Author Topic: sir michaels tailgate skin?  (Read 2939 times)

Offline lowc10

sir michaels tailgate skin?
« on: July 23, 2006, 05:13:00 PM »
Has anyone seen or used this? Killer ridez has done some and in a pic was a s.m. handle relocater and a peice of steel just big enough to fill in the indention. I was wondering if this was their skin. I think fbi's you have to cut the old skin off and weld on a new one.

Offline dirrty d84

Re: sir michaels tailgate skin?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2006, 08:36:00 PM »
i baught the sir michaels skin and yes it is just a piece of metal to cover the indention and has 3 bends. i did it but was inexpierenced at the time and messed it up. then about a year later i just used a piece of metal and it worked. i just welded it over top of the tailgate (no cutting) then fiberglassed it to keep from cracking then finished with bondo. works just as good and is alot cheeper than 100 dollars or so for a piece of steel with 3 bends

Offline lowc10

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2006, 08:41:00 PM »
see the peice I saw had no bends. talked to them today and they cut it out. said like 40 for the peice I might hit them up for it if they will ship it too

Offline dirrty d84

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2006, 08:57:00 PM »
if its 40 dollars then that isnt bad. the one i ordered from sir michaels was a little over 100. it had a bend on each side to roll the skin around and the same at the bottom. it was a complete waist of money. when you go to install it, if its anything like mine was, it will come from the very bottom up to the body line. do not cut the tailgate on the body line. the tailgate will lose all its strength and will never be right again. and your stock tailgate is about 300 dollars to replace unless u get one of them cheep aftermarket ones that sometimes dont fit

Offline lowc10

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2006, 10:37:00 PM »
oh this was just a peice that killer ridez had cut not sir michaels they use their handle relocaters. said 350 to relocatehandle, skin and prime they do good work from the pics I have seen