Author Topic: Truck declared a total loss, what can I expect?  (Read 11517 times)

Offline travisr1988

• Frequent Member
Truck declared a total loss, what can I expect?
« on: December 26, 2016, 07:33:19 PM »
My truck (1977 c10 custom deluxe short bed stepside, 350/350)
 was backed into in October and sustained damage to the passenger door and cab corner, the damage to the door is severe but the damage to the cab corner is miniscule and only to the outer skin. Now the insurance finally sent out an adjuster who reported it as in overall good condition. Mechanically good, interior good (after I made him look up the trim options for a custom deluxe because he thought trim was missing) and paint and body as fair. Despite the adjuster submitting it as overall good condition the insurance declared it a total loss. What can I expect now? Will I have to fight them to keep the title clear? And what kind of offer can I expect and what would the actual value be? It is my daily driver and is very reliable, despite the carburetor having trouble holding a tune it has never once broke down or failed to start since I got it running 2-3 years ago, it does have some rust as expected but none easily visible, no large dents or noticable damage (other than what was caused by the accident) visible from 20 feet, paint is decent as in from 20 feet it looks decent, closer you notice the patina, it's driven to and from work, and I work in a very expensive area, and people are always telling me it's a nice truck, which always catches me off guard because it needs work. I would post pictures but the pictures are 5mb each and I can't seem to resize them without making them very poor quality.
1979 Chevrolet Silverado C20 rclb cammed 355/th400/4.10 - sold
1977 Chevrolet Custom Deluxe c10 rcsb stepside 355/th350/3.42
Vortec heads lunati cam edelbrock intake headers

Offline 1967KaiserM715

• 1985 GMC K1500 w/ 6.5 TD
Re: Truck declared a total loss, what can I expect?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2016, 07:54:05 PM »
As long as work done to fix is less then declared value, they should be able to fix it. A door and some cab work shouldn't top 1000 to fix, and if the truck is in fair condition it should be worth close to 2500-3000minimum.

I would try to appeal the decision, but try backing it with some repair estimates and local sale values of similar trucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Current Vehicles:1985 GMC K10(Daily) 1991 GMC K2500(Daily) 1975 Beetle(not running) 1985 Mercedes 300D(not running) 1952 M35    1967 M715(not running)
 1986 Chevy K30(under repair)

Offline zieg85

• Global Moderator
    • 73-87 GM squarebody extended cab and conversions up to 91 R/V series
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2016, 08:18:27 PM »
If you have the title there is no reason to give it up unless the insurance company is buying it.  If it isn't your fault you have every right to fight for it.
Carl 
1985 C20 Scottsdale 7.4L 4 speed 3.21
1986 C10 under construction
https://www.facebook.com/groups/248658382003506/

Online VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2016, 08:58:05 PM »
Lawyer up if you have to but don't let them dictate your trucks future. I carry extra insurance on all of my trucks with classic insurance.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠¯¯¯¯¯'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline kielyjw

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2016, 09:22:18 PM »
I had a similar problem 10 years ago when a drunk decided to park under my work van. The woman told the police that I said she could park there. Anyway, the insurance totalled the van and gave me $1700 for it. They then offered to sell it back to me for $200. It only needed a rear transmission bearing. It had a massive commercial bumper on it. So, I got $1500 and the van back. If the title doesn't change hands they don't have to issue a salvage title. But if they do, most states will give you a clean title after you make the repairs that caused it to be totaled. Then call Haggerty Insurance in Traverse City Michigan and get an aggreed upon value policy. They are very reasonable. I have anagreed value of $9000 for $450 a year.
Kielyjw
74 Custom Deluxe C10
454 4 barrel, Red and White

Offline travisr1988

• Frequent Member
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2016, 07:51:09 AM »
Ok, so if they insist on totalling it out will I have to surrender the title? Today already started off bad, on my way to work somebody in a Honda was following too close and found out how slick the road is when it's sprinkling, luckily it doesn't appear to have damaged the truck but my steel bumper worked over that poor Honda, the guy didn't speak much English but his friend showed up and translated, so nows there's 2 claims open for my poor truck but at least he didn't run like alot of people do.

Online VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2016, 08:17:13 AM »
It is your truck, you don't have to surrender anything. I would resolve the claim with the guy that rear ended you first and then pursue the claim against the other accident. Express that you are unwilling to accept it as a total loss and that the vehicle is a classic vehicle in which you are intending to keep. What does your insurance company say? Did you express that you are disputing their assessment? Have you gotten your own quote to fix it? Get backup documentation showing the value of the truck. Find like kind and quality vehicles that have sold on eBay as an example of the value. Submit your backup documentation, the quote and tell them you want them to subrogate if need be. The more of a PITA you are the more they will be willing to just get you off their back. You can also express that ever since the incident you have been having undue stress, neck and back pain.... They don't like to go there.

Years ago I was rear ended by a telephone company boom truck. Luckily I had put a steel bumper back on the truck just days before and removed the roll pan. Nevertheless he pushed me into the car in front of me and cracked up my beloved C10. They sent an adjuster out and offered me $1400 for the truck and to total it. I refused to accept their assessment and escalated the matter. I got a quote from the body shop to fix the truck and when they called me back I gave him the dollar amount of the quote and explained how my head hit the rear window and I would be making a trip to the doctor later that day. Long story short, I received about $5,500, fixed my truck myself, bought some new goodies and paid off my tool box with money left over. Moral of the story is you can fight it and don't quit until you get what you deserve.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠¯¯¯¯¯'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline travisr1988

• Frequent Member
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2016, 09:11:44 AM »
Today's accident didn't cause any visible damage, so I would think as long as I don't find any hidden damage it would be resolved really quickly, as for the previous accident I'm still trying to sort out it's already been over 2 months and not having a fully functioning vehicle is a PITA. The passenger door as well as windows are completely inoperable so if I need to pick up my son or take him anywhere while my wife is at work I have to load him from the traffic side (luckily I haven't had to since the accident in question). When it's hot I only have the driver window for ventilation, luckily it hasn't been 100+° lately. And the fact that I had to call them constantly to get them to do anything and had to fight to get them to take full liability because 20% liability for being in the wrong place at the wrong time is bull$h!t. I only want what's fair, and for my truck to be labeled slavage because some idiot backed into the door is not fair.

Offline ehjorten

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2016, 08:45:51 AM »
I recently went through this with my '77 K20 Silverado.

http://forum.73-87chevytrucks.com/smforum/index.php?topic=33460.msg284495#msg284495

I did a lot of research on the laws regarding Total Loss Valuation in my state (Washington) and researched a ton about my vehicle and comparables.  The insurance company was a cut-rate business that wanted to total my vehicle and give me $1,800 for a minor fender-bender.  Ummm...NO!!!

In the end they gave me a check for the full-amount of the repair estimate.  An estimate that I got from a reputable classic vehicle restoration shop!  I wrote them a long e-mail listing out numerous grievances regarding their valuation report.  It was all factual with some serious questions that I raised about how they were doing business.  I threatened to go to my State Insurance Commissioner.  They just decided that they were going to give me the full amount and never did answer any of my questions!  I should have pressed the issue, but I was finally happy to have received my money.

This was one of the single best resources I found on the internet
http://beresfordlaw.com/total-loss-determination-of-a-rare-or-uncommon-vehicle-in-washington-state/

Also, use Kelley Blue Book, NADA & Hagerty to research the value of your vehicle.  Comparables have to be same year or one year newer and have to be within 150 miles of where the vehicle is garaged.  They have to be similar vehicles, not just like model.  They can't say use a 1/2 ton model Cheyenne with a straight-six and manual windows if yours is a 3/4 ton Silverado with power everything!  In my case they used one vehicle from Seattle and one vehicle from Minnesota that were not like vehicles and they were private sales off of like Craigslist or something where there was no VIN numbers and no pictures available for me to review.  I actually looked up the information off of the CCC Valuation report and called the two people!  Obviously the one from Minnesota was NOT within 150 miles of me!  I then also found out through calling CCC, my DMV and Experian AutoCheck that no one had any records of my vehicle despite the extensive records that the CCC Valuation showed on my vehicle!  I was VERY skeptical of all of that record stuff because I knew the history of my vehicle and knew the real mileage and the information just didn't make sense!  None of the quoted sources had any of this record data that was showed!!!  This was the part that I was one breath away from calling my State Insurance Commissioner if they were not going to pay me.

In my state the repair estimate has to be less than the valuation of the vehicle minus the scrap value.  From memory the scrap value of the truck was like $600 and the repair estimate was about $4,300...so the value of the vehicle had to be more than $4,300 + $600 = $4,900.  I was placing my '77 at somewhere between $7,000 and $8,500.  The insurance company said...I don't think we can agree to the value, but we can cut you a check for the full repair quote and overnight it to you!  I said...GREAT!

Long story short...they will try to screw you and you need to defend yourself if you want to be made whole again by getting your truck fixed properly!
« Last Edit: December 28, 2016, 01:36:21 PM by ehjorten »
-Erik-
1991 V3500 - Gen V TBI 454, 4L80E, NP205, 14 bolt FF, D60, 8" Lift on 35s
1977 K20 Silverado - 350, THM350, NP203, 14 bolt FF, D44, Stock Lift on 31s
1969 Chevelle Malibu Sport Coupe - EFI350, THM350
1968 Chevrolet Step-side Pickup - 300HP L6

Offline travisr1988

• Frequent Member
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2016, 10:01:21 AM »
Thanks, I'm looking up total loss and insurance laws in my state (Texas) and so far I found the threshold is 100% value,  I find it very hard to believe a door and a cab corner is worth nearly as much as a complete running, driving and reliable truck. But I'll look more into it, my dad said to fight them and then make them a deal; accept a lesser payout under the condition that it does not get a salvage title. He did that with his fiero, they totalled it because someone ran over the front end and cracked the steering rack and bent the column, he only wanted what he paid for parts at a junkyard ($60) but they insisted on totalling it so he fought and ended up with $1400 and a clean title still. He's dealt with insurance several times and I haven't so I want to be as prepared as possible.

And an update on yesterday's accident, we put it up on the rack last night and found no damage at all, the bumper didn't even look like it had any new damage. So I'm not going to worry about that accident and tell his insurance nothing's damaged so I can focus on the claim I'm already fighting.

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2016, 09:52:12 AM »
like the others stated. insurance companies will try and screw you, when i totaled my 04 impala they only wanted to give me what i owed on it. 12k (from memory) but it was worth 14k. i had the room on the farm to store the car till they agreed to pay so i had the leverage on them. i didnt need the money right then so i was in no hurry to sign anything.
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline travisr1988

• Frequent Member
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2016, 05:02:45 PM »
Irish, I'm still driving to and from work and although I would like to get this behind me I have time and have no problem fighting, it's been 2.5 months already now.

Offline Twcoley

• New Users
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2017, 09:06:58 AM »
What the insurance company is looking at as far as value is what the NADA value of the truck is nothing anymore than that, if you had just spent money on like engine rebuild or transmission or new tires they will add value they are also taking in account for mileage and interior and exterior condition. My guess is that they are probably valuing the tractor for between 2200 to 3600 dollars. I would suggest that you have them look at doing a appraised value using Hagertys.

Offline travisr1988

• Frequent Member
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2017, 09:17:13 PM »
Well they finally answered the phone today and their offer was $1500, $900 if I keep the truck. Parts alone to repair the damage cost about that much not including little things that will likely need replaced like fasteners or seals. The person that ended up talking to me wasn't even the claims adjuster that was supposed to call me, I called several times and left several messages so I decided to ignore the extension and let it go to an operator and told them to find me someone to speak with about it. Needless to say I will be refusing that offer, if they can find me, locally, a shortbed stepside truck in the same condition with a documented rebuilt 350 that runs and drives and is mechanically sound that I know will get me to and from work everyday without fail for what they offer, then, maybe then, the offer would be worth considering. But from what I have found that offer won't get me a longbed truck that runs and drives good, let alone a shortbed and forget about finding a stepside that runs and drives for that. Around here a stepside bed alone is $500 not including the tailgate or floor.