Author Topic: Frame painting  (Read 3406 times)

Offline gmcdwight

Frame painting
« on: September 15, 2006, 07:05:00 PM »
Just wondering if anyone has sprayed their frame with spray on bed liner and what are your thoughts to this.I am doing a frame off resto and want something that is going to keep the rust off and is going to last long and also look good.

Offline CruzinHigh

• Registered Users
  • Chevy 4 life
Re: Frame painting
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2006, 12:24:00 PM »
I have my bed sprayed with a rhino-liner coating and I can say I am really happy with the result.

I don't know about spraying the frame, but it sounds like a great idea.  Don't forget that your entire frame will suddenly no longer be a direct connection to ground!  That could lead to some whacky electrical troubleshooting when you get to wiring it back up.

Are you planning to spray it yourself or have it professionally coated?  I researched both before having my bedliner done and the differences are huge.  The professonal coating is much thicker.

I guess in the end its not all that much different from the "undercoatings" that are on vehicles from factory applications.

Mike Carter
1986 Chevy K-10 4x4

8" lift project on the way soon!

Offline shaved80

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2006, 12:46:00 PM »
if you do it yourself, definetly go with spray instead of roll on

Offline Blazin

• Blazin new trails!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2006, 07:55:00 PM »
SEM is the best do it your self spray liner in my opinion. I agree with the ground idea.

Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs

Offline 123 pugsy

Re: Frame Painting
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2006, 07:58:00 AM »
You should have the frame sandblasted and coated with ?epoxy? primer before applying the bed liner.If you spray it on over rust,it won't last long.

Pugsy
76 C10 LWB
TPI 350

Offline Blazin

• Blazin new trails!
  • Global Moderator
Re: Frame Painting
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2006, 09:30:00 PM »
I agree but figured it went without saying. I use a self etching primer, then an epoxy primer on clean metal.

Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs

Offline Destro

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2006, 11:38:00 PM »
I wired wheeled my frame then painted it with Rustoleum rusty metal primer than sprayed it with Dupont spray on bed liner. Used the special gun that fits on the gallon can and my compressor. Came out really nice and held up fine.