms and coilovers arent what i need...

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2011, 08:47:32 PM »
Unfortunately there is no bolt in and go set up that will do everything and satisfy all but it sounds to me like you want a good handling truck. What stance do you want and how deep are your pockets?
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

Offline GUITAR1989

• Registered Users
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2011, 09:41:21 PM »
I actually like my truck how it sits now :) Ive never measured "cause im not sure where to measure from" so i dont know the exact numbers. Heres a pic the back is a bit up hill and the cround is a bit bumpy where the front is...so it could be sitting kinda funny in the pic.

As for how deep my pockets are...I dont have alot of cash. But im patient so if its possible to get each componant 1 at a time that would be fine :) slow and boring but fine lol.

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2011, 09:51:47 PM »
Looks like it's sitting higher in the front. I would say get the right stance you want with drop spindles and good springs. From there good sway bar and good shocks. See if it handles good enough for you.
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)