Author Topic: directionless burb  (Read 7896 times)

Offline tex62

• Lurker
directionless burb
« on: July 02, 2013, 02:31:03 PM »

Got this thing for free several years ago and since it wouldn't stay running my sister gave it to me. I got it going after some headaches. Turns out the new fuel pump they had put in didn't have the top hose clamp on it so it fell apart in the tank.  Use it for a daily beater and it works out since I only drive 2 miles to work  ;D

It had been getting rusty so I sanded the rusty parts and painted it with good old fashioned rattle can.

Afew a few weeks the rattle can started to flake off soooo I tried some plastidip just to keep from having to worry but it getting more rust on me.
so started like this as a test to see if I liked it.

I wasn't sure so I decided to do a little more.

yesterday got both sides down and had hood and roof left. didn't see my thumb there until I posted it here oops.

first coat roof.

1st coat hood.

About 2 or 3 coats from being done on the hood.

Paused until I get a few more cans maybe Friday. Almost done at this point. Have a few more spots to go over and be time to peel off the overspray on the windows mirrors and bumpers. oh yeah headlights too. comes off pretty easy just didn't bother today since I was cutting grass too.

87 chevy suburban. 350 tbi w/ 700r4. 2wd sluggish tank sporting plastidip paint.

Offline tex62

• Lurker
Re: directionless burb
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2013, 02:39:58 PM »
It is ready for interior gutting. needs new carpet and headliner and would like to recover the front bucket seats. I have toyed with converting it to 4wd, slamming it or maybe bagging it. Only thing still in my head at this point is that I would like to diesel swap it so I can continue to drive it and enjoy it.
87 chevy suburban. 350 tbi w/ 700r4. 2wd sluggish tank sporting plastidip paint.

Offline tex62

• Lurker
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2013, 08:07:05 AM »
Got the last cans of paint I needed to finish but can't get Mother Nature to work with me on the rain.  I have been told to fix the a/c after the paint so after that I may pull the carpet out or just get a bunch of cleaner and a scrub brush and see what I can do.

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2013, 12:38:26 AM »
about the conversion best to find a 4x4 burb with trashed body and swap bodys
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline tex62

• Lurker
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2013, 09:33:13 PM »
Maybe if one falls in my lap  just planning to prolong this one's life awhile. if money wasnt an option it would be alot cooler but it may turn full project once I am debt free (maybe a year and half away if nothing goes wrong) if I have somewhere to do it.

Offline bake74

• Build Thread
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2013, 07:02:53 PM »
     It looks to me like you already got the bug, before you know it the burb will look totally different.
#1: The easiest and most obvious solution to any problem is 99% of the time correct.
#2: There is no such thing as impossible, it just takes longer.
  74 k10, 77k10    Tom

Offline tex62

• Lurker
new pictures
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2013, 07:29:12 PM »
Found my digital camera so I went and took some pics. Other than finishing the spraying I haven't done anything else. Need to clean the over spray off.

Looks like it needs to be washed again too. 

Offline tex62

• Lurker
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2014, 07:07:34 AM »

More recent picture of the burb. I am looking for a daily driver so this thing will become more of a toy once I do instead of a beater.

Offline bake74

• Build Thread
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2014, 07:24:51 AM »
     That would look pretty cool dropped and with some nice rims.
#1: The easiest and most obvious solution to any problem is 99% of the time correct.
#2: There is no such thing as impossible, it just takes longer.
  74 k10, 77k10    Tom

Offline tex62

• Lurker
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2014, 08:06:03 AM »
     That would look pretty cool dropped and with some nice rims.

I have been debating on it. I am ready for some new wheels just can't decide what to put on it. Has been suggested that I should get some stock rally wheels and paint them red and leave the outside beauty ring chrome. Thinking I wheel put something around a 17" wheel though. Any suggestions?

Offline Displaced_Txn

• Registered Users
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2014, 03:01:06 PM »
stock rally wheels wouldn't be to bad, it all depends on the style of wheel you want.

Offline tex62

• Lurker
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2014, 08:52:48 AM »
I am not really picky but I am not interesting in anything flashy. Rules out most of the new wheels on the market. I would be perfectly fine with a regular steel wheel. Probably will go to a 16" or 17" just because it is easier to find them used in sets. Lucky to find anything in a 15" tire anymore with buying brand new and waiting on them to ship.

Offline Dan75k20

• Frequent Member
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2014, 05:24:30 PM »
How many cans of plastidip did you use

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

Offline tex62

• Lurker
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2017, 02:47:16 AM »
Late reply but it cost me around 110 bucks. Don't remember how many cans but I could have used a few more.