Author Topic: Filler neck trouble!  (Read 19836 times)

Online philo_beddoe

• 77 C-10
Filler neck trouble!
« on: November 20, 2015, 10:06:47 PM »
I thought i posted a long time ago but could not find.  Anyway, any common reason why i cannot squeeze the gas pump lever all the way, i have to squeeze very slightly or the gas will back up and out all over truck and ground. Could there be a blockage, is it the vent line?  Plus they are hard to find, if ya know where i can one, let me know, thanks.
Behold, the day of the LORD cometh, and thy spoil shall be divided in the midst of thee.  Zechariah 14:1

Offline Usareke

Re: Filler neck trouble!
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2015, 12:13:15 AM »
Well mine does that, I just pull the nozzle out a bit to where it just kinda rests on the bend and pump it there, works for me anyway, but it does tend to puke fuel out when the pump shuts off fast so I just put some paper towels under the nozzle or listen for that almost full sound and go at it by hand! Best of luck to ya!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

~ Zach

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2015, 07:12:57 AM »
ive always had problems with these new pumps. i did find a couple of the old school ones that dont have the pollution crap on them that seam to work better or i would just do what usareke said.
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Online philo_beddoe

• 77 C-10
Filler neck trouble!
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2015, 07:56:32 AM »
Yup, thats exactly what it does. When the fuel backs up and trips the shut-off, it pukes it out. There MUST be a reason for this, or else ALL the squarebodies would have this problem. Why did the engineers put that filler spot so low, need gravity!!!
Behold, the day of the LORD cometh, and thy spoil shall be divided in the midst of thee.  Zechariah 14:1

Offline Usareke

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2015, 08:03:30 AM »
Yeah I've always had this issue, that's the only way I've found to combat it. If you find something else please share with the rest of us! Lol

~ Zach

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2015, 08:09:31 AM »
i dont think it was a problem when our trucks were being built. but it has became a problem once the epa changed how the fuel nozzles at gas station are designed for less fuel vapor escaping.
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline enaberif

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2015, 10:00:16 AM »
Flip the fill nozzle upside down as it will sit better and flow better into the tank no more trip offs.

Everyone who drives a squarebody generally knows this.

Offline zieg85

• Global Moderator
    • 73-87 GM squarebody extended cab and conversions up to 91 R/V series
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2015, 10:22:25 AM »
Yup, thats exactly what it does. When the fuel backs up and trips the shut-off, it pukes it out. There MUST be a reason for this, or else ALL the squarebodies would have this problem. Why did the engineers put that filler spot so low, need gravity!!!

That was an issue back then.  That is one reason why they went to the gas doors in 1979.  They got the filler tube higher and at a better angle. 
Carl 
1985 C20 Scottsdale 7.4L 4 speed 3.21
1986 C10 under construction
https://www.facebook.com/groups/248658382003506/

Offline SMURff

• Just killing it
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2015, 11:43:37 AM »
I put it side ways it works well but you can't go really fast I've tried everything else but gas just spills out also I've been wanting to relocate the fillers to the top of the bed rail what are your opinions on that.?
78 Cheyenne

Offline Usareke

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2015, 11:51:58 AM »
I have a 79 and it still has this issue so I'm not sure fixed it until late 80's 

That was an issue back then.  That is one reason why they went to the gas doors in 1979.  They got the filler tube higher and at a better angle.

~ Zach

Online philo_beddoe

• 77 C-10
Filler neck trouble!
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2015, 06:06:02 PM »
So in summary, the reason it backs up is because its just too low? I was about to buy a new filler neck. There must be a fix for this, like three cars pull up and leave while im still sitting there. 
« Last Edit: November 21, 2015, 06:08:55 PM by philobeddoe »

Offline frotosride

• WFO CONCEPTS
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2015, 06:19:24 PM »
I really don't have thisproblem with my 16 gallon tank except random brand new gas stations. I typically just position it to where I know the fuel is aimed directly at the elbow in the fill line. With the 20 gallon tank I have to position it just right every time because the filler neck is so short. The guy at the plaza on the Jersey Turnpike was really getting frustrated with it because he couldn't just start it and walk away
"Beat it like a red-headed ford"
1987 v10 Silverado(LQ4), 87 R10,83 K20, 83 cucv 6.2 Detroit
2006 Boulevard M109R 109 cid,2019 M109R BOSS
2009 Jeep XK, (future LS Swap)
GSXR 750 engine awaiting go kart

Online philo_beddoe

• 77 C-10
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2015, 06:25:16 PM »
Yeah, even worse, MA just started using the little tab that locks the lever down so you dont have to hold the lever. I cant even put it on the first click!

Offline GregL

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2015, 09:43:40 PM »
This has been a complaint since this body style was introduced in 1973. I was working at a gas station pumping gas and everyone was howling about how they couldn't fill their trucks except at a trickle. The problem with the earlier trucks was that the filler neck angle was just too sharp at the top. Gas nozzles wouldn't even fit all the way in. This is more of a problem here in California with the stupid rubber cone on the pump nozzles. If they aren't compressed, no gas. So, like said earlier, either turn the nozzle upside down or shove a funnel in the neck and hold the rubber cone up with your hand. I have this same problem with my 1968 Firebird when I fuel up.

Offline LTZ C20

• "I'm here for a good time" -George Strait
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2015, 09:49:15 PM »
Ya know, I never knew people had this issue. I'm in Cali too, I usually just put the nozzle in the hole and set the handle at medium pump speed, it works fine, both tanks, driver & passenger. I've used full speed and trickle speed also and never had an issue. I just stand there and watch the bill go thru the roof. My fill ups are always hands free.
LTZ Cheyenne C20