Author Topic: drip rail removal?  (Read 7034 times)

Offline doctrdoo

drip rail removal?
« on: September 09, 2006, 09:11:00 PM »
I have an 85 C10(standard cab) pickup.I want to remove my window drip rails(rails above each window) and seal up the screw mounting holes.What would be the best way to patch these small holes(i think there are 8-10 holes for each side).I asked a body shop about this and they said to just fill  in the holes with bondo.Does this sound like it will work ? I'm trying to restore this truck on the weekends and would like to eventually paint the cab soon. the knowledge on this site hasn't steered me wrong yet so any suggestions are appreciated.Thanks

Offline Redneckchevy

• Photo Bucket
drains
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2006, 09:10:00 PM »
I would use a welder then grind it smooth and then use a lil body filler.

1986 Chevrolet K10 Swb "Women love the hood scoop"
1997 Chevrolet K10 Lwb "Dunno what women love"

Offline Blazin

• Blazin new trails!
  • Global Moderator
Re: drip rail removal?
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2006, 09:27:00 PM »
Just body filler will fall out sooner or later. Weld them, grind them and then skim with filler. Make shure you cover your all your glass with welding blankets or a couple layers of card board so they don't get slag melted into them.

Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs

Offline shaved80

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2006, 12:26:00 AM »
wow. don't ever take your truck to that body shop!

like said, weld them up. then use kitty hair (filler with fiberglass strands) first, then regular filler. the kitty hair stops water from getting under and rusting it from the inside out

Offline Blazin

• Blazin new trails!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2006, 05:25:00 AM »
Yeah sorry i should have said use fiberglass filler first. I always use that first even when I am smoothing a dent repair out.  

Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs

Offline doctrdoo

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2006, 03:59:00 PM »
ok- thanks for everyones input and suggestions, i knew i could trust this site!.i'll need to get a bodyshop to do the welding as i dont think that i'm quite good enough at welding yet and my MIG welder isn't converted to use gas yet- but thats ok. i thought that i would need to weld those holes closed but thought i would ask some professionals at a body shop for their suggestions- guess i picked the wrong bodyshop.anyway- thanks agian for everyones input and suggestions.  

Offline yttaf

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2006, 07:39:00 PM »
I am doing this & I just used my little gasless mig welder. I just grinded the welds down after I got done with them. I have alot more body work to do yet though.

Offline doctrdoo

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2006, 08:12:00 PM »
I would do the welding myself(since i have a gasless welder) but i'm still learning to weld. i have practiced on an old hood but that didn't turn out so great. thats why i was asking a body shop about it.thanks for all the help and suggestions tho.

Offline Blazin

• Blazin new trails!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2006, 06:42:00 AM »
My opinion here. Gasless migs are worthless, if your welder has prvisions for it get the regulator, wire, & a bottle of gas. If not get a welder that you can use gas with.

Offline shaved80

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2006, 01:05:00 PM »
i agree, but on small holes like this they work fine.

Offline yttaf

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2006, 03:25:00 PM »
Blazin, why do you think gasless mig welders are useless on this kind of work or body work for that fact? Just curious...

Offline Blazin

• Blazin new trails!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2006, 10:17:00 PM »
Because they leave such a crapy finish. They don't penitrate well, pop, & splatter. I would perfer brazing over them.

Offline yttaf

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2006, 10:28:00 PM »
ok thanx for the reply. It's good info to know